HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
I'm pretty sure my kit is EPO, and it sounds like some kits (maybe the original one) was EPS. I'm wondering if the EPO kits have this issue or change in design.
I purchased mine last December and it says it is made from the new AeroCell foam. Is that the new EPO foam? I checked and it is straight as an arrow.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Crooked nacelle issue - update

So I heard back from Great Planes today. They saw the pics and confirmed the tail/nacelle is crooked and shouldn't be that way. They're ordering 2 more kits themselves to determine if in fact there's a bad batch or production issue. They told me to hold onto my kit for now.

So the good news is that they acknowledge the plane shouldn't be like this. The bad news is I don't know how long before I'll get this replaced or corrected. I was really hoping to be up in the air within days of buying this plane. Looks like it could be a while
fabric8 is online now Find More Posts by fabric8
Old May 11, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterysIncluded View Post
I purchased mine last December and it says it is made from the new AeroCell foam. Is that the new EPO foam? I checked and it is straight as an arrow.
I did ask about this and they told me there's no difference in the foam from all the kits. They're all AeroCell foam which isn't exactly EPO.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
its clearly a different foam to my plane so I guess I was sold an older version at the newer version price.
Oh well 2 yrs of joy fro it so far. I wish they'd make a bigger foam version and make some changes to how the canopy fits in as well.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old May 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Hey Tim

How interested are you in building? if so I have a depron Seawind and will re-do the plans for a larger one (1400mm wing span) if anyone is interested

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20962856

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old May 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
that would be an interesting project!
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old May 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
I finally received a straight-nacelle'd SWEP last night directly from Great Planes support, who personally inspected a kit to send to me after I sent the email and pics of the problems with the ones I had received from TH. All 3 from TH had crooked nacelle's. The 1st 2 which shipped from the NV warehouse were the worst. The 3rd which they shipped from the IL warehouse was better, but still a little off.

Anyway, I built it up last night and everything went well until I throttled up. Somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4th's throttle (on my way to WOT), the motor mount exploded and the motor went flying forward, clearing that plane (thankfully) and landing on the floor. I'm really glad I was behind the plane. The motor shaft is bent, and there are little pieces of plywood motor mount around my living room

So, now I've got to build up a firewall. I'm just going to keep it simple, and mount the GF2215 in it's original configuration which is in front of the firewall.

I can't believe the luck (or lack of it) I'm having with this plane. Geez!
Old May 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2006
589 Posts
Motor mount explosion

You just changed my mind about using the stock motor mount on my backup Seawind. I've heard some horror stories about the mount letting go after a few flights but your story takes the cake. Was your prop balanced?

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old May 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Yup - perfectly. I inspected what was left of the mount, and it looks like the plywood is very brittle. I'll post pics tonight of what's left on the plane before I strip it off.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1880

This is what I did to use the rimfire after my mount exploded

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
I finally received a straight-nacelle'd SWEP last night directly from Great Planes support, who personally inspected a kit to send to me after I sent the email and pics of the problems with the ones I had received from TH. All 3 from TH had crooked nacelle's. The 1st 2 which shipped from the NV warehouse were the worst. The 3rd which they shipped from the IL warehouse was better, but still a little off.

Anyway, I built it up last night and everything went well until I throttled up. Somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4th's throttle (on my way to WOT), the motor mount exploded and the motor went flying forward, clearing that plane (thankfully) and landing on the floor. I'm really glad I was behind the plane. The motor shaft is bent, and there are little pieces of plywood motor mount around my living room

So, now I've got to build up a firewall. I'm just going to keep it simple, and mount the GF2215 in it's original configuration which is in front of the firewall.

I can't believe the luck (or lack of it) I'm having with this plane. Geez!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Do you have some downward thrust on your motor? I maidened the Seawind today and at about 3-4 feet off the ground, I let go of the elevator which was at full up since it was already climbing and instead of the plane continuing to climb, it nose dove and I couldn't react fast enough with elevator. Only the wing mounting plate broke loose from the glue and the prop made a small hole on the center of the wing. Other than that, there was no damage.

Do I need to add downward thrust to prevent the plane from nosediving when I let go of the elevator stick?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2006
589 Posts
Short answer, yes. Additionally, you might want to check and make sure that the stabilizer has a small negative incidence relative to the wing. Reference, look at the comments by the designer of the Polaris; jetset44. The Polaris is designed with a negative 2 deg. incidence of both the motor and stabilizer relative to the wing. i.e. downthrust of the motor with the stabilizer set along the same incidence line. After flying both, the Polaris avoids the main problem that my SWEP has which is a dive when you add power quickly.

The Polaris thread is found under scratchbuilt foamies here in RCG.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:40 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
You actually need a litlle up thrust on your motor. There is some discussion as to how much, but when I researched for my Neptune it varied between 1-3 degrees. we settled on 1 deg- but havent tried it yet. On my seawind I tried to set it to zero- my plane is at the lake so cant check it, but my seawind still flies fine and I basically set it to zero if I am not mistaken. All my standoffs are the same length and the new firewall was glued to the foam same as the original was

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1880

Do I need to add downward thrust to prevent the plane from nosediving when I let go of the elevator stick?[/QUOTE]
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Jun 03, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Thanks Bob/Failane. Just to make sure I have the correct definition of thrust angle- downthrust vs up thrust, I should setup the angle like in the attached sketch, right?

If so, is that called up thrust or downthrust?
Last edited by fabric8; Jun 03, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
So looking at the polaris, I clearly see that the motor is angled downward - which from googling the term, is downthrust.

Bob, is this right?

Fairlane, are you saying I should do the opposite and have the motor point upward for upthrust?

Confussed.