HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
I have a little screamer purple peril motor. 1550 Kv. 22 oz thrust with 8x4 prop at 16 amps. Motor weighs 25 grams. Any thoughts on using this motor in the seawind?
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:44 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Sounds like the right power into the right prop, and a good thrust figure. Being lighter than the stock ammo, you may want to consider the smaller side of the range, like a TP1320... but the motor is just an inch or two behind CG, so it won't change your balance that much.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:30 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
I got to say this was as fun as it was on water!

5" of fresh powder led to some 40-yard landings. With kingsflyers recommended cg i can get 13 minutes at acceptable lipo discharges with little aerobatics, however most are 9min aggressive
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Dec 08, 2007, 05:58 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Agreed!.. We got 3-4" of fluffy (not stuffy) snow a few days ago.. I had as much fun ON the snow as I did flying that day... I must have shot 20 touch and goes in 5 min.. then crazy snow taxiing at high speed with lots of skips and jumps just for fun... I was grinning ear to ear.. More fun than my stormlauncher, that's for sure! Actually it's MORE fun on snow than on water.. takeoffs are MUCH faster usually only needing 10' or less.. landings produce a nice spray of snow etc. etc.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Dec 09, 2007, 11:16 AM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Hopefully I'll get my seawind soon and together so I can do some flying off snow before the lakes thaw out. I really enjoy snow flying - been doing it for many winters with floats and skiis on all kinds of different planes. Yup, sure is a blast. Jim
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:27 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Have you guys seen the new GWS 3-bladed HD props? I am going to order some in 9x5 and 8x4. Seems like they will look great and be perfect on the GPSW

Dr Kiwi is doing tests now and they look very promising.

Tom
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Tom, who has them? Don't see them on the BP website.

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Hey Pete, check here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781035 for the details. Looks like caliberhobby and they are good.

It is further down the page.

Tom
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
8" 3 blade will be good for the seawind. I'm looking forward to it.

Let me know when they create the 8/6

coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Last edited by coolboarder; Dec 12, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Apr 2005
63 Posts
Hi Guys, I've got a couple questions concerning battery size which I hope I can get advise for before I place my order.
1) For those satisfied using the TP 1320 with suggested motor & prop - are you using the Deans mini 2-pin connectors, or something bigger like the mini 4-pin or Ultra connectors? (The reason I'm asking is that I already have two TP 1320's with 2-pin mini connectors, which I use in planes with lower amp draw than the Seawind will probably need, but would like to try to use them in the Seawind.)
2) For those satisfied using the larger 1700-2200 mah batteries, what kind of battery weights are we talking, 140-180g?
It seems like such a big difference to go from a 85g battery (TP1320) to a 170 or 180g battery & still balance the CG and have similar flight characteristics.
I'm thinking that if my 1320's with 2-pin mini connectors won't cut it, then I'd go with a TP 2000 Pro Lite which weighs 120g, and Deans 4-pin or Ultra connectors. Would this be ok?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill
sheleb is offline Find More Posts by sheleb
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:14 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I'm using a 1500mah battery, balances perfectly.. Deans ultra connector
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:35 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Bill, your batt is OK but would stick with the Deans Ultra connector. The mini is good for about 10 amp draw and the stock setup depending on the prop will draw 14 to 17 amps. The lighter batt will allow you to fly slower. Use the heavier batt for windy conditions.

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Bill, I'm using TP 1320 with Mini Deans connectors and a 25 amp Cool Running ESC configured with Deans Ultra. There are adapters you can make yourself or available here:

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5871

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:24 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
We had 1/4" of freezing rain and sleet last night and this morning.. The ground was crunchy under foot but very slippery on the surface.. No snow base at all, icicle grass blades sticking up... I figured this would be a really fun surface for the seawind and it was.. I was zipping around the yard having a great time, shot a bunch of touch and goes and finally landed for good after ten minutes.. I was shocked and appalled when I noticed bb sized dents all along the leading edge of my wing.. I turned the plane over and was horrified to see the "boat" section of the bottom was all tore up.. That plastic is VERY thin, maybe 1/32". I tore through it and then large slices of foam were torn out underneath as deep as 1/8".. The ice on the grass was too hard for it and I tore it up badly and lost a fair amount of foam from the rear bottom of the fuse as well.. I am on my second coat of lite filler and then will sand again, paint on some thinned epoxy and paint.. A lot of work for 10min. of fun.. Be warned..... Snow is fine, ICE is not
Last edited by tic; Dec 16, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:36 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
We had 1/4" of freezing rain and sleet last night and this morning.. The ground was crunchy under foot but very slippery on the surface.. No snow base at all, icicle grass blades sticking up... I figured this would be a really fun surface for the seawind and it was.. I was zipping around the yard having a great time, shot a bunch of touch and goes and finally landed for good after ten minutes.. I was shocked and appalled when I noticed bb sized dents all along the leading edge of my wing.. I turned the plane over and was horrified to see the "boat" section of the bottom was all tore up.. That plastic is VERY thin, maybe 1/32". I tore through it and then large slices of foam were torn out underneath as deep as 1/8".. The ice on the grass was too hard for it and I tore it up badly and lost a fair amount of foam from the rear bottom of the fuse as well.. I am on my second coat of lite filler and then will sand again, paint on some thinned epoxy and paint.. A lot of work for 10min. of fun.. Be warned..... Snow is fine, ICE is not
yup, I can sympathize.

...I've had ice sand it's way all through the bottom of depron and balsa Twinkles. Most annoying. You'll end up with a ranking of snow's to fly off of. Another interesting one is there's a state between powder and slush where it's so clingy the plane wont be able to move.

The ice is groovy after the next snow though. The ice/softened-and-refrozen-snow has leveled the ground off, risen above the grass and sticks etc, if you get even an inch of snow, the result is fantastic... the super form crust holding up the powder... very firm yet super slidy to play on. If it would have been calm today, this is what I would have had to fly on.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM