Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
683 Posts
That looks like a good price-I got the watts up V2 from hobbyking-just checked the price and its now 49.99 (39.46 if you wait until they lower the price) and only good to 100 amp. So price wise it looks good but I'd do a search on reviews to see how good it is.

Regarding the watt meter, is this GT 130a wattmeter a good buy?

Glad to hear the motors can take getting wet. I'll definitely oil the bearings.[/QUOTE]
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 05:57 AM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Is my Seawind crooked?

So I received my Seawind in the mail today. Got home and started assembling it. After I glued the horizontal stabilizer, I see what appears to be the entire nacelle and tail being crooked. I wish I would have caught it sooner before I glued the horizontal stabilizer on.

Is this how it's supposed to be? If you see the pictures below, I used a long straigtedge running from the tail to the nose, and as you can see, I follow about 1/4" left of the center line of the nacelle through the cowl. I do this to match the offset of the tail. But by the time it gets to the nose, it's crooked and off by about 1" to the right of the nose.

Should I call Tower Hobbies to get this taken care of?

fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old May 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Well, I went ahead and called TH customer service, explained the situation, and they issued an RMA, free of charge exchange.

The good news is hopefully the next kit they send me will be straight and true. The bad news is that the return is going out UPS ground (~5 days from CA to IL), and I'm guessing they won't do a 2-day ship on the exchange, so I'm probably not going to be airborne for at least 2 weeks Bummer. So close.......
Old May 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
Tower has always been very good about replacing defective stuff for me. Much easier to deal with than the Hong Kong people.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old May 04, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Emax GF2215/15 motor option

In case anyone was interested in how the GF 2215/15 1470Kv motor worked out as far as fitment, it was a breeze. Following the instructions headsup.com support sent me to reverse the shaft was simple:
1. took out the c-clip
2. slid the rotor off the stator
3. tapped the 3mm shaft out of the rotor
4. flipped it around, then tapped it back onto the rotor
5. put the c-clip back on
6. slid the rotor back onto the stator

With the shaft flipped, there's nothing preventing the rotor from coming off the stator, except that when the motor is mounted behind the firewall, the prop, as it spins, pulls the rotor against the stator, so it's not like it would come off. This would only be an issue if it were a pusher prop. In anycase, there is enough space to put a locking collar on the shaft before the prop adapter if there's still any concern.

As far as fitment goes, the 3 hole motor mount on the Seawind has a 1" spacing between mounting holes, whereas the mounting holes of the base collar mount of the GF2215/15 are spaced at 1.5", so it wouldn't directly mount.

But by trimming the tips off the GF2215/15's (which is soft aluminum), I was able to get the mount behind the firewall, then drilled new holes on the mount through the firewall holes. It then fit perfectly.

Here's what the motor looks like originally:

What I did to make it fit the Seawind:

Shaft rotated:

Mount trimmed and new holes drilled

With the stock 8x6 prop and a generic 30A esc, there was a LOT of thrust at WOT. I did notice the ESC got pretty warm at 75% throttle for about 30 seconds. I may try an 8x4e APC.

Now if only I had the RMA'd plane to put it back on

P.S. Per headsuprc.com, the # of poles = number of magnets / 2. This motor has 14 magnets; therefore is a 7 pole motor.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
is the stock rimfire motor underpowered or is it ok what apc prop do you reccomend for this motor
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Old May 04, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7696 View Post
is the stock rimfire motor underpowered or is it ok what apc prop do you reccomend for this motor
The stock rimfire is just fine for this plane from what Ive heard, but its over $40. This one is more powerful and was just $12.95. Plus I'll be flying this plane with a 3s 2200 lipo. They recommended an APC 8x4e or APC 8x6e.

They also have a 2215/25 which has similar Kv to the stock rimfire, as well as a 2215/20 rated at 1200Kv which falls right in between. And all are $12.95.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
After 5 years mine finally burned in. Whats funny is the park 400 on it has probably 500 flights from 3 airframes on it

Anyway i hand launched it for a buddy so he could fly it in a float fly since i was taken a pby and i failed to explain the whole - high thrust line physics bit
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old May 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
The stock rimfire is just fine for this plane from what Ive heard, but its over $40. This one is more powerful and was just $12.95. Plus I'll be flying this plane with a 3s 2200 lipo. They recommended an APC 8x4e or APC 8x6e.

They also have a 2215/25 which has similar Kv to the stock rimfire, as well as a 2215/20 rated at 1200Kv which falls right in between. And all are $12.95.
The recommended Rimfire motor is disappointing. It allows scale flight and nothing more. Runs out of steam quickly even if a 1750mAhr 25C battery and 40A ESC is used.
I changed mine to a EMAX BL2215/20 and the performance is much better.
Also change the control rods to glass in a sleeve. The stock rods rusts while you're looking at it.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old May 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7696 View Post
I guess it's disappointing if you're used to a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio in all your models but the stock Rimfire works works perfectly fine for me in my RxR SeaWind. As did the stock 8X6. Together with an, albeit light, 1000mah battery it can fly perfectly scale like for 10 minutes without overstressing anything. I take off from grass with a second or two of full power. After that it never needs more than 75% stick unless I want to do a large loop from level (is that scale?).

Busted the stock prop in a bad crash and replaced it with an APC 8X6E and it seems the same as before just without the distinct whistling the stock one made.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; May 09, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:04 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
looking at the pics above is the latest Seawind EP a EPO foam?
If it is then I think I'll replace my EPS airframe with a new EPO one. MInes taken a beating over the 2 years I've flown her.

I don't want 1;1 thrust to weight, but there should be enough power to get the hull onstuck off the water. Since it's a small foamie I can' afford to let it get 50m out before it gets off the plane and into the air(plane).

It seems to be a common fault with the RTF/PNP./BNF manufacturers where they spec a motor thats not quite powerful enough for anything other than scale flight.
The other disappointing aspect of the Rimfire is the price. $50 is steep for a small parkflyer motor
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old May 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Replacement Seawind is also not straight

So I received the RMA'd plane today, and to my surprise, it's exactly the same as the other one I returned - the entire nacelle/tail is angled to the left when viewed from the front or above.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Can someone please confirm how theirs looks?

If I set the horizontal stabilizer perpendicular to the tail, then it won't be parallel to the wings. But if I set it parallel to the wings, it won't be perpendicular to the tail. I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to be. Even the technotes for the Seawind EP don't list any right or down engine thrust.

Here are some pics. The first few have a duplicate pic to the right of the original with superimposed red lines to help show the angle better. I then took additional pictures taping a CF tube to the tail, and you can clearly see the tailed crooked.

Will someone please tell me if this is how its supposed to be?
Old May 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I just checked mine with a straight edge and the nacelle is strait down the center of the cockpit, no angle in either direction.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old May 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
I just checked mine with a straight edge and the nacelle is strait down the center of the cockpit, no angle in either direction.
Thanks for checking, Raz. I sent Great Planes tech support an email with the pictures and am waiting for them to respond. I'm hoping they don't tell me its supposed to be this way

What would you do if you were in my situation? If I ask TowerHobbies to exchange it again, the odds are I'll get another one just like it.

Do I just fly it this way? Which means it will likely track left? Or do I try and dunk the whole tail in very hot water and try to straighten it and possibly risk damaging it?

This ARF concept is turning into a nightmare

Would really appreciate anyone else's inputs too.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Another crooked Seawind nacelle

I found this picture from a for sale thread and it look like nacelle is crooked too like mine: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...65722-6-16.jpg

I'm pretty sure my kit is EPO, and it sounds like some kits (maybe the original one) was EPS. I'm wondering if the EPO kits have this issue or change in design.