HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
Thats cool, I LOVE living here but I am tired of all the cold and snow. I lived up in the county for about 30 years and now live in Carmel, about 12 miles south of Bangor.
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Had a good time at the Weatherford, Tx float fly today! Perfect weather, if a liottle hot..up close to 95 and humid. Winds were light and variable and the water surface was great...almost a mirror.

Ernie (UAVpilot) and I had Seawinds in attendance. We had both modified our tip floats for more clearance in the taxi and takeoff run. Ernie took off a constant 3/8" and I actually flatbottomed mine at a slight angle. I took off about 3/16" at the rear and about 3/8" at the point where the bottom of the tip float is the fattest and starts to curve up.

Now I don't have to hold full up through the takeoff run and carefully mind the ailerons. The wingtips tend to glance off the water if they touch with some speed, instead of digging in. I highly recommend a tip float trim job.

Ernie found his trim REALLY helped on rougher water days.

so...think about trimming those tip floats!....
Although this is an old post, I'm building my second Seawind just received from new inventory at Tower Hobbies. I'm looking for an update from Ton or Ernie about how the trim versus adding a plastic diverter on the wing tips helps to keep the tips from going under or the grab and spin in rough water.

Tks in advance.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no stick
Although this is an old post, I'm building my second Seawind just received from new inventory at Tower Hobbies. I'm looking for an update from Ton or Ernie about how the trim versus adding a plastic diverter on the wing tips helps to keep the tips from going under or the grab and spin in rough water.

Tks in advance.

Ed
I would do BOTH
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Ed
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:47 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,943 Posts
Or you could do neither and fly it stock. I haven't changed the tips on mine at all. I use full up elevator for all my takeoffs and no longer have any problems with water loops. I use high rates and put in full elevator before I even begin to taxi. I don't let off the elevator until the plane breaks the water.

Just a thought. Try it stock and use full up for takeoffs. If you don't like the way it works, you can always add the strips and try again. If you still don't like it, you can trim the tips and try again.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Yep, I haven't changed a thing on mine...Like Kingsflyer says, try it stock first.. I've had no problems using full up elevator for ALL takeoffs
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Or you could do neither and fly it stock. I haven't changed the tips on mine at all. I use full up elevator for all my takeoffs and no longer have any problems with water loops. I use high rates and put in full elevator before I even begin to taxi. I don't let off the elevator until the plane breaks the water.

Just a thought. Try it stock and use full up for takeoffs. If you don't like the way it works, you can always add the strips and try again. If you still don't like it, you can trim the tips and try again.

Mike McD
Mike , somehow I knew you were going to say this....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:58 PM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
Mine came today.....now just need to pick a motor.
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:18 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Successful SeaWind Maiden!

Finally had a break in our weather today, and got to do my maiden. Been over a month since I've flown anything, between rain, wind and snow. Oh Lord, I hate winter!
Did a ROG flight today. Took a long time for the plane to break free from the ground, I actually didn't think it was gonna make it. I sort of bumped the elevator up and down a few times, and kinda "rocked" it into the air. Once it broke free from the ground, it shot up like a rocket. Really solid climb rate! I had to give it considerable down trim to even it out. Once trimmed though, it flew like a champ. Good speed, nice roll rate, did a few loops. Flew it for about 5 minutes, then down for a nice, gentle landing. All in all, a total success!
One thing though, noticed a few nicks in the fuse from prop strikes. Must have been a wee bit of fuse flexing while flying. Might have to trim the prop down a hair.
Here's a pic of it from today. Yeah I know, it looks just like yours
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,943 Posts
Jagzilla,
See posts 380 and 381 about holding full up elevator for all takeoffs, even from land. It really works! I use high rate elevator and full up for ALL takeoffs. Try it.

Son Down Under - I hate it when I'm that predictable.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
Fly by Night
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
869 Posts
jag, how did your wing tips fair out? Id rather not trim mine if I can help it.
jteplane is online now Find More Posts by jteplane
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
the wing tips should not slow the plane down in short grass as they would on water. The water creates some cool extra drag coefficients as it surrounds the wing tip *insert theorems here*

you can give the plane a little forward speed (5 or 10 feet depending on power supply) before you apply full up elevator on land.

I hope to get a video tomorrow in 6" of fresh powder.

If your a seawind newb the snow is the only way to fly. You can't mess up takeoffs or landings.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:57 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
148 Posts
Jagzilla wrote: "One thing though, noticed a few nicks in the fuse from prop strikes. Must have been a wee bit of fuse flexing while flying"

I have the same "nicks". Is it really possible that the fuslage can bent so much!? See earlier in this post>>
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=129
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:34 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
On the single flight that I've had from grass, there was no problems on the wing tips. Water might be a different scenario. I'm really looking forward to my first outing with this plane from water.
Point taken on the elevator, Kingsflyer. I understand it's even more critical on water take-offs.
I wouldn't have thought the fuse would have flexed that much either Tomas, but either the fuse, or the motor pod or both do seem to be flexing during flight. I'm going to trim my prop down by a 1/4 inch, as I don't want my fuse getting all gouged up.
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:27 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no stick

Tks in advance.

Ed
Still waiting for Ernie UAVpilot to weigh in on this. I really value his expertise.

Incidentlly, I've been flying my first Seawind all summer. I just didn't like how it handled on step in rough water.

Tks,

Ed