Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:37 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Why do you cover the pins?
You need to cover the pins if you're using conformal coating or you'll effectively insulate them from the servo and ESC plugs. I don't know if the same holds true for Corrosion X but I would still be inclined to keep the pins clean -- maybe wipe the CX off the pins after a dunking...

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:32 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,042 Posts
I've never cleaned the pins when I've used CorrosionX, in fact I make sure I coat them and the servo plug ends too. By treating the servo plug ends, you treat the exposed ends of the wires under the crimp connectors and actually wick a little under the servo wire insulation to help protect the wires from corrosion. I have seen the dreaded "white powder" on untreated servo wire leads after they have only been dunked one time.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jul 05, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Thanks
rc flyer dude is offline Find More Posts by rc flyer dude
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:42 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Why do you cover the pins? I just dunk my rcvr and put it back in after drying.
If I use the conformal coating, it is a hard covering, so it would insulate the pins.

Also, for the most part, Fresh Water is an insulator. Salt Water ... different story.

You can test this by using your Ohm meter with both leads in a glass of fresh water and see what the reading is. Then, try salt water.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:22 PM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Had mine out the other day for a flight - still love this plane.
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:57 AM
Joined May 2008
5 Posts
Used vasoline to seal the wing and canopy.

Seems to work well. No water inside. It actually makes the canopy stick to the foam a little.. Never he'd the canopy pop off, I have to pry it a little to get the vasoline to pop free...I leave the wing on all the time but could take it apart if needed. I also added twomscrews to hold down the wing better. One through the back of the canopy opening, into the wing, ( enters the wing just above the wing hold down dowel ) and another screw down through the back of the wing into the fuse. I added ply in both areas for the screws to grab. This holds the wing down well and stiffens the fuse as it doesn't bend now at the wing saddle area.
But my motor mount finally broke!
It didnt pull off the firewall, the box frame broke apart and I was able to land with the motor hanging by two wires.
Trying to find pics of the motor mount rebuild options.
I,m leaning towards adjusting the motor shart to make it mount on a firewall instead of the stock box setup.
popriv is offline Find More Posts by popriv
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Check your props

Just a note for anyone who may have forgot to, or might not be in the habit of, balancing the prop on e-models....

I just assembled my new Seawind EP (I flew a buddy's a few weekends ago and fell in love) and when checking the prop balance before final assembly, I found it to be badly unbalanced. I was going to toss it because I had purchased an extra two-pack of the props when I ordered the plane. Those two were also badly out of balance. Maybe this is contributing to the motor mount failures?

I added a bunch of paint to balance them, but will be ordering a couple of APC 8x6 slow-fly e props.

I can't wait to get it into the water this weekend!

Good flying,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Hi Desmobob -- I balanced my stock prop with sandpaper, but you're absolutely right, it was way out on arrival. I read somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread, that the stock prop offered better power per amp than several others, possibly something to do with the little tip winglets, so decided to stick with it for as long as it lasts. Let us know how you make out with the APC. Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:30 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt View Post
Hi Desmobob -- I balanced my stock prop with sandpaper, but you're absolutely right, it was way out on arrival. I read somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread, that the stock prop offered better power per amp than several others, possibly something to do with the little tip winglets, so decided to stick with it for as long as it lasts. Let us know how you make out with the APC. Dave
The model flew beautifully with the stock props (balanced). It will be a while before I get to try the APCs.

Please check out my thread concerning the HobbyKing OrangeRx FASST 8ch Rx. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18777277

Good flying,
desmobob
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
Hi all,

I just got one of these nice planes, been having a great time with it, but had an incident one windy day. I caught a wingtip in the water and the resulting dunk filled her up with water. Unfortunately this was the day before my corrision-x was set to arrive in the mail (yup I know, my GF already reminds me constantly what a stupid move that was)

Anyway, about 1 or 2 minutes after the dunk there was a pretty good puff of smoke from the motor then a stream of smoke. After inspection the motor is done, burned up pretty good. My first question, is it possible for the motor to be burned up by an ESC that goes bad?

Second I need to put a new motor in, any suggestions?

I'm having trouble determining what motors can have the shaft pushed through so it can be mounted correctly, and of course dealing with the 3 hole motor mount when most motors have 4 holes.

I've been looking at an exceed RC Alpha 450 http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-450-...ess-motor.html it appears to have mounting holes on the end with the shaft, anyone had any experience with this motor?

Thanks in advance

Andy
lambers is offline Find More Posts by lambers
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
948 Posts
Hmmm, the ESC/rcvr should be toast but the motors can run under water so it should be ok. I am moding
Mine too with an eFlite 450 and 30amp ESC.
eroeder is online now Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambers View Post
Anyway, about 1 or 2 minutes after the dunk there was a pretty good puff of smoke from the motor then a stream of smoke. After inspection the motor is done, burned up pretty good. My first question, is it possible for the motor to be burned up by an ESC that goes bad?

Second I need to put a new motor in, any suggestions?

My buddy had exactly the same experience with his Seawind... after the unprotected and untreated electronics got wet, the magic smoke came out of the motor and the ESC melted down.

An electric motor can run wet or even submerged (been there, done that; by accident and on purpose) so we assumed the wet/shorted ESC did the dirty work.

I've used some of the bargain-priced HobbyKing/HobbyPartz motors with success in 450-size helis, but I've seen a buddy regret putting one in his Multiplex FunCub. The first time he had a minor prop strike, the motor shaft broke. I wonder how long it will take him to get a replacement (if he can get one at all)?

Good luck with your Seawind! I love mine so far!

Good flying,
desmobob
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2004
948 Posts
Oh wait, I got confused on what board I was posting too. Tired typing I guess. I am mod'ing my HZ SuperCub with the 450 and 30a ESC. So far, my Seawind will probably stay stock motor but I will change servos to Futaba 3114s. I am loving flying off water.

Yeah, a toasted ESC will do bad things....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:00 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Just a taste of how awesome my weekend was.

SeaWind Float Plane Water Reflections (8 min 13 sec)
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2004
948 Posts
That looks like a great day on the lake! At first I thought the sign next to you was a warning that no swimming due to gators... Make crash retrieval exciting too!
Looks like you are all white now. What will you paint scheme end up being?
RCG Plus Member