HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:33 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
Discussion
AerodromeRC 1:6th scale Fokker DVII Build

Brian Williams sent in these photos of his AerodromeRC 1/6th Scale Fokker DVII build.

Brian writes:
"Hi Kurt. At last I am able to report a successful first flight of my/your Aerodrome RC 1/6 scale Fokker D V11.
As usual with your models,I found the build straight-forward... but after all the work involved in painting the lozenge patterns,fitting the control systems and many hours of detailing, I was too intimidated to trust my own flying skills to its maiden flight. Therefor,my thanks to Jack Cann, [our clubs test pilot], for his patience,help and advice.
Motor used is an an AXI 2826/12 with a 4 cell,4200 li-po battery pack,a 40 amp esc, separate bec.and a 13x7 prop. With the battery tucked up to the firewall,the balance point was right on the mark.No extra weight needed.
The weather was perfect...a cool Canadian evening with just a gentle breeze from the South West. Everything was checked twice. It was time to fly!
Jack gave the motor about 3/4 throttle, applied a touch of right rudder and after a 20 foot run she floated herself airborne,wings perfectly level, steady and oh... so graceful. What a thrill to see air appear under the wheels for the first time. The Wright Brothers must have experienced a somewhat similar feeling.
Compared to my 1/12 scale Phalz, the Fokkers 1/6 scale made everything appear to be happening in slow-motion.
Then, at about 4 foot altitude the motor quit...fortunately with enough field remaining to land straight ahead. No damage!
And so it was back to the pits to analyze the problem where we we found it impossible to get a consistent motor run.
I decided that 4 cells might be proving too much for the esc.to handle,resulting in the shut down of the motor. But thankfully. by having a seperate bec,the surface controls had operated without a glitch..
We were about to call it a day when I remembered that I had a 3 cell 4200 pack with me but no matching prop. So I installed the 3 cell pack combined with the original 13x7 prop. Motor cut-off problems were cured but thrust was reduced considerably.
By then we had perfectly calm air and it was just too nice an evening not to enjoy just one gentle circuit of the field. Take-off was definately longer than on the first hop,...... more thrust would have been nice, but a smooth. slow and very stable flight was the result. Some power was kept on for landing. Surprisingly.not one click of trim was used ...thats a first for me! Balanced where the plans indicated, proved to be right on.
Thanks Kurt.Its a great model. The engineering, laser cutting and fit is first class. The next flight will use the original 4 cell,13x7 set-up, with a bigger opto esc. CANT WAIT!
Finaly heres a selection of pictures to illustrate how much I enjoyed the build and to thank you for a great design.
Love those those lozenges!!!!!!!
BRIAN WILLIAMS"

--Kurt
Bengtson is online now Find More Posts by Bengtson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Wow! Brian did a nice job on it. The detailing looks great.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
great work.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:53 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
Thanks for posting. That DVII is fantastic, particularly the color scheme and detailing.
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:38 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
Outstanding model! I have a set of DVII plans from Kurt. I, and probably a lot of others would be greatly interested in details of the finish...techniques, sources of materials, etc. Hope you have the time to share.

Frank
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
Old Aug 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
Frank,
Brian posted details of the build on our discussion forum at:
http://www.bengco.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/...m=1185828768/0

--Kurt
Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:19 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
I have written a manual for the kit and will be posting it on line in a day or so. We will also be releasing it from Proto status at that time.

--Kurt
Old Aug 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
The model is released now and the manual is available also for download.