HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:24 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
Aiptek on Slow Stick in AZ first shot

I used double stick tape to mount a CS10 servo on the side of my Mega Cam, and put a strip of velcro under the fuse of the Slow Stick, just behind the servo. I put a strip of velcro on the back of the camera to look down, and another on the side to look out, as in this photo. I used a very heavy battery (8 AAs) up front to get the CG right.

The photo is of me in front of my house (standing in the runway!), with the Superstition Mountains barely viewable (too hazy today) just under the wing tip.

This is fun!
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:40 PM
Fly
Alamogordo, New Mexico, United States
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
Very Very nice.
Looks like you have a nice field right next door for some faster planes. Now you posted 1 picture you have to keep them coming.

I love housing shots. See all kinds of neiborhoods.
darenm is offline Find More Posts by darenm
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:40 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
1st shot? AWESOME!!

Looks like you got a sharp Pencam, no adjustments required, and the skills to shoot accuratly. Gonna make us look bad!

Darenm, I make a note of your request for housing. I dont have any mountains, or much scenery, but there are plenty of houses around here...

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Last edited by kepople; Nov 18, 2002 at 12:42 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 08:02 AM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! Maybe I should have said first *good* shot off the camera.

I just got the camera, but took pictures from three flights. The first flight I put the camera in a foam case suspended between the wheels, and the waves, even with motor off, were horrible. I think the problem was wind.

Then I tried the velcro directly to the fuse (camera behind the servos), and that works well. All three flights were within hours, and this picture was from the last flight. Most of those 10 pics came out well, but this was the one that best framed my house. Well, one on the second flight came out perfectly framing me and my house, but that had the camera looking straight down (instead of to the side), and all you see is the top of my head!
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
Old Nov 18, 2002, 08:12 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I shoot alot of things straight down and the results are fun. Just depends on what you are trying to shoot. If you want a subject, like your house, the side is the best view, BUT, if you want to show the shape of your house and your head, straight down is great! I recently shot a railroad museum, because the engines were so closely packed together I decided to shoot the tops of the trains to show how long they were and see what engines were there. I found out that the musem needs some maintenance

Congrats anyway! Keep um coming! ps. I like Palm trees!
Kirby
Old Nov 18, 2002, 09:20 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Thats a great shot. I'm in AZ too. And just strapped the mega cam on for some shots. I'm not comfortable enough yet to go in front of the house. Heres a local shot. I think those are the superstitions in the background around 5:30,, starting to get dark.
First ever post, so i hope the pic turns out ok..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:08 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,131 Posts
Nice pics out there in AZ. Went through Arizona and New Mexico last summer for vacation - loved it! If only I had my Slowstick/Pencam with me to take aerial shots of the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Painted desert etc. (landing would have been a challenge with the full parking lots, though). But, I don't know - the height achievable verses the scale of these wonders may not yield much better pics than what's possible by land based photos. Well, Fly, Ripnburn if you're in the area.......???
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Last edited by Robster; Nov 19, 2002 at 08:48 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 08:41 AM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
so high

When your so high does it matter how fast your going.....If you get so high can you still get good pics going fast......thanks
Bill
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
My S/S is so darn heavy now that i just let it fly and shoot.. Some of the pix are a bit blurry but i think its in the lens adjustment.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:45 AM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
how fast

HOw fast is the fastest you where going when you took a pic and it came out good..I have a zagi...flys kinda fast and I am wondering if it will work?
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:58 AM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
I really have no clue as to how fast it was actually going in mph but it was a bit faster than a glide at half stick.
sorry if that doesnt help but im a total newbie. He for a 50 buck investment its worth a shot. if it doesnt work at least you have a fun small camera to take around town.. I saw they make a real small dv recorder now for 150.00.... christmas is just around the corner ..

Heres a reconed one for 69.00....

http://shop.aiptek.com/?page=product&product=PKDV
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:38 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Ripn Good stuff for the first try. You may need the focus adjustment, but a little hard to tell. When I post pix from the pencam by changing the image size to 500pixel along its longest axis. It almost always brings the image down to just under the pix limit for ezone, and keeps the image viewable. Your pix were a littl hard to make out the detail as they were a touch small.

Keep the photos of the mountains coming!
Kirby