HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Registered User
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
My question is: Is the entire plane painted white with blue trim and then decals? -Cub
Bare white foam with blue paint trim, and it is not that heavy a paint either. You could take it off easily with masking tape.

What a lot of people do is paint the entire model with WBPU to protect the surface and try to add some durability to the paint...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
raz's Avatar
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
The problem with this motor configuration is not so much the thrust angle, as it is the thrust line. Even the full scale Seawind had pitch issues related to thrustline. I found that making only slow throttle changes, and being ready to compensate on elevator then relax elevator appropriately was the the best way to combat it. The thrust line as it relates to the lifting surface on this design makes pitch vulnarable to thrust change. Being that the thrust source is physically connected to the tail end of the aircraft doesnt help either. It sure is a good looking bird though.

-Cub
So you're saying they tend to be pitch sensitive? I haven't had that problem. I thought the reason for changing the thrust angle (line) was to help with take offs, so it won't bounce and try to submerge?
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:16 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
So you're saying they tend to be pitch sensitive? I haven't had that problem. I thought the reason for changing the thrust angle (line) was to help with take offs, so it won't bounce and try to submerge?
Yes the high thrust line and proximity to the elevator make the plane very pitch sensitive. It also means that it will have a tendency to pitch down when power is applied quickly. The bounce comes from relaxing the elevator after liftoff, and then the high thrust line of the motor causes the nose to push back over.

Pro-tip: Thrust Line is the plain at which the thrust is generated relative to the line of lifting force. Thrust Angle, is the angle at which the thrust is generated relative to the angle of the lifting force.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Formosa 2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
raz's Avatar
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
I've been making some changes to mine lately and I'm really liking it. I'm running a 1600 kv motor but went from a 7x6 prop to a 6x6 to reduce the amp draw so I could use a smaller, lighter 1300 mAh 3s and by running a smaller battery I was able to remove 1/2 oz of lead ballast. I also cut the stab lose and re-angled it so the wing is now 1 degree + to the stab. I haven't seen any need to change the motor thrust line though since making these other changes, it doesn't change pitch with throttle, it just speeds up. The AUW went from 1.72 lbs. to 1.45 lbs. which really helps it slow down better for landing.

I got to test it on the water yesterday and making it lighter did help with the landings. Now to get that annoying bounce out of the take offs.

My Seawind (3 min 4 sec)
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Last edited by raz; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: up-date
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
Bare white foam with blue paint trim, and it is not that heavy a paint either. You could take it off easily with masking tape.

What a lot of people do is paint the entire model with WBPU to protect the surface and try to add some durability to the paint...Pete M
It is not bare white foam..the model has a white paint applied to the foam.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Yes the high thrust line and proximity to the elevator make the plane very pitch sensitive. It also means that it will have a tendency to pitch down when power is applied quickly. The bounce comes from relaxing the elevator after liftoff, and then the high thrust line of the motor causes the nose to push back over.

Pro-tip: Thrust Line is the plain at which the thrust is generated relative to the line of lifting force. Thrust Angle, is the angle at which the thrust is generated relative to the angle of the lifting force.
Never found the model to be pitch sensitive at all. It does like to pitch down a little at low speed with a large throttle change, but still not sensitive.

If is is sensitive, you need to adjust rates and expo as needed. My model is very smooth in pitch, with proper rates and a touch of expo.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Never found the model to be pitch sensitive at all. It does like to pitch down a little at low speed with a large throttle change, but still not sensitive.

If is is sensitive, you need to adjust rates and expo as needed. My model is very smooth in pitch, with proper rates and a touch of expo.
Its not about being sensitive to control inputs. It is just a very unstable platform. The full scale version is the same way.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Formosa 2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Its not about being sensitive to control inputs. It is just a very unstable platform. The full scale version is the same way.
We will have to agree do disagree on this point.

Models and full scale are different critters. We are not flying at scale wing loadings , etc. This little Seawind is a very groovy and stable performer when set up correctly. It is significantly the best aerobatic performer in my seaplane fleet of 8 models, once it is up and flying at speed.

The real Seawind has some well known issues that do not translate down to the little Seawind, as does the larger glow Seawind recently discontinued by GP.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
It is not bare white foam..the model has a white paint applied to the foam.
I thought I remembered the entire model being painted. If I get another one, I think I will strip all the paint off and do my own paint scheme. Krylon Fusion spray sticks very well to Aerocell and doesn't eat the foam. The weight difference might be negligible, but still worth it for the purposes of custom painting.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Formosa 2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Grejen's Avatar
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
We will have to agree do disagree on this point.

Models and full scale are different critters. We are not flying at scale wing loadings , etc. This little Seawind is a very groovy and stable performer when set up correctly. It is significantly the best aerobatic performer in my seaplane fleet of 8 models, once it is up and flying at speed.

The real Seawind has some well known issues that do not translate down to the little Seawind, as does the larger glow Seawind recently discontinued by GP.
I'll have to agree but of course it's relative. This Seawind is a bit less stable than my GWS Beaver but way more stable than my Spirit of St. Louis and Avro Arrow. I've fly it stock, no mods except for repairs, and manual recommended throws for high rates. I've just added 25% expo for the elevator and it made the landings a lot easier. The pitch change with power change is simply characteristic. I do not view it as a problem. Why would you want all of your planes to handle the same way?

The white is not paint the blue is. The strips on the fuselage are decals of some sort and are when it's cold they're more brittle than the foam. The paint on my model is all cracked due to the fuselage being suddenly violently flexed once ... or twice.. on cold days.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
... This little Seawind is a very groovy and stable performer when set up correctly. It is significantly the best aerobatic performer in my seaplane fleet of 8 models, once it is up and flying at speed. ...
.
I would be interested to hear what other seaplanes you have and your favorites.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I would be interested to hear what other seaplanes you have and your favorites.
My current seaplane fleet is as follows:

Electrifly Seawind
Electrifly PBY Catalina
72" Icon A5
1.09m Icon A5
Dynam PBY
Electrifly Grumman Widgeon
Own design park flying boat in Depron, the Skimmer
Own design fun scale Depron Curtis "F" flying boat

I have hanging around partially finished a Polaris and the foamie Coot A, plus have almost finished converting an Eflite Mini Pulse XT to floats.

I like them all for different reasons, love the aerobatic performance of the Seawind, with the little Icon taking a fairly close second place. Love the scale excitement of the twin flying boats as well. Enjoy the size and presence of the big Icon.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:33 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post

The white is not paint the blue is. The strips on the fuselage are decals of some sort and are when it's cold they're more brittle than the foam. The paint on my model is all cracked due to the fuselage being suddenly violently flexed once ... or twice.. on cold days.
Both of my Seawinds were from the first production run (ARF kits, not the latter Rx-R version) and they ARE painted white over the white EPS foam.

Perhaps latter versions sport unpainted white foam areas, but mine are painted white. Will post a picture when I have a moment.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
My current seaplane fleet is as follows:

Electrifly Seawind
Electrifly PBY Catalina
72" Icon A5
1.09m Icon A5
Dynam PBY
Electrifly Grumman Widgeon
Own design park flying boat in Depron, the Skimmer
Own design fun scale Depron Curtis "F" flying boat

I have hanging around partially finished a Polaris and the foamie Coot A, plus have almost finished converting an Eflite Mini Pulse XT to floats.

I like them all for different reasons, love the aerobatic performance of the Seawind, with the little Icon taking a fairly close second place. Love the scale excitement of the twin flying boats as well. Enjoy the size and presence of the big Icon.
Thanks,

I have a lake but no flying field so have a few seaplanes. I started with the CootA but after getting the Electrifly Seawind a year ago rarely flew the CootA again. However after building a couple of Polaris this summer- 100% and 133% - I am totally addicted to them. Amazing combination of aerobatic performance and slow speed capability. Hope you enjoy yours.
If you had to choose one twin, which would it be?
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:09 PM
59 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have hanging around partially finished a Polaris and the foamie Coot A, plus have almost finished converting an Eflite Mini Pulse XT to floats.
Finish the Polaris and you'll never look back! It's the best water plane of all.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Seawind By great Planes postusaf Fuel Plane Talk 9 Jun 03, 2012 06:08 PM
Rant Electrifly C-50 Brush ESC by GREAT PLANES guapoman2000 Power Systems 24 Mar 02, 2009 04:32 AM
Question Seawind by great planes postusaf Waterplanes 1 May 14, 2006 11:32 PM
Great Planes ElectriFly PT-Electric Trainer Kit 56" markmm Electric Plane Talk 14 Oct 04, 2005 03:08 PM
F/S Electric Cub by Great Planes Wing 59" Butch777 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 May 25, 2005 04:58 PM