HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2007, 04:57 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Oh another issue that I might have is that my lake, (a bay in lake michigan) is maybe completely calm probably about 5 times a summer. Then, every time else, there is either white-caps or maybe 4 inch waves at the most. What size of waves can this plane handle? I read in a couple of reviews that it cant handle waves at all but I wanted to check with everyone here before I believed it.
MattZC is online now Find More Posts by MattZC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
It'll handle big waves.. no problem.. it's a matter of pilot skill when the waves get big
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:42 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
I maidened mine in winds over 20mph and extremely choppy water, it handled like a champ! It easily outflew all the other larger float planes at our club float fly that day.
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:15 AM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts

Bought her Saturday, finished her Sunday afternoon, crashed her Monday mourning

Went flying at a local pond, where I flew for 20mins on 1 battery the night before. After about 8 mins of take off and landing, about 50ft off the deck, I came around for a right to left landing, coming down the down wind leg, right bank, all the sudden FULL LEFT BANK, rotation, nose straight into the ground at 1/3 throttle, she hit grass beside a sidewalk, was more then enough.

Snapped the fuse in 3 places bent all to hell, totally trashed, wing survived with minor damage.
All electronics seem fine also.
She lost control and went from a rignt bank into a full left bank and rotated over till she dove straight down. I had no control, when I got to the crash site all controls responded fine

I almost cried, I did scream, and cuss alot, in a brand new housing neighborhood with 500k houses lol but nobody was around.

$100 out the window, along with 6 hours of my life building it.
Wonder if my FM reciever has issues............ never had a glitch on this radio on any of my models, Futaba super 7, berg FM recievers.....

I hope to scrounge enough money to buy another on thursday, if not it will be mid december, so much for not buying anymore planes........

PS. This plane is VERY light, and foam, theres no way it will fly and land safely in wind over 15mph, my typhoon becomes a handfull at 15mph+, and it is much more stable then this plane. also no way it will take waves over 1-2in unless you seal the canopy and wing saddle to be completely water proof.

This is a pond, cove, field plane, not a lake plane.
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancair 888

no way it will take waves over 1-2in
This is a pond, cove, field plane, not a lake plane.
Disagree.... I fly mine in a lake that is 22 mi. long and 5mi. wide in all sorts of wind/wave conditions.. Ideally the lake is smooth as glass and there is no wind.. That might be 5% of the time.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:35 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Disagree.... I fly mine in a lake that is 22 mi. long and 5mi. wide in all sorts of wind/wave conditions.. Ideally the lake is smooth as glass and there is no wind.. That might be 5% of the time.
Just because you CAN do something does not mean you should
I have plenty of experience flying in wind, my typhoon goes up as long as it can make headway against the wind, so thats limited to about 25ish mph, this plane the Seawind has much less prop, and is lighter, therefore it can not possibly handle winds that high, or fast, you would not get it back against the wind.

Perhaps your 20mph+ estimate was just a bit exagerated friend, I do that from time to time also, not on purpose.

The typhoon handles alot cleaner being a 3D plane, in 20mph+ winds its like a sparrow in a hurricane, blows up, down, left, right, 5-10ft per gust of wind, landing is simply luck and/or timing of wind gusts. Seawind is lighter, and smaller, it would get blown away literaly.

4in+ water chop would literaly cover the entire front end, so unless the canopy and wing saddle are sealed your eletronics would be swimming in no time flat.

Just because the plane is not physicaly destroyed does not mean it can handle what your doing with it. This is a light, tiny, cheap foam, plane, not the .90 Seawind

I'm not trying to argure with you, but I don't want new pilots mislead thinking they can buy this plane, take it out on the "bay" and fly it in 1ft chop, and 30mph gusts, you can't, not correctly or safely. This plane is designed and does extremely well in 0-15mph winds and less then 4in water chop.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Oh another issue that I might have is that my lake, (a bay in lake michigan) is maybe completely calm probably about 5 times a summer. Then, every time else, there is either white-caps or maybe 4 inch waves at the most. What size of waves can this plane handle? I read in a couple of reviews that it cant handle waves at all but I wanted to check with everyone here before I believed it.
For weather/water conditions in your area your going to want/need a larger, heavier non-foam sea plane. on calm days you'd be fine but as you say most of the time its anything but calm. a 25oz foam plane is a toy in your water and will be beat up as such.

Get you a fiberglass sea plane or a much larger foam one, this plane is to small and light to fly it in extreme conditions, and once you fly it in nice conditions you won't want to risk it in the rough stuff anyway

She is a great "small water" seaplane, not an open water sea plane, biggest i'd push it is medium sized reseviors on calm days
Old Nov 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
As far as wind goes, I have a Typhoon and the Seawind. Wing loading has a lot to do with how a plane flies in wind (as much as scale matters). I'm not saying it'd be fun to fly the Seawind in 20+mph wind, but I *could* do it. It is sleek and makes good thrust at speed and can push into the wind.

Realistically, though, I'd say both planes are fun up to 10-12mph steady, and yes I fly both all the time at this level of wind. The chop created by taking off into a 10mph headwind actually helps break the seawind free from the suction.

I have about 5 or more hours on the seawind so far, and I'd like to share my experience with CG and problems taking off.

The CG test stand - I threw away. Looking at the distance it measures from the LE, I'd say it's somewhere around 20-25% chord. This would make it fly a little faster motor off, and drop it's nose and carry speed for landings (good for a beginner not to stall a landing). And, it would require more up elevator to take off, making the takeoff sequence easier for a beginner ("hold full up elev"). Let alone dulling all the control inputs.

I balance further back, because I like the way it flies more aerobatically this way. If none of you have tried a full throttle high rates snap roll, please do. It's shocking. Balancing further rearward will make the problem of porpoising during the takeoff run worse, since the plane is now balanced closer to the physical step and now wants to "rock" on it.

The weird thing I've noticed is this - if I go to full up elevator during this porpoising, I have enough elevator authority to stick the entire tail into the suction of the water, and at full throttle (with a huge prop) I absolutely cannot takeoff, after 100s of feet. Frustrating trying to horse something that doesn't want to be horsed.

So this is what I learned to do, and have been rewarded with scale takeoffs every time. Add throttle until the plane comes up on step, one click at a time until I see the obvious increase in speed where it's on top of the water. The porpoising will start a small amount at this time, and that is when I add *just enough* up elevator (and hold it) to smooth the rocking. I then add one or two more clicks of throttle and watch a beautiful scale takeoff (where you don't really know where it left the water).

Fun plane, might go fly this afternoon. Not a beginner plane to fly.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
I agree with Dave. I've flown the Seawind when my Buds with gas planes were packing up for home because the wind was too high. I'm not saying you won't get bounced around, but the Seawind penetrates really well and will take some pretty large waves. It's a lot more fun to fly the Seawind when the water is calmer, but that doesn't always happen.

I've had completely "Dry" internals even during heavy sea flights. My trick is to put some Scotch Tape over the front edge of the canopy and tape it down to the fuselage. This seems to help any water that comes over the nose to go over the canopy and not into the fuselage. It also helps keep the canopy attached to the fuselage after those very hard "landings" that sometimes happen. My wing/fuselage interface is unsealed and it doesn't seem to leak even after numerous splash and goes.

I've been flying my Seawind for over five months now and I'm still very pleased with it's performance. My favorite manuever is an outside snap followed by an inverted flat spin. The Seawind will almost stop, tumble tail over nose and then go into the tightest spin you've ever seen. This stunt always gets the crowd's attention. Usually I'll hear gasps followed by "Did you see THAT".

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Quote:
For weather/water conditions in your area your going to want/need a larger, heavier non-foam sea plane. on calm days you'd be fine but as you say most of the time its anything but calm. a 25oz foam plane is a toy in your water and will be beat up as such.

Get you a fiberglass sea plane or a much larger foam one, this plane is to small and light to fly it in extreme conditions,

Lancair 888,

I have a Aventura Twin (Fiberglass) Which is under reconstruction do to a highly warped elevator. along with severe glitch problems, and have a Balsa USA Northstar in the covering stage, and what I was looking for with the Seawind is a fun little durable seaplane that I could fly nearly anywhere with a field or some decent grass. I saw a electric Seawind fly at the Skymasters float fly in september and the kid had a ball with it. Thanks for the help~
MattZC is online now Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:41 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I never mentioned that the seawind will or could be flown in 20mph winds although I'm sure it could be .. Would it be fun? not for me.. I've flown mine in 10-15mph with moderate chop on the lake and I'm always surprised how well it does on and off the water for it's size and weight. Kingsflyer is right.. a good chop actually helps it get off the water faster!... Kingsflyer is also correct about the aerobatics this little gem is capable of.. Just don't get carried away.. I was throwing mine all over the sky and falsely thought the seawind and myself were invincible.. Seawind #2 is flying just fine though
Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
I must tip my hat to castle creations
Called them up and told them my Berg4 channel had failed a 10ft range check and there shipping me a new one with crystall, I get to return this defective one in there package free of charge to me, dam nice, thats customer support

Seems the reciever was the source of my lost bird to bad they won't pay for a new plane....ohwell I already bought, built and maidened another seawind with my Berg7 channel and had zero issues.

Guess in the future I'll just get 7channels since the 2 I already have, have been flying fine for months
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
IF I get this plane back from the pond before some one steals it, I'm probably out $350 as it stopped running about 5mins after flipping and trying to drive it in circles with the prop under water.

Nothing but bad luck with this plane, though I love it so much
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I coated all my electronics with corrosion X.. On a flip in the middle of the lake, I was able to drive it back to shore upside down.. That took about 15 min. but it made it and the electronics were fine.. Now the outside loop I started too low ?.... ummm,, errr.. Well, I'm on seawind #2 now
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:20 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Quote:
IF I get this plane back from the pond before some one steals it, I'm probably out $350 as it stopped running about 5mins after flipping and trying to drive it in circles with the prop under water.

Nothing but bad luck with this plane, though I love it so much

Water makes a lot of resistance (load) on the prop, effectively making it many times larger. We know the motor didn't overheat, but if you were over just a click or two of throttle at any time you may have burned up your ESC or puffed your lipo. I'd guess, though, that water finally got to the ESC, and when all your components dry out, all will be well.

Buy corrosionX, I got on that train.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave