HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2010, 07:43 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
New water rudder works great. I must say that the stock water rudder is fine, but as va3mw said, there is a sweet spot, yet keeping it at the sweet spot for long taxis is not easy for me, yet with the new water rudder, I can taxi in from about 150 feet or more away from shore. Since I can't land between the docks and hoists now, it is now easy to land out away from all the obstacles and taxi in. So I think it is a success.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:38 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone put a 36mm motor in this fine bird?
Something like this?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=2141
Thanks
alex_blais is offline Find More Posts by alex_blais
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I don't know if anyone has. I put the next larger motor from Tower/ Great Planes. I have lots of power. What is the difference in size between the "stock" motor listed and this motor? If it is larger, there is some wiggle room, but not a whole bunch. Remember this plane flexes some with lots of power, so to have the "stock" motor or just one size up is all that is needed. I fly mine on about half throttle, if I need to get out of trouble, I have lots of power to get out of trouble.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:51 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Alex, the Turnigy 35-30 is a lot heavier than the stock motor (2.7 oz vs 1.9 oz) and will require some lead in the nose to offset its added weight. Otherwise it should work fine.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
I have been flying my electric 71in GP Seawind for the past few years but I crashed it a couple of days ago; I was dumb enough to try the trick where, at the top of a vertical climb stall, you give it full throttle and push the elevator forward - it does a cool spinning thing around the wing axis. I've always been able to recover from this move in the simulator but in real life something went wrong and it nosed into the lake

Fortunately it didn't sink before I got to it; LiPOs are OK as is all the electrics. The interior plywood formers disintegrated and there are cracks around the base of the power pod which feels wobbly now. The seam along one side of the bottom rear of the step split wide open. Wings were both damaged but all is repairable but it will be a LOT of work.

I'm thinking of what I can do to improve it given the rebuild is needed. I thought about moving the step back 3 inches which is supposed to help - anyone done this or got any thoughts?

I've cut the rear hull out (behind the step) which will allow me to get in to do the repairs and (if I decide to do the step modification) will make that simpler too.
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:25 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Someone here on the waterplanes forum listed a Seawind kit for sale. He was told it was not good manners to list it here. I don't know if it is still for sale, but you might think about that also. May be easier to get the whole kit and modify it to what you want, rather than to rebuild yours. Just a thought.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:57 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I got another 30 minutes on the Seawind tonight. The lake was calm as glass. There were lots of people fishing. I don't know why, we had a May Fly hatch last night, so the fish are eating all the May Flys and why would they want anything else.
I flew high and stayed away from the fishermen. I landed and changed batteries and took off again. I now feel pretty comfortable flying this plane. It is a far cry from when I first started flying this plane. I have a picture of the lake now with all the docks I have to avoid. Another hour in the air and I will feel really great about this plane. It is a nice flier and I have finally gotten the hang of flying it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Someone here on the waterplanes forum listed a Seawind kit for sale. He was told it was not good manners to list it here. I don't know if it is still for sale, but you might think about that also. May be easier to get the whole kit and modify it to what you want, rather than to rebuild yours. Just a thought.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Thanks for the heads up Orrin, I just PM'ed the guy asking him if it was still for sale.
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:07 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
867 Posts
I've been using the recommended motor, ESC, and battery set up as specified by GP with a 1250 mAh battery. What a great flying airplane!! However, I'm looking to increase my flight times. Anyone try a 1500 or 1600 mAh battery without losing performance due to extra weight. I've been looking at the Hyperion CXG3 1600 for $30, Hobbycity has a Rhino 1550 mAh for $13! Any thoughts?
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Jun 16, 2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:22 AM
United States, PA, Union
Joined Sep 2007
202 Posts
I've been using the "Power up" 1500mah 30C, from Heads up RC, with good results. I am using the stock motor setup.

Here's the battery: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...1500mah/Detail
curly56 is offline Find More Posts by curly56
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I have used a 1700 mah 2DogRC battery and and 1800mah 2DogRC batteries. I have a couple of other smaller ones. 910 mah from Tower/ Great Planes. Also a 1500mah from them also.
I get about 15 minutes easy with the 1700. I don't fly agresivly.
So I can get at least 30 minutes easy. I put back about 1200mah in the 1700.
These are the older 2DogRC batteries I have, the newer ones I think are lighter. I use what I have.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

opps, I forgot to say I went one motor size up from what they recommended. I also am using a 2DogRC esc with the Rimfire motor. I have all the power I need. It will go straight up at full throttle. Way more power than I need.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jun 16, 2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: fogrot
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:17 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
I've used everything from a 1300mah to a 2200mah pack without issue, but typically use a Zippy 1500mah pack. The plane flies great with all of them. With the heavier pack I ensure it's jammed aft, tight against the servos, but make no other adjustments.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
Montreal, Canada
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2010
77 Posts
OK Dghutt, that means I could use my big 36mm motor and 1 of my 10 2200 zippy packs.

I could push the pack forward and not have to add any weight in the nose...Right?!?
Haa heck, I don't mind a heavy plane as long as it flies fast

Thanks guys
alex_blais is offline Find More Posts by alex_blais
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:55 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
McKinney TX
Joined Aug 2009
79 Posts
Seawind

Bought the plane back in January. Put it together in late April. First couple of flights were off grass. The attached pictures are from Memorial Day weekend. The pictures were taken at our lake house. That was the first time I flew it off the water (I have never flown off water). My 13 year old son has flown it several times off the water. We have about 15 water flights on the plane. It really is a lot of fun taking off and landing on the water. We look forward to many more flights with the Seawind. It has become one of our favorite planes.

Thank you all for the great ideas and suggestions.

Cool Hand Luke

P.S. Here is the link to some of the other toys we take to the lake. Post 16 and 18.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1248906&page=2
Cool Hand Luke is offline Find More Posts by Cool Hand Luke
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:33 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Great pics Luke! In hindsight I'd say the Seawind really ought to be maidened off water: it's far more forgiving than almost any other surface, even in a crash, and offers the biggest, smoothest runway. My only "incidents" with the Seawind have been the times I've flown off land.

@Alex Blais: have you flown the Seawind on the stock motor yet? I'm running a Turnigy 2213/20 1050kv, pretty much the same specs as the stock Rimfire, and must say this bird has loads of power. I'll admit I usually opt for more motor than stock, but with this plane you might be satisfied with the recommended set-up. Also the motormount is a known weak spot. I'd be careful about mounting a much bigger motor. If you do, though, please share your experience!

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt