HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Thanks Frank,

The blind nut is definitely a 3mm thread. I screwed in a 3mm screw to test it.
They evidently just plan for us to force fit a coarse wood screw into the blind nut.

I think I will find a long 3mm screw and use that. I don't like forcing things to fit.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:00 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
I agree with you, if I had looked I would have done the same thing, funny, it felt like it was going into wood.....I think that's a bug they should fix.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
Thanks Frank,

The blind nut is definitely a 3mm thread. I screwed in a 3mm screw to test it.
They evidently just plan for us to force fit a coarse wood screw into the blind nut.

I think I will find a long 3mm screw and use that. I don't like forcing things to fit.

Tim
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fullscale Hellfire Missile
Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Taking mine out on Raystown lake in PA. tomorrow.. 28 mi. long lake,, temps forecast in the low 90's wind 5-10mph... digital camera is coming this time!... Kinda hard to find a good place for it on our 16' fourwinns bowrider though. I'm afraid it'll blow overboard when I'm skiing.. Oh well.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
..... Kinda hard to find a good place for it on our 16' fourwinns bowrider though. I'm afraid it'll blow overboard when I'm skiing.. Oh well.
Well, if it does blow overboard, it will float....

I noticed the weird bolt and nut selection by the ARF maker, but mine worked well enough that I passed by it...probably should have mentoned it.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
If you like carnage, check out what happened to my seawind on the thread "seawind explodes in Lake Raystown PA"..... It was a real bummer, I was having a great time with it all day....
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Ouch, tic..that hurt to look at.

I made a few mods last night and got another flight in today on the grass.

The GWS outrunner was running to warm for my taste, so I spent 15.95 on a BP 2212-13 motor, which is almost identical to the suggested GP Rimfire (1000 Kv vs 950 Kv.) This is an EXCELLENT budget motor and it is not running warm at all, even with the heat today.

I swapped to an APC 8-6 slow fly prop. Seems to work better.

I moved the CG back a little by moving my 3 cell 1700 lipo to the aft end of the battery compartment...CG is now about 3/16 back from stock, but is it still a hair nose heavy, for my taste.

I shimmed my new firewall for the 4 bolt motor about 1/32 inch at the bottom, for a bit of upthrust. I think it needs a little more......

The little Seawind is dialing in nicely...I like it more and more...

I was down at the Fort Worth Planesmen's tailgate swap meet today and the little Seawind had zero trouble taking off in the mowed 1" high grass at their field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2007, 01:16 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
Im flying now at 1/4 aft of the recommended cg and do not plan on any more mods besides a different prop.

Can I have more info on this budget bp motor, I got a 19oz float plane that could use a motor.

This is probably a good time to ask the professionals how to land a seaplane?
Do you want to land on the step with some speed and then power down or
land more like a three point landing at stall speeds?

I have not had the opportunity to fly in calm water yet so as I wait for my can of corrosionX to arrive I will be looking for opinions.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:49 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Coolboarder, I like to land the Seawind at close to stall speed in a 3-point attitude. I've found that if you try to land too fast, the plane skips and bounces and, if you have 1 wing lower than the other and drag a tip, you risk a nasty splash. Of course, if you get too slow and stall, you'll plop down on the water, but it will be at a much slower and safer speed. The Seawind glides really well with power off and the elevator and ailerons remain effective at very slow speeds. Use the Corrosion-X and tape the front of the Canopy before you try ANY water flying. My 2.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Yep, land it as slow as possible with a nose high attitude.. Don't risk a stall but don't come in hot either...
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder
Im flying now at 1/4 aft of the recommended cg and do not plan on any more mods besides a different prop.

Can I have more info on this budget bp motor, I got a 19oz float plane that could use a motor.

This is probably a good time to ask the professionals how to land a seaplane?
Do you want to land on the step with some speed and then power down or
land more like a three point landing at stall speeds?

I have not had the opportunity to fly in calm water yet so as I wait for my can of corrosionX to arrive I will be looking for opinions.
Here are the BP inexpensive outrunner motors:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V450327

The 2212-13 is VERY close to the suggested Rimfire. A higher RPM option would be the 2212-10 and an 8/3.8 or 8/4 prop

They are quite comparible to Welguards.

As other have said, the best way to land the Seawind is slow and near the stall...but before the stall...Slow is good and minimum sink rate at touchdown is good...gives the best results.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:03 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,506 Posts
Flew mine today - 2 takeoffs and landings on the water, and one SOG cycle. Using the recommended setup and motor, she is a nice float plane. Plenty of power in the air, she handles like a warbird. I need to learn to do a water take off - mine look like a drunken sailor at the helm. Once I get on step, she is up and away but getting there is a crazy dance step. As stated above, she is very clean in the air and glides for ever. My first landing on water was a sort of semi-stall plop. No water got in. My second landing was one of those skip-skip-skip landings. The only negative is the color choice makes orientation challenging in a roll. The blue hull and v-stab all mix together.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Aug 26, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:12 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
I had my first opportunity to witness the spectacular Seawind perform today at our field. It was powered with an AXI 2808/10 and screqamed through the air a half throttle but could not take off from our grass field.
It did some of the wildest aerobatics imaginable and convinced ne that ths is one really hot performer. We did notice that on a "slow" speed low level pass that the pod flexed downward when FULL power was applied causing it to dive downward. When it landed we could see how easy it was to flex the pod.
BEWARE!!!!
I'm now convinced this bird is fantastic and if you like to fly FAST aerobatics this is a plane for you.
AWESOME. WOW
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
The trick to fast and straight takeoffs is to hold full up elevator until it breaks the water and is airborn.. The manual even mentions this and there is no worry that it will go straight up and stall or snap, it doesn't.. Just relax the back pressure once it's airborne... Also, right aileron is needed during the entire take off run... Less and less as the speed builds but even if you have perfect lateral balance, it wants to drag the left tip float a little under power... Try just these two things and your takeoffs will be straight and true. Choppy water can actually HELP. (at least it did for me)... When you catch a ripple or small wave it will LEAP into the air early...
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:53 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Tic, thanks for the helpful information. The Seawind could not takeoff from grass. Two experienced flyers tried, so it was hand launched.
Don't know how much up elevator was applied or set at but she sure flies great.
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:38 AM
Super Cub fan
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
673 Posts
I broke down on Friday and got mine. Built it Saturday with the recommended RimFire 28mm 950Kv motor, SS25 Amp esc and the the ElectriFly 1250 11.1v pack. I test flew Saturday just before it got dark and was impressed at how she took off from the grass. I took it to my old clubs Electric Fun Fly yesterday and must have flown it 4-5 times. My only mistake was bringing one battery. It took off from the grass except for one flight. I can't wait to fly it off water
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy