HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:27 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
Wow. It's nice to see such a clean plane Orion. Mine has been through a lot, but still flies well.

That packing tape just cleared you for some cool SNOW flying also.

We want video
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I want video too. I'll see if the wife will shoot for me tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Oh and by the way, we don't get snow down here. At least not enough to fly off of.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Last edited by Orion Pax; Jun 14, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Here's my Seawind doing what it does best. Steve Koelle Photo.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:50 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well here is the video of the Seawind taking to the skies from grass on the stock setup. I would of had more but the mosquito's were out this morning and when you hear my wife say stop, thats when she ran for the Jeep with my daughter in tow. I landed on the next pass and we hauled ***.

Great Planes EP Seawind (0 min 45 sec)

Orion
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:07 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Mosquitos in Shreveport! Who Would've Thunk. LOL

Nice Takeoff. Smooth flight.

MIke McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
LOL, I killed one that made a mosquito hawk look small. There were 4 on my left arm and I thought I was going to be carried away. There is something in the water here.

Thanks Mike, I wish I had the landing on video too. It was smooth and slow despite my haste. Its funny how nervous I was with my first couple of planes but with the 2 maidens this weekend, I didn't twitch one bit. Starting to be like second nature to me. Hopefully I will be able to contribute more complete videos later on. I need to get a good video camera. The previous video was shot off my Canon 450 elf. Looks a lot better before youtube.

Orion
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:55 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
LOL, I killed one that made a mosquito hawk look small. There were 4 on my left arm and I thought I was going to be carried away. There is something in the water here.

Thanks Mike, I wish I had the landing on video too. It was smooth and slow despite my haste. Its funny how nervous I was with my first couple of planes but with the 2 maidens this weekend, I didn't twitch one bit. Starting to be like second nature to me. Hopefully I will be able to contribute more complete videos later on. I need to get a good video camera. The previous video was shot off my Canon 450 elf. Looks a lot better before youtube.

Orion

Ha! What's in the water is mosquito larva!!! My Dr told me the other day that he is telling ALL his patients to use bug spray...that here in MS we already have had about 6 or 7 cases, and lost a few folks (not elderly) last year to the West Nile Virus. If you get it, there ain't no treatment....you just ride it out, and hope. Although, I think the "uproar" about the West nile is sorta funny when we lose less than 20 or so nationwide to it, and about 30,000 plus to the flu each year?!?!?

Nice flight. I just might have to get (same as "need"...heh heh) one of these beautiful planes!

I noticed a post further back in the thread about someone using the BP21 motor, and it's worked fine. That is a good price on motor and ESC for less than $30....here:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail

....with only $2 shipping. I've bought from this fella before, and he's honest and reliable. But, how would you mount this motor on the supplied motor mount?? Anyone know? I've got some micro servos and a DX6 with RX for it. So, it would be nice to just order this little combo and the plane and be set.

Any help appreciated!!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:44 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
You can rock this one with the stock prop. I have one and got an 18 amp esc for cheap too

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B1488466

You may use an 8/6 apc sf or e , also after you check your amps. I have one in a lighter model using a 9/6 and 10/4.5 staying below 16amps on a tp1320. It's a few ounces lighter though
Last edited by coolboarder; Jun 17, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:50 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Looks like a great deal! I really already have a couple 25+ amp brushless ESCs.

Thanks!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:10 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
Onboard video - Cockpit view

Post Flight check:

Receiver underwater - check
battery underwater - check
wing bolt loose with over 1" play at the tips - check

Seawind Onboard Water Flying "After the Storm" (4 min 58 sec)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:22 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Hey great video. I think you're the first to do AP with the Seawind.

Now you have me thinking. I can house my 900mhz wireless camera in the canopy.....hmmm. Buy an extra canopy for when I don't want to use the camera.....hmmm. Ah, too much work...forget it. I'll just keep using the Soarstar with floats for AP.
http://www.dannytroy.com/soarstar900mhz1.jpg or http://www.dannytroy.com/soarstar1small.jpg

Anyway, what camera setup are you using? It has very good quality. With the newer digital cameras it's hard to tell whether it's a camcorder with compressed video, or just the digital's onboard video.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Awesome video man! You must be a nascar fan. All those left turns made me feel like I was on the track at Rockingham. lol I really liked the time of day you flew. The reflection on the canopy is beautiful.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
Your right about those obnoxious left hand turns. I was having a hard time with it and was not able to fly like normal.

The seawind was flying terribly weird and thats because when I was messing around with it before I got video i smacked it good on the water when this boat pulled up beside me. I was hardly a few feet off the ground and she was perpendicular to the water. In my haste I started up the cam and flew, but the wing was not secure and the fuse was filled up with water. That's no exajuration either.

It was flying like a typewriter and I knew there was something wrong, but the vid was going. I had this perfectly balanced and when I took off I had to put in 8 clicks of up elevator

Whatever, I am getting my moneys worth from this plane

post on the cheap little cam
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=421
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:05 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Man you had a full hull, a loose wing and you were still able to keep it in the air, not to mention the loop you did and you kept her steady in flight. Hats off to you my friend. Thats one for the books and you have video proof.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
4 Posts
Music

That was great music too. Who was it?
my dog baloo is offline Find More Posts by my dog baloo