SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Dunker
I looks like a good idea to mount a 1" wide strip of polycarbonate "plate" at the wing tips!
I'm not so good i English so perhaps you got a sketch (outline) or a picture how to mount the strips!?

//Tomas Dunker from Sweden trying to learn English
Here you go.

Bet you can't see the tab in the wing

See it yet?

How bout now?

More to follow.....
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:40 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Sorry about the pics used my phone, Lg9900. Got these omw home from work LHS is otw home

Here is some more....

Rear view......See the B-25 ARF tail on the counter, nice kit, new, forgot what it was.... and a glimpse of the builder

Side profile.....

And the 3Quarter look.

All you have to do is flip the wing upside down,
slice a slit in the wingtip with a razor knife,
drop some thin CA in the slit,
and slide in a strip of plastic, lexan, polycarb, whatever,
these are fairly flimsy, forgot what my LHS builder said they were, something about packing material from a kit maybe.....

I'm leaning towards lexan from a RC car body, or scraps of flash from the LHS body painter. Hell, a 2liter soda bottle cut right would probably work to.

As you can see they are hard to see, can expirement with sizes etc to get the best ride on water, or whatever but this is a general improvement on the first try.

This tab allows it to ride the water like a ski or grass or snow to a lesser extent. Pretty much no wing digging at all.

Disclaimer: this is not my plane, or my work, this is my LHS and a demo built buy the builder there.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Very helpful, Lancair 888. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Norb
Norb is offline Find More Posts by Norb
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Anybody have some video of how well this solution works? I'd sure like to see some action shots of these tip plates on the water.

For now, I think I'll keep using full up for takeoffs.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Anybody have some video of how well this solution works? I'd sure like to see some action shots of these tip plates on the water.

For now, I think I'll keep using full up for takeoffs.

Mike McD

Sorry no video friend, this plane is from my LHS, I was not on hand for the demo/testflights

I have known the builder for a few years, and the owner/test pilot of the LHS since I was under 10yo, (So over 15 years) he's my father's best friend, so I take there word on RC to the bank, I've seen many fast, amazing things from these folks, they said it's a perfectly working solution, that's good enough for me

I'll get video of mine with this mod for you next month when I can buy and fly my own
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:37 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I came up with a very similar idea a while back for the big Seawind...the plastic strips are just glued onto the bottom of the tip floats with silicone at much less angle..
The idea is to provide more area and to stop the tips catching and digging in , which is what the vee bottom does.....although I have got my E/P Seawind yet , from what I've read I would also cut the tips down about 3/4" and just glue the plates on at a similar angle....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:42 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Hi Son! How are things "Down Under"? Can you send us some pictures of your tip mod for the big Seawind? I've got a friend finishing up on his and now would be a good time to work on the tip floats.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Rog

Hello folks, I have read the entire thread and I have to comment on ROG operations. The group I fly with use pledge furniture polish on the bottom of our Sea Winds to aid in land operations. Light spray, 15 feet or so and airborne. It really slicks up the bottom of the plane. My Sea Wind is running a 2100 lipo and I have moved it almost all the way to the rear of the battery compartment and slightly to the right of center. This allows the plane to land fairly slow and offsets what we beleive is a built in off ballance in the aircraft. I hope the pledge solution helps some of you and good flying.
Ron
Higonsa is offline Find More Posts by Higonsa
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
154 Posts
When you move the 2100 lipo almost all the way to the rear of the battery compartment, how many millimeters from the leading edge will the CG end up?

/Tomas D.
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Oct 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
Where's the Kaboom?
Ashburn, VA
Joined Mar 2004
568 Posts
Lancair

I recognize that place!

I was at Hobby Hanger yesterday talking to Gary and those guys about the Seawind. I know what my next plane is going to be!
NeoLogic is offline Find More Posts by NeoLogic
Old Oct 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoLogic
Lancair

I recognize that place!

I was at Hobby Hanger yesterday talking to Gary and those guys about the Seawind. I know what my next plane is going to be!
Thats awsome! Yea I hope to get mine sometime around the 1st of Nov and check out some water flying before things freeze here

We should get together for there maidens I'm about 2 miles or so from Hobbyhangar.

On a side note the guys at the shop went and Flew 3 parkzone trojans today for a demo, was a neat mock dogfight
Old Oct 27, 2007, 05:33 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Tomas D,
The recommended CG is pretty conservative. Try for a balance point on the wing spar. Even with the 2100 packs, the Seawind will be very peppy and aerobatic.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2007, 12:38 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,446 Posts
Going to try and maiden mine today....

Appreciate all the tips on the CG. I have my Seawind balanced just in front of the spar maybe 1/8" in front. I will move it back if need be but would rather be a little nose heavy on the first toss. Speaking of which, did you guys maiden by ROG, ROW or toss? Water is not really an option for me today and it might be better just to throw it and see what happens rather than try to ROG on the maiden?

Crossed fingers for no wind tonight

Setup:

Motor: Rewound Emax 2812 (bought from a RCG member) with a GWS 9x5 HD
Servos: Recommended Futaba. These seem to be really nice units.
ESC: CC TB18 (also used from RCG)
Bat: TP PL1320
AUW=19.7oz (changed wires and took other measures to save weight)

My Emax motor is lighter than the GP RimFire but seems very robust. Last night after I got TX programmed, I was flying (sliding) it on the grass in the front yard. My neighbors think I'm nuts. They have no idea

Will update,

Regards,

Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Nov 07, 2007, 04:40 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Install the TP 1320 as far forward in the battery bay as you can. The TP is a great battery for the stock prop. Remove the water rudder and take off from the grass. Much easier than taking off from the water.

Good luck on your maiden.

Ed

Edited for correction. I meant to say forward.
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Last edited by no stick; Nov 07, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 05:00 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
I agree that a grass takeoff is a perferred 1st takeoff method. I leave the water rudder in place and haven't had any problems. I use the same full up elevator takeoff method on grass that I use for water takeoffs.

For the 1st few Flights, leaving the CG just in front of the spar is fine.

It takes a very strong throw to hand launch the Seawind. Due to the high pylon mounted motor, hand launches can be very tricky as the plane tends to nose down until you get enough speed for the elevator to be effective.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member