HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:09 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Klyce
I agree, electric is much cleaner and less maintenence, and if you can afford the batteries, then you are good to go. Problem is, with a helicopter that size in electric the battery cost is Super high, thats why I am goin with the A-123 batts, so I can charge them fast. So for $600 for 2 packs on my E-620 I should be able to fly as much as I want and not have to wait on packs to finish charging. I guess the large nitro helis are much more affordable to get into than a large electric. But I will have one of each so I will be good to go.
I reckon i'll always be electric. I only want a Logo 500 3D & i'll be very happy. I love my trex's & i don't mind charging & to get over that bit i just buy more lipo's. I can fly electric anywhere with not worrying about noise & if i had nitro i would spend more cash as i would just buy & buy & buy fuel which i guarantee will exceed my lipo spending.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:23 PM
FMJ
Learning
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2008
433 Posts
Yes, I flew today and I flew better than I have ever flown before. That's not saying a whole lot to most of you but I'm a N00B and hovering my B400 @ 15 feet thru almost a whole pack in saying allot for me.

I did have a bad landing and a very minor blade to dirt strike...stripped servos again. It's OK, cause I know how to repair this thing now and I'm VERY excited about my hovering success.

Happy flying!
FMJ is offline Find More Posts by FMJ
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osterizer
Glow helis can usually fly 15-20 minutes on a tank or more. I don't think I want to fly that long, though.
Phew! I dont know what your flying but let me in on that. Mine used to get 7 minutes max before it started draining the header tank.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
got to fly my heli managed to fly circuits for the first time ever going to my granddad's house in norfolk, sheringham tomorrow so may get on the interweb, probably mess around with boats rather than planes and helis
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
Phew! I dont know what your flying but let me in on that. Mine used to get 7 minutes max before it started draining the header tank.
I can get 20 minutes. Rappy Titan w/ a hyper. Running about 1900 w/ mav CF blades......I put the FCOV2 on it today and did some video. It's a lil shakey...but I'll prolly post it later this evening.

I am at about 8000' ASL.....so my motor would be running at leaner settings than most. It's not running lean....but when I go down in elevation I always have to richen it up....err..open the main/secondary needles.
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:48 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
I converted my 30 to a 50 i might have a smaller tank.. idk, seems like i never got that kind of flight times though.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
I flew yesterday...in an MD 500E! Tomorrow is my 50th birthday and my awesome wife set up a flight with the Columbus Police Helicopter Div. on Saturday. What a blast! This was my first time in a heli and I loved every minute. Check out my blog.

Also I got 8 packs in today between my Blade 400 and my king v2.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:55 PM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
I had a great flying weekend!! Whoohoo!!

Hi guys, I flew another 6 tanks though my Rappy today and I am SO in love with this thing! What a BEAST! I finally got my engine broken in and tuned about right and finished of the first gallon of fuel which took about 10 flights to do. I can see that I am going to have to start incorperating "fuel" in my heli budget as I could easily go though 2 gallons in a weekend But it's worth it! My friends at the field told me that when I went back to flying the Blade-400, that I would be a better pilot and to be honest, I didn't believe them but when I got back home after flying my Raptor I took the Blade up thinking that I didn't want to slack from flying the big easy Raptor and I tell you they were right about flying better. I don't understand it Maybe it's because I am more relaxed now flying the Blade after flying the Raptor? All I know is I was whipping that Blade around just like I do in the sim with no fear like I had before. Granted I didn't try inverted but it's not far away! I even lost my tail command temperarly on my Blade today from a bad connection at the plug on my 401 gyro and recovered without crashing!! I was flying along and had just come out of a high bank turn and was hauling a$$ down the straightaway and the tail started to spin and after about 6 turns and enough time for me to say those colorfull words the tail quit spinning and I was now flying backwards, nose in at a high rate of speed and heading for my Trans-am but I got it stopped just before the tail was about to smash into the window. Needless to say, I landed that puppy right there and then started searching for the bad connection which was in the gyro to servo plug which I took apart and tightened up and lubed with silicone grease and reassembled and zippy tied them all together so now all is good. Well I am totally sunburnt and got to go to work tomorrow so good night everybody and I hope yall had a good flying day also!
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer
I flew yesterday...in an MD 500E! Tomorrow is my 50th birthday and my awesome wife set up a flight with the Columbus Police Helicopter Div. on Saturday. What a blast! This was my first time in a heli and I loved every minute. Check out my blog.

Also I got 8 packs in today between my Blade 400 and my king v2.
Hey, Happy Birthday and glad you enjoyed your flight on MY TAX DOLLARS!!!

Ok, I'm jealous, I admit it! PM me as I'd love to hear how your wife pulled that off as that would be TOTALLY cool! And for those of you not in this area, I'm giving our birthday boy a bit of a hard time because the City of Columbus recently announced they were going to cut down the flight time of their fleet of 6 Police Helicopters due to the price of AVGAS (or whatever those buggers burn, kerosene?).

Flew 4 flights on my Gaui 550 today; we're getting back in shape sllloowwlly after a series of mishaps. I clobbered my Heliartist 500D fuse last week, I suspect the belt slipped and I tried to put her down lightly but... Also dinged my Gaui two weeks ago, that I was a suspected downwash stall incident and that clobbered my carbon blades and did another $30+ damage besides. So I've been real nervous getting myself back in the groove; well as much as I can be back in the groove with my badly coordinated flopping around the sky type of flying!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Klyce
Hi guys, I flew another 6 tanks though my Rappy today and I am SO in love with this thing! What a BEAST! I finally got my engine broken in and tuned about right and finished of the first gallon of fuel which took about 10 flights to do. I can see that I am going to have to start incorperating "fuel" in my heli budget as I could easily go though 2 gallons in a weekend But it's worth it! My friends at the field told me that when I went back to flying the Blade-400, that I would be a better pilot and to be honest, I didn't believe them but when I got back home after flying my Raptor I took the Blade up thinking that I didn't want to slack from flying the big easy Raptor and I tell you they were right about flying better. I don't understand it Maybe it's because I am more relaxed now flying the Blade after flying the Raptor? All I know is I was whipping that Blade around just like I do in the sim with no fear like I had before. Granted I didn't try inverted but it's not far away! I even lost my tail command temperarly on my Blade today from a bad connection at the plug on my 401 gyro and recovered without crashing!! I was flying along and had just come out of a high bank turn and was hauling a$$ down the straightaway and the tail started to spin and after about 6 turns and enough time for me to say those colorfull words the tail quit spinning and I was now flying backwards, nose in at a high rate of speed and heading for my Trans-am but I got it stopped just before the tail was about to smash into the window. Needless to say, I landed that puppy right there and then started searching for the bad connection which was in the gyro to servo plug which I took apart and tightened up and lubed with silicone grease and reassembled and zippy tied them all together so now all is good. Well I am totally sunburnt and got to go to work tomorrow so good night everybody and I hope yall had a good flying day also!

You had a great day then, good one. More flights on the rappy & you'll be flying the blade like you stole it (i love that saying)

Did your hobby appreciating wife come along
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jul 28, 2008, 04:23 PM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
just repaired my grandad's twister bell, the aileron was reversedand there was no reversing switches, so i resoldered the pot the other way round and it works now, gonna go flying tomorrow
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jul 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
307 Posts
three packs this am on my copterx....last pack, low hover, and tail belt snapped. spun into the dirt....snapped the carbon skid but that was it. lucky to be low and hovering.....a minute earlier it would have been UGLY!!
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:15 PM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
One pack through my blade. Still trying to sort out the wobble.
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Sparse few days. Today I repaired someone's Belt CP. My flying consisted of hovering it indoors to dial it in. Wait 'til I get my new Trex 450SE going...
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:33 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Flew a few good packs. On my last approach i went to do an auto and came in a bit fast resulting in a hard landing. Broke the seesaw lever. I bought a seesaw with the levers a while back and didnt use the levers, but cant find them of course. Sigh.. looks like it will be another week for a 3 dollar part.