Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
I mostly fly it off grass is why the water rudder gets removed
Do you take off from grass? .. how does the shaped hull (fuselage) handle the grass, is it OK? .. I have a Polaris (with a flat bottom) and it is very good from grass

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2006
571 Posts
It flys well off of snow, too. The problem is that hard snow tends to scar the bottom.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Do you take off from grass? .. how does the shaped hull (fuselage) handle the grass, is it OK? .. I have a Polaris (with a flat bottom) and it is very good from grass

Lockey

It takes off from grass very well as long as it's short. If you ease into the throttle it wants to tip up like it might flip over, but if you gun it it goes great.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,943 Posts
Grass takeoffs are just like water takeoffs -- Full UP elevator and Full throttle, then let off the elevator as soon as the Seawind lifts off.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Prop recomendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
I sure think so. If something happens to this one I'll buy another one.
With nose cover repairs stalled while I consider building a vac-forming system I'm considering this option too. btw - Can anyone recomend a prop for the stock rimfire motor the RxR came with? The supplied 8X6SP broke. Is the stock prop the best option for the stock power system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Grass takeoffs are just like water takeoffs -- Full UP elevator and Full throttle, then let off the elevator as soon as the Seawind lifts off.
McD
Ditto that. If the grass if tall/thick it won't move but if it's nice and short and esp if it's dewy or very dry it'll slide fine. I find full power/full up is only required to get it moving. Once its sliding I let off elevator, back out of the power a bit and it accelerates and lifts off easily.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Jan 09, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: title
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:13 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
I have found a place here in Australia where I can get it, BUT $169 for the kit and shipping $46.80 … bit on the pricy side

Maybe I will design plans for a Depron scratch-build, anyone have GOOD 3 view of the plane or model?

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 09, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
I have found a place here in Australia where I can get it, BUT $169 for the kit and shipping $46.80 … bit on the pricy side

Maybe I will design plans for a Depron scratch-build, anyone have GOOD 3 view of the plane or model?

Lockey
With some tweaks this would look really nice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=seawind
The wing is a bit far back in this design but that probably keeps it lighter.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
With some tweaks this would look really nice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=seawind
The wing is a bit far back in this design but that probably keeps it lighter.
Thanks Grejen, I did have a look at that one, I would like to try and make one a little more rounded and closer to “scale looking” not necessarily “to scale”

Saying that, it does look nice in the air

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Sep 2006
571 Posts
Raz,

How hard can you push the Tower Pro motor. I just put one on my Polaris and it doesn't even get warm swinging an 8x4 APC. Getting to an 8x6 with a lot of throttle control would be nice.. Is it Possible?

Bob
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Hi Bob. It should be fine as long as you don't run wide open the whole time. I put a 7x4x3 on mine because they look cool the last time out and had no problems and that should be close to your 8x6x2 blade.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Last edited by raz; Jan 11, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Grejen, I did have a look at that one, I would like to try and make one a little more rounded and closer to “scale looking” not necessarily “to scale”

Saying that, it does look nice in the air

Lockey
It is pretty blocky and the plan shows a plate/kfm wing but it'd be a good starting point. Apply some of jetset44's techniques (large triangles inside the corners giving room to sand the shape) for a more round fuselage. Add a true airfoil wing and your there.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
It is pretty blocky and the plan shows a plate/kfm wing but it'd be a good starting point. Apply some of jetset44's techniques (large triangles inside the corners giving room to sand the shape) for a more round fuselage. Add a true airfoil wing and your there
This is why I wanted to buy the model and then I could have a good look at it and take it from there, might do this anyway

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447 View Post
It flys well off of snow, too. The problem is that hard snow tends to scar the bottom.

Bob
True enough. In fact, I have seen loose powdery snow have a sandpaper effect ranging from about 320 grit, to about 120 grit, depending on conditions.

I complete sanded the step off of the floats on a model flying on molded foam Sure Flite float set one snowy day back in the 1970s. (no tape or other protection) Likely did about 50-60 touch and goes on three tanks of fuel. Rare to get snow conditions in north Texas, but it does happen once in a while.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I made a FPV platform for my Seawind, I had to cut the servo tray between the servos to get the LiPo back far enough to correct the CG. It now weighs a healthy 840 grams.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2006
571 Posts
What motor/battery/prop combo are you using and how much power are you getting? Looking forward to videos.