HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:44 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Finish the Polaris and you'll never look back! It's the best water plane of all.
I have maidened a couple of different Polaris models for flying buddies and I am still looking at and enjoying my other seaplane models regularly...

I agree it is a great seaplane... Water handling second to none and excellent flight performance. Great fun to throw around the sky. However, in general, I prefer the more balanced control harmony of a conventional layout. Plus, as you can see from my seaplane list, I much prefer scale models.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have maidened a couple of different Polaris models for flying buddies and I am still looking at and enjoying my other seaplane models regularly...

I agree it is a great seaplane... Water handling second to none and excellent flight performance. Great fun to throw around the sky. However, in general, I prefer the more balanced control harmony of a conventional layout. Plus, as you can see from my seaplane list, I much prefer scale models.
Then you do know what you're missing.

I fully agree that there are different pleasures in different sorts of models.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Then you do know what you're missing.

I fully agree that there are different pleasures in different sorts of models.
Not missing anything, since I have enjoyed it in the past...

One thing I don't like about flat bottom hulls like the Polaris is the lack of the fun that can be had from a seaplane model skimming along up on the step, all forces in balance, the V of the hull leaving a small wake. I much prefer a model with a well designed v shaped hull and equally well designed step that rewards the modeler with nice handling on the water.

The purely flat hulls are just not as satisfying on the water......They skip like a flat rock.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
I'm a relative newb. and have no building experience.
The front piece of my motor mount needs to be replaced. Can I buy this piece, or the whole box, or will I have to make something myself ? I searched GP and hobby shops online. I couldn't find anything listed for the Seawind but maybe it's a "generic" box that I could buy somewhere ?

Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Bummer - I poked around and didn't find anything either. Although it might be a bit of a challenge, you could probably use pictures and what's left of your box to make a new motor box with some basic cutting tools, a bit of light ply, and epoxy.
Best of luck,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I'm a relative newb. and have no building experience.
The front piece of my motor mount needs to be replaced. Can I buy this piece, or the whole box, or will I have to make something myself ? I searched GP and hobby shops online. I couldn't find anything listed for the Seawind but maybe it's a "generic" box that I could buy somewhere ?

Mine was so poorly glued that i wouldn't be surprised if you can take that apart like a puzzle and make new parts. Try that first... replacing the whole thing would be tricky.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
It's just the one front piece that the motor attaches to that I need. The rest of the box seems fine.
I guess the hard part would be cutting those half-moon holes. Are they important enough (cooling?) that I couldn't get away with not cutting those out ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2006
588 Posts
Seawind Motor mount

Another way is to cut away the motor mount entirely and use a back mounted motor. That way you start from scratch, make sure everything is glued (use toothpicks into the foam) and lightweight balsa block as a spacer. It also gives the option of a wider selection of motors. Too many mounts have failed, mine included, to fly the Seawind EP without more glue or a complete mod.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447 View Post
Another way is to cut away the motor mount entirely and use a back mounted motor.
That sounds like a good idea. I've never built any models so a suggestion/link for a mount that I could buy would be really appreciated. I see that there are threaded holes at the back of my motor (Rimfire 40) and I think I could handle switching the mount if I knew what I should start with, even if I had to modify it a bit.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:17 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
It's just the one front piece that the motor attaches to that I need. The rest of the box seems fine.
I guess the hard part would be cutting those half-moon holes. Are they important enough (cooling?) that I couldn't get away with not cutting those out ?
Hi Brian,

I replaced the front part of the motor mount on a Seawind. Don't worry about the fancy half-moon cut-outs... just drill some holes there so some air can get through.
Making the front part of the motor mount will be very easy if you have a piece of the right thickness plywood. When you have the mount exposed, be sure to check the other glue joints/and or apply a little extra epoxy to be sure it stays together.

I'm over in Whitehall, NY and go to Rutland shopping fairly often. Let me know if you run into trouble.

Good flying,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Thanks for the advice and your offer. It seems like something I can handle.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
I finally maidened my Seawind, it went OK. Two more flights completed as well. It was pretty windy up higher during my maiden, which I didn't expect because the water was so smooth. Tall trees were blocking wind down low. The plane seems really squirrelly to me, but I think most of that was because of the wind. It was super fun to fly though. I can't wait for some more good weather and more flights. I wan't to learn to make smooth no-skip landings consistently. Take-offs were no problem though, I did use a lot of up elevator as suggested by so many here.

Seawind RC Plane, Maiden, 2nd & 3rd flights.wmv (7 min 18 sec)
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Last edited by CrashMaster39; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:56 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
I finally maidened my Seawind, it went OK. Two more flights completed as well. It was pretty windy up higher during my maiden, which I didn't expect because the water was so smooth. Tall trees were blocking wind down low. The plane seems really squirrelly to me, but I think most of that was because of the wind. It was super fun to fly though. I can't wait for some more good weather and more flights. I wan't to learn to make smooth no-skip landings consistently. Take-offs were no problem though, I did use a lot of up elevator as suggested by so many here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0GtBtiH20
Says your video is private, but sounds like you had fun! Yes, it can be a handful at lower speeds and I find that cruising around at 40-45mph works great with mine. The way to make no-skip landings is to make sure you're at full elevator before you touch down. Just keep feeding in elevator to slow her down and when your at full elevator release the last bit of throttle and she settles in nicely.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Says your video is private, but sounds like you had fun! Yes, it can be a handful at lower speeds and I find that cruising around at 40-45mph works great with mine. The way to make no-skip landings is to make sure you're at full elevator before you touch down. Just keep feeding in elevator to slow her down and when your at full elevator release the last bit of throttle and she settles in nicely.
Good advice, after watching my video I am realizing that is exactly it, gotta be a full stall at touchdown. I can't wait to get out and try some more landings. So you find that it is a handful a lower speeds too huh? I thought maybe it was just mine. My boy was pointing out that the wing is really small, so I guess I should not expect glider-like performance. It seemed to tip stall pretty easily. Thanks for landing tips, I fixed the video BTW.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
Good advice, after watching my video I am realizing that is exactly it, gotta be a full stall at touchdown. I can't wait to get out and try some more landings. So you find that it is a handful a lower speeds too huh? I thought maybe it was just mine. My boy was pointing out that the wing is really small, so I guess I should not expect glider-like performance. It seemed to tip stall pretty easily. Thanks for landing tips, I fixed the video BTW.
In the video I think it also looks like it might be tail-heavy. Make sure you use the CG finder correctly. It needs to be a little farther forward than you might expect. I have to put a 2200 battery almost all the way up the nose to balance it right. This is one of my videos - notice that it tracks nice and straight all the way down to the water on landing.

Seawind Maiden Flight (5 min 59 sec)