SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:18 PM
United States, CA, Shingle Springs
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
What works for landing on me is at 'that point' that she is just about stalling, and about 2" above the water, I cut the throttle a bit and flair. This sticks the stern in the water first and results in a nice landing. However, if there are any waves at all, it gets tougher.

Mike
I'll try that landing technique. Thanks for the tip.
jlorenco is offline Find More Posts by jlorenco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:28 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,223 Posts
I guess if u come in fast it will bounce on the water. I am still using the stock prop..I like it, my Seawind is few years old now and it is a plane with no bad habit..I made a video last week, flew it on a small local lake.. Its a stock setup no changes to motor/thrust setup. I use 3S2200.

Seaplane Great planes Seawind at a local lake (2 min 37 sec)
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Last edited by MartinL; Jul 18, 2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Be careful changing the thrust angle very much. You will find that you will need to add elevator trim to get level flight under power and the plane will dive or climb when you remove power to land.
McD
Not actually true. When the model is balanced properly and the thrust line is adjusted properly, you get much reduced trim changing effects as power and airspeed changes. It will fly as well if not better in level flight and you will get a much smaller trim change when throttling back to land, as compared to the stock thrust line setting.

The key is that it noticably helps one of the most annoying handling habits of this model, the sharp pitch down when power is added quickly at low airspeed.

You would have to go much beyond the amount of thrust angle change that I suggest before you will get any bad effects.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
Hi Guys,
I finally got my Seawind this Friday and I spent all week end putting it together.
It took me a little time because of those LEDS...
After sunset, when the surface of the lake is like a mirror, it will be quite the site!!!
Here are a few Mods I did.

The LEDs are in the foam with epoxy pourd to fill any gap and seal
The aft bottom has been glassed
A few reinforcements to the wing mounting

I went to do the maiden today but it was too windy. I was trying to get a feel for how it handles on water and it started bouncing and dove in. No damages...
alex_blais is offline Find More Posts by alex_blais
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:32 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
I'll post a video of the maiden night flight next week.

The LEDs on the bottom should be powerful enough to illuminate the bottom of the lake in 20 feet or less of water
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
That's an Unidentified Floating Object!

I was going to do some serious maintenance to do on mine (check ailerons for binding), but my nephew has now torn the elevator free of the stab
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_blais View Post
I'll post a video of the maiden night flight next week.

The LEDs on the bottom should be powerful enough to illuminate the bottom of the lake in 20 feet or less of water
Can't wait to see the video. That looks amazing!
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
905 Posts
Alex,
Holy Cow! Incredible!

On my Seawind I have to hold up elevator until she's airborne or she'll keep diving in.

What is that skinny, colored, material your using to waterproof the wing saddle?

I'm definitely getting water intrusion through the saddle area. Was thinking of making a silicone seal as I have done in the past, just not sure if this silicone sealant is compatible with this foam.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:28 AM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
Got the hang of it!
1st, the CG needs to be very close to the CF spar. Mine is 1/8" in front of it.
I must have about 30 flights now but I had no chance making a video...Probably this weekend.
On a cloudy night at around 1:00 AM I could not even see the lake except when the white lights underneath the plane were reflecting on the surface. That was a cool flight

Fast Freddy In the picture above, I used small elastics glued with foam safe CA but I ended using silicone instead. With the CG more backward, you still need to use up elevator but it does not dive anymore.

The wing attachment is really bad. I ended opening the whole thing and putting a balsa block in the wing. When I put the wing on the fuse, it sits on the balsa block in the plane. Now I have a firm attachment
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:31 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
905 Posts
Alex, Good solution to the wing fuselage connection.

I've learned over time that this plane is not very robust. It seduces one with its extraordinary shape and appearance, but with each successive little mishap alignment and other issues persist. Still for the money, you can't beat it.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:08 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
I've learned over time that this plane is not very robust. It seduces one with its extraordinary shape and appearance, but with each successive little mishap alignment and other issues persist.
However, from the piles of crumpled foam arise new and interesting variations! Case is point. My buds Seawind shed its motor in flight. Seems as how oversize motors and High-G maneuvers can lead to structural failures. His solution was to cut off the front of the motor mounting area and make an EDF mount at the front of the wing. It flies just like the original but sounds really cool! Note the variable geometry, soft, floating ductwork -- OK, it's a koozie.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:59 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
However, from the piles of crumpled foam arise new and interesting variations! Case is point. My buds Seawind shed its motor in flight. Seems as how oversize motors and High-G maneuvers can lead to structural failures. His solution was to cut off the front of the motor mounting area and make an EDF mount at the front of the wing. It flies just like the original but sounds really cool! Note the variable geometry, soft, floating ductwork -- OK, it's a koozie.
McD
Jeez Louise!! You're oh so right! Excellent fix! What are the modified specs? I might just have to do that to mine!
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:03 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
I read in a previous post that the RX ready version uses a better foam.
Is this true even for recent models?

Thanks.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:27 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
Got the video of night flying this little bird
Hope you enjoy.

Flight:
Great Planes Seawind EP night flight (7 min 16 sec)

LED setup:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyBoyFl.../2/Dnv21iRcajk
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Got in the first three water flights of Seawind number 2 this past weekend at our Float Fly. Box stock kit version (from the original production run three years ago) except for:

1. modified motor mount to have 1/32" of additonal upthrust (bottom of motor mount built out a little when I changed it for the BP outrunner) It was REALLY flying well with this mod. Does not try to pitch down out of a loop under power, handles better during large throttle increases at low airspeed, etc.

2. Clipped the tip floats about 3/8" near the front and 1/8" at the back. Never touched a tip float on a takeoff, unless I wanted it to touch, even with with some minor wave action. Do not ahve to hold full up at takeoff with this mod.

3. Modifed the motor mount for mounting a four bolt BP2212-13 1000Kv motor. Added a little bit of 1/32 ply doubling and addtional glue to help out the slightly weak stock motor mount assembly. I even used the stock Electrifly prop, not having a chance to pick up an APC.

4. Did the reliable old Saran wrap and RTV silicone trick to make watertight gaskets for the hatch and the wing saddle area. Did not ship one drop of water in these areas during three flights.

Tried one of the new Turnigy Nanotech 1800 three cell packs in it...worked very well...also flew it with a Turnigy 1300 pack as well.

Also had some fun with my newest waterbird, my little Be-200. Picture attached of it taxiing past a tugboat....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 09, 2010 at 08:22 PM.