HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
ggcrandall1, I'm not concerned about the foam. It's the shattered plastic part that is the problem and getting it water tight again is the biggest issue. I plan to fly it off water at least once or twice a year.

dghutt, Yeah, filling/sanding and sealing may be the only way beside replacing the entire fuse. GP lists some parts available but it seems the fuselage can only be replaced as a complete unit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=GPMA1169&P=OW
I decided to just tape the broken bits back together best I could to continue flying off grass. This was fine except that I crashed it again the very next flight and now it's really busted up . Must learn to stay out of the South sky this time of year! The bottom skid is also cracked. I opted to remove the remaining plastic nose and bottom skid, taped it all back together except some missing bits and filled it with plaster-of-paris. I have a pretty good plug now. Pics coming.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:24 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Success!!! I took the SW down to the river again today and this time no skipping! With the CG moved back & holding some up elevator in it took took off nice and easy and it even lands much better now too. Before I couldn't get it to land without at least one bounce not it glides in like it should. Thanks again for the help everyone, it really paid off.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:11 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
I have looked through the posts and haven’t found anyone giving a good replacement for the Rimfire 28-30-950kV that can be purchased at Hobby King, can ANYONE help whith this?

Also Guys, can you point me at somewhere I can buy the Seawind without it costing an arm and a leg for shipping, I had my order all filled out for one from Tower Hobbies only to find that they wanted about $124 for shipping (more than the model costs)

Thanks

Lockey
From here they want $571 shipping to you,thats just mad!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Great-...item43a29877ce
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,078 Posts
brodjack, I wrote to them and queried this and this is the reply I got

Dear Omni Models Customer-
Thank you for contacting Omni Models. Due to this item's size we are only able to ship it to Australia via UPS Worldwide. The correct shipping charge would be an additional $106.31.
We appreciate your time and interest in our products.
Angie
www.OmniModels.com

At least they had the decency to write back to me … even $106 is a little steep for a model costing around $100

I am still looking

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Sep 2006
589 Posts
Congrats RAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
Success!!! I took the SW down to the river again today and this time no skipping! With the CG moved back & holding some up elevator in it took took off nice and easy and it even lands much better now too. Before I couldn't get it to land without at least one bounce not it glides in like it should. Thanks again for the help everyone, it really paid off.
Sounds like a great outcome. Have you kept the CG at 1 1/4" or pushed it back to the spar?
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjack View Post
From here they want $571 shipping to you,thats just mad!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Great-...item43a29877ce
Consider using the TowerPro 2409-12T for your seawind on an 8x4/7x5. Its less than $10 but you will need to rebuild the motor mount.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:55 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
563 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Kingsflier, all I need now is for someone to tell me where I can get one where they are reasonable with their shipping costs

Wish I could get one from HK, I have bought lots of stuff from them and I am very happy with their prices and service

Lockey

PS. I am flying the Polaris and it’s a great little plane to fly

Can anyone tell me why the Polaris has -2 degrees incidence on the motor and horizontal stab and the Seawind is +3 degrees incidence?
Are you sure the Seawind has +3 deg. on the stab. That would make no sense, unless the wing has at least +5 degrees. With so much positive on the stab and the motor sitting high above the wing the nose of the fuselage would be pushed down, and the plane would not be able to rotate on takeoff. I scratch built my electric 70“ Seawind with stab and the motor at 0 and the wing +3 degrees.
When I designed the North Star in 1985, I kept the stab at 0 deg. and just gave the engine -2 to -3 degrees to reduce the pitch down forces coming from the engine.
On side note. In the December, January 2001 me and my wife we spent six weeks in your beautiful country. Out of that we stayed in Perth for four weeks visiting our daughter.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,078 Posts
Laddy, I am pleased and honoured to hear from you

I have heard that you are the “original” designer of the Polaris (North Star) .. well as you can see from the Thread on the Polaris, it must be the most talked about and built model on the forum.

Yes like you I would see no sense in having a positive incidence with a high mounted motor

By the way, if you ever decide to come down to Perth again, be sure to let me know and you would be more than welcome to come and stay with us.

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447 View Post
Sounds like a great outcome. Have you kept the CG at 1 1/4" or pushed it back to the spar?

I have it at 1-1/4 without the water rudder on so probably 1-3/8" with it and it sure made a big difference in the water. I mostly fly it off grass is why the water rudder gets removed.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,568 Posts
Quote:
Laddy, I am pleased and honoured to hear from you

I have heard that you are the “original” designer of the Polaris (North Star) .. well as you can see from the Thread on the Polaris, it must be the most talked about and built model on the forum.

Yes like you I would see no sense in having a positive incidence with a high mounted motor

By the way, if you ever decide to come down to Perth again, be sure to let me know and you would be more than welcome to come and stay with us.

Lockey
Upthrust makes perfect sense for motors mounted above the wing and fairly near the CG.

Upthrust (positive incidence) on a motor mounted high above the WING works very well for avoiding a nose down moment with high power levels and low airspeed. Some of the designers of models with the motor mounted well aft of the CG seem to have have good results with downthrust to control this effect, with the motors mounted well back. Note that even though the Seawind has a tail mounted motor, the motor pod is so long that the motor ends up over the wing in about the same place as a Lake Amphibian or similar model.

I have empirically tested this, as posted before, on a number of models with high thrust lines and with the motors located somewhere above the wing. Quite easy to do...simply make a flyby at low airspeed and instantly go to full throttle. When the nose down pitching effect is at or near zero, it works. My own design Skimmer amphibian went through three thrust line adjustments to get a proper amount of upthrust, which turned out to be about 8 degrees of upthrust, as I recall.

I do plan on trying upthrust on my partially completed Polaris to see how that works on an aft located motor, as compared to the normally used downthrust.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I do plan on trying upthrust on my partially completed Polaris to see how that works on an aft located motor, as compared to the normally used downthrust.
I'm waiting to hear how this turns out.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,078 Posts
Quote:
I do plan on trying upthrust on my partially completed Polaris to see how that works on an aft located motor, as compared to the normally used down thrust.
Hi Thomas, I will be interested in how this turns out, please let us know …. I am flying a Polaris with -2 degrees incidence on the tailplane and motor (as recommended by the designer)

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 05:50 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
So is this plane worth buying then,i'm an experienced flier..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:17 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjack View Post
So is this plane worth buying then,i'm an experienced flier..

I sure think so. If something happens to this one I'll buy another one.