HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:45 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Tic - that's impressive. How many lipos does it take to run it?
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2007, 05:54 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
Flew my Seawind yesterday for the first time. Great little plane. Love it!

First few takeoff attempts resulted in some interesting times as first one tip float caught then the other! But I did get it up for several flights. I then switched to high rates - servo settings per manual - and no more issues on most takeoffs. Full up elevator and ailerons leveled wings quite well.

My CG is between the recommended location and the spar. Inverted flight needed just a slight bit of elevator.

I did notice that the water rudder could be a bit longer so I think I will change that.

I put a couple of Orange strips along the leading edge of the wings and that helps.

Another flying buddy also flew his and loves it also! (inverted photo). He has flown his from grass also and is quite pleased.

Our small group of float flyers - usually under 10 flyers attending - now have 5 of these Seawinds. Should be a lot of fun.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Oct 07, 2007, 06:32 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
JP,
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your success.
Your leading edge orange is a great idea.
When I first started flying, I had a problem with "which way is it going?". my instructor advised me to do exactly what you did. Orange trim tape on the leading edge really solved the problem. Looks cool on the Seawind also!!!
Thanks,
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Oct 07, 2007, 07:39 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
Joe,
Great pics of Seawinds! LE wing strips are a nice touch. I'm going to pass that tip along to some of our club members that were having the same type of orientation issues. Looks like the Fall foliage has started to change colors in your area. How much longer before the water turns hard and gets covered with white stuff?
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:02 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
Mike,
It is a beautiful time of the year up here with all the foliage.

We will try to plan a float fly in Nov and will get some days in Nov without skim ice and we have another float fly next weekend. But it gets a bit cold even with the outdoor fireplace at that camp. And being on the water with a rescue craft can get dangerous with cold water. Wind has caused a lot of problems this year.

Once the snow comes, last year it didn't!, we fly at the club field. I expect the Seawind will excel at that. Hopefully, we will have the white stuff on the ground in Dec.

Another buddy will add some yellow to his Seawind leading edge. It does really help.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Oct 07, 2007, 11:06 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I gave up trying to get to the water to fly mine so I took it to the flying field this morning. Everything was going against a land take off. The grass was kind of tall,
it was wet from the morning fog and dew, I heard that it should be dry.
There was a 90 degree cross wind. But I couldn't wait any longer so I opened the throttle and started sliding.

It seemed like it was not going to build enough speed to lift off but I went ahead and pulled in full up elevator to see what happened.
When it finally broke ground it went nose up because of too much up ele. The wings rocked back and forth so bad I thought that it was surely going to stall and crash.
But it finally picked up flying speed when I finally got the nose back down and the rest of the flight was anticlimaxial. It flies perfectly and the landing was a smooth short skid across the grass.

Now I can't wait to try it on the water. I love the little foam plane.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Oct 07, 2007, 02:35 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
Joe and Tim,

Grass takeoffs and landings have been an unexpected bonus with the Seawind. The ability to take the plane to our normal "land" field and fly it with everybody else, without having to install or remove stuff, has been a real pleasure. There's not too much snow in our part of Texas, but I'd expect the Seawind to work just fine off the white stuff.

The full "up" elevator takeoff does require that you pay pretty close attention and ease off the full stick position when the plane breaks "ground". The good news is that, just like Tim found out,the little plane is pretty hard to stall even on takeoff.

I think I'll try the Yellow stripe on the LE of my Seawind. For some reason I can see yellow better than orange. Thanks again for that tip.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2007, 10:54 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
I gave up trying to get to the water to fly mine so I took it to the flying field this morning.

Tim,

There are several seawinds at the local flying lake here - they range from 20-23oz. All of them were improved with the water takeoff by shaving/sanding the "V" off the tipfloats. The heavier seawinds (like mine on a 2100) needed about 1/4" cut off the floats, especially at the aft end, in order to get off the water. Even with a 9x6SF prop and 15amps, my SW stock was problematic. As soon as I sanded off the V on those tips (plus a little more), I don't even have to do the "full elevator" thing (which seems stupid, forgive me). A waterplane should come up on step and liftoff, and not be "horsed." Now I don't touch the elevator hardly at all, and no more water looping.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:52 PM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
Do you have a picture on the "V" off the tipfloats after shaving/sanding.
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:21 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Sorry it took me a while to get back here....

Photo of hotwired tipfloats below.

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Apr 2005
63 Posts
Which Battery?

After reading the threads, I'm still undecided about which battery to use.
I would prefer a TP1320 3S, but am wondedring 1)if will be to light for proper CG and 2)if it will make the setup slightly underpowered.
Should I go for a 1500 or 1700 instead?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
sheleb is offline Find More Posts by sheleb
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheleb
After reading the threads, I'm still undecided about which battery to use.
I would prefer a TP1320 3S, but am wondedring 1)if will be to light for proper CG and 2)if it will make the setup slightly underpowered.
Should I go for a 1500 or 1700 instead?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
I am using the TP1320 3S pack with the recommended Rimfire motor. I get flight times up to twenty minutes. No balance problems with this pack and motor.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
The TP1320 3s is perfect - the 1500-2100's we have are nose heavy, not so much they won't fly, but they are harder to slow down for landing. Nothing between these batteries will change your "power," since that motor only pulls 12 amps or so on the stock prop (or an 8x6SF), and any of those packs will hold their voltage under that load. The only difference will be duration.

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:03 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
tp 1320 or tanic 1500 (it's the lightest batt in that size).

If you put on a 9/6 - 9/7 you can pull more amps and watts with bigger batteries. Only you can decide if the extra weight was worth it depending on your style of flying. It will be hard to beat a fresh 1320 though.

My oldest 1320 is getting 110 watts to the prop (9/6) and I can still do loops.

Cool
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
The Electrifly Power Series 1250 mAh 11.1V 20C battery that I used for the Seawind EP Review (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703822) works great and has plenty of flight time with the stock motor. I've got a couple of 1320 packs that I fly and the only difference I can tell is slightly longer flight times. I tried a couple of the 2100 packs and they didn't fly as well IMHO because they just made the plane heavier, not faster.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member