SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:47 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I tried a TP 1320 11.1 volt pack and wasn't happy.. It would not ROG and needed extra weight in the nose.... My tanic 1500 3S pack is a world of difference, no extra weight needed and it had much more power
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I tried a TP 1320 11.1 volt pack and wasn't happy.. It would not ROG and needed extra weight in the nose.... My tanic 1500 3S pack is a world of difference, no extra weight needed and it had much more power
How are the comparable ages of the packs? Any chance the 1320 is a little older with more cycles on it?

A 1320 in good shape really ought to do fairly well, as the load is only about 10-11C.

However, I did notice a touch more oomph in the same model (not a Seawind) going from a 3S 1320 TP prolite to a 3S Dualsky 1700, and both packs were on their third cycle and were bought at the same time.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:21 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
I just finished mine tonight, using a berg 4l mounted forward as is the 25 amp heli-max speed control and rimfire motor. Would not balance with the 1320 as I was hoping, a 2200 align 20c all the way forward was the ticket, as was the 2100 TP, I was getting about 7050 rpm with the stock prop and 11.5 amps peak, about 135 watts. AUW is around 20 ounces-20.5.

Hoping to maiden tomorrow. Kit went together nicely, no real modifications, did some hinge tape over the wing joints above and below to seal out water.

Crud, I just realized I never glued in the servo tray, it was a nice snug press fit...........good thing I decided to type this up.........man, don't work on planes when tired.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
There must be some differences in molded fuse weight, or something....perhaps in the weight of paint applied.

My Berg 4L is under the wing and my lighter 3S 1700 is not all the way forward in the battery compartment and I am making the stock CG.......which I still think it a little conservative on the part of GP. I am going to pull the CG back about 1/8-3/16 this weekend on the next flights.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
Maiden this morning....

What a Sweatheart! I put in two flights with an Align 2100 20C 3S and a TP 2100 3S 12C pack. CG was spot on, plane was very stable, could probably move it back to get better snaps.

I was worried that the 8x6 prop wouldn't be sufficient, I checked it at 7050 rpm, thrusthp said about .6 pounds of thrust, however the plane flew great.

Takeoff was pretty uneventful. I did notice you do have to hold full up elevator and keep the throttle up to get good steering response when taxiing. If you don't hold the tail down with throttle/elevator it doesn't respond well. I was also worried that the throws were a little on the low side, but I found that the low rates were quite good and I only used high rate for faster rolls. The ailerons were quite effective on takeoff, as soon as a little speed is built up you can use them easily to keep the wings level.

This plane has a very nice scale takeoff run, it isn't short, won't shoot off the water, but it accellerates quickly, I found holding full up elevator, it tracked very straight, if it did catch a wingtip, it just yawed, and didn't do anything drastic. So, hold full up elevator, full throttle, keep wings level and let it break off the water. Flying at half throttle was nice and easy and kept altitude, if you don't bank too hard. Split Esses at 60% throttle were nice and big, rolls took a bit of down elevator when inverted. If flies inverted very well, nice outside loops. I did notice that even with the large amount of throw on full rates the rudder isn't very effective in the air, you can't really fly it rudder/elevator only, and it didn't want to do stall turns well.

landing was a piece of cake, chop throttle on downwind, gentle turn to base and final, keep the nose level and let it slow, I greased a few landings, and a few stalled a few inches above the water and it just plopped and skipped a couple of times, but never dug the nose in. All in all a real pleasure to assemble, and fly, a nice generic aerobatic seaplane!

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,509 Posts
I guess I better try one, sounds great.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Last edited by Tom Korn; Aug 21, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:24 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I just went swimming after mine!....
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:47 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I just went swimming after mine!....
why , you dont swim for an electric seaplane
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:27 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
I picked up one from my LHS today. Overall a pretty good kit although a bit pricey (by about $15) for foam. I was impressed with the amount of finishing done and not a lot of shipping rash. I got the recommended Rimfire 28-30-950. Everything fit just fine except that the pushrod for the elevator is too short! I got two rudder pushrods. No big worries, just a hassle. Otherwise it would be a one night build.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:06 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Actually, I only had to swim for the canopy, the plane was upside down (take off accident) and I was able to boat it in, prop and motor submerged.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Just finished putting mine together. Started this morning and it is done.
This is the fastest ARF I ever assembled.

Hope to maiden this weekend.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:01 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
One question.
Is the water rudder supposed to be twisted?
Mine has a twist that would turn the plane to the left if the rudder
was neutral.

Tim
Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
I noticed mine was twisted also. And except for having to make another trip to the hobby shop yesterday evening to get the elevator pushrod, this ARF would have gone together in about 3 easy hours.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I ran into one other problem.
I noticed that my wing did not seem to lock down tightly and I found that the
hold down screw was not long inough to extend into it's hardpoint enough.

I went ahead and popped off the little foam wing support because I was going to glue on a taller hardwood block for the screw to meet.
What I found was that there was a 3mm steel blind nut in there, but the hold down screw is a wood screw. I am going to have to find a 3mm machine screw long enough to reach the blind nut. Or just replace the entire wing mount set up with something else.

Did everyone else have a wood screw for the hold down screw?

Tim
Old Aug 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
That's interesting, yes I had a wood screw, or at least a very coarse machine screw, mine also didn't feel real snug, till I held the wing down tight and carefully tightened it down till it was bottomed out fully, I didn't dig around and see a blind nut since I saw it was a wood screw I think my attachment is pretty snug, and I don't see that I'll ever need to pull the wing off any time soon, In fact I taped over all the wing joints to keep water out.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
I ran into one other problem.
I noticed that my wing did not seem to lock down tightly and I found that the
hold down screw was not long inough to extend into it's hardpoint enough.

I went ahead and popped off the little foam wing support because I was going to glue on a taller hardwood block for the screw to meet.
What I found was that there was a 3mm steel blind nut in there, but the hold down screw is a wood screw. I am going to have to find a 3mm machine screw long enough to reach the blind nut. Or just replace the entire wing mount set up with something else.

Did everyone else have a wood screw for the hold down screw?

Tim
RCG Plus Member