SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:41 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
I like the idea of a swing away water rudder that is deeper than the stock unit. That way you could fold it back for grass takeoffs and fold it down for water use. Shoot us some pics when you get it worked out. Keep us updated on the build and let us know how your maiden goes.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:30 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Maiden ???

Yo Mike , will do , it will be a little while , cause Im working on 3 planes at once
And the grass take off , on second thoughts , because of the drought and we are having a very hot summer ...there isnt any gunna be around 90f 2day
cheers from down under
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 02, 2008, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Seawind Problems

Well I dont expect a "PERFECT" plane for this price , but i do expect a plane that has a better and SAFE build quality.........

Because the hole and wing hold down screw were OFF CENTER , when I tighten down the wing to TRY to seat it , the screw missed the captive plastic nut on the underside of the FRAGILE ply hold down cross piece , and because of a LACK OF GLUE , holding this cross piece to the foam ...............
Not to mention the aileron pushrods hitting the piece of foam nesesitating the upside down brass rod connectors , and then there's the aileron servo front screw hitting the carbon wing peg dislodging it and had to re-glue to make that safe , and the aileron toque rod tubes at the trailing edge stopping the wing from seating down at the rear ............and the "sticky paint" used to paint the plane
Old Feb 02, 2008, 10:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
I guess I hot melt glued in my servo so I didn't run into the wing dowel problem. We used the same servos you did for my friends Seawind, but we hot melted them in too. Haven't had a problem with either wing dowel coming loose yet. Getting the wing far enough forward has been a little problem on both planes. Once the wing is all the way forward, the aileron torque rods seat all the way down on ours. Hope you get it all sorted out.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:20 AM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
I guys ,thinking about a Seawind. Would a E-flite 450 & E-flite 20 A ESC be enough for this plane ? thanks RTR
Use the motor recomended by the kit, severasl reasons why.

The motor they recomend is more then enough for spirted flying.
The motor mount is designed for gp motors and using anything else requires extensive moding.
I went with the recomended motor, but went with the "hotwind" version, so its a little better. With this motor vertical is unlimited and then some, the plane flies VERY fast for a cheap cooler styrophome plane, btw its not durable at all, hangar rash grass rash you name it bad foam, are you listening GP?.
This plane is hella faster then my PZ typhoon on tp 2100 and speed prop, Minipulse XT PNP on tp 2100, GP lancair eflight 400 tp 2100's.

Flown on TP 2100 over 20mins full throttle, (still had juice left) castle 36 eflight servos. no over heating, but it does get warm. Rog, Row, Ros, Romyhand, Roanything.

Stick with the recomended stuff or go up to the hotwind version like I did, you will not be disapointed the plane flies excellent, just isnt durable at all.
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:45 AM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
Well I dont expect a "PERFECT" plane for this price , but i do expect a plane that has a better and SAFE build quality.........

Because the hole and wing hold down screw were OFF CENTER , when I tighten down the wing to TRY to seat it , the screw missed the captive plastic nut on the underside of the FRAGILE ply hold down cross piece , and because of a LACK OF GLUE , holding this cross piece to the foam ...............
Not to mention the aileron pushrods hitting the piece of foam nesesitating the upside down brass rod connectors , and then there's the aileron servo front screw hitting the carbon wing peg dislodging it and had to re-glue to make that safe , and the aileron toque rod tubes at the trailing edge stopping the wing from seating down at the rear ............and the "sticky paint" used to paint the plane

Better fix.

Take the control rods and bend them so they look like this -\_/- but not as tight as this representaion lol This will allow total clearance for the wing mount, and still maintain perfectly smooth operation if done right, took a couple tries bending and test fitting to get it just so.

The wing mount sucks agreed. the server, wing dowel mine wasn't an issue really, but I don't have the plan infront of me atm.

P.S. the bottom of the plane if that is coated in plastic, its the weakest crappiest plastic I ever saw, it will wear and get dented, beat up, ect from constant Rog, I advise reinforcing it with tape, or paint or real plastic or something if intending to live on grass, which it is totally fine with.
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
[QUOTE=Lancair 888]Use the motor recomended by the kit, severasl reasons why.

The motor they recomend is more then enough for spirted flying.
The motor mount is designed for gp motors and using anything else requires extensive moding.
I went wi

THIS.................. is 'extensive modding'...??????? One small piece of ply
Old Feb 06, 2008, 05:50 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
You would think with all the complaints GP would fix the problems! Son, I like your mod for the motor mount, simple yet elegant! Still waiting to order mine.

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Feb 06, 2008, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Motor Mount Mod

Well there is a bit more work to that ..... I had to grind the bottom corners off to clear the cowl...

Waiting for some nice calm weather to do the maiden
Old Feb 06, 2008, 07:28 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Still, a nice mod! I can deal with it!!! My only prob is 12 inches of fresh wet snow on my frozen lake! Come on spring!!!

Pete
Old Feb 06, 2008, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Cant you take off on the snow ?
Old Feb 06, 2008, 07:57 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Oh sure, just a pain walking 300 feet to the lake and standing in snow. Can't see soft spots in the ice under the snow either! Have skis for several of my planes. Work well on wet snow but poor on powder. Floats just don't turn well in snow! Just not as fun a liquid H20! Snowing like crazy all day. Having fun plowing my driveway with my John Deere little tractor with plow. Actually enjoy it!
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:47 PM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
370 Posts
Just a heads up.........Tower has them in stock now. I just ordered mine, can't wait till it shows up.
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
Old Feb 07, 2008, 02:26 PM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
370 Posts
Any reason why this motor won't work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
Old Feb 07, 2008, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitysanimal
Any reason why this motor won't work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

The kv of 1600 is a bit high , and if you look it sez dont run an 8x6 at full all the time , sure it will work , but not as good as other motors , and you'll have to chop the ply mount up a bit to get it in..