SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:12 AM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
I will.. thats why i own two electrics a 500 and the 450. I havent flown my raptor in over two years. I let the maintanence get away from he and had a tail rotor failure causing a hard landing. Rotors didnt hit, but i havent messed with it since. They are fun but you need a large area to fly them. Where i live now i really dont have that. Local club only caters to plankers.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:50 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
This is just torture, torture.................. Weather is the best it's been all year long, no wind, no clouds, sun, god.... I can't fly or drive anything .

LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:15 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technex
This is just torture, torture.................. Weather is the best it's been all year long, no wind, no clouds, sun, god.... I can't fly or drive anything .

Why? What happened?
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:24 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Main frame bent on Dragonus 450 from last cocky landing onto flightbox, when it vibrated off on spool down. CF parts on there way.

Falcon 3D is waiting for it's gorilla gear which is on the way, and needs a bit of fine tuning.

Robins 22 is waiting for a alu flybar holder and a replacement main blade grip which is also on the way.

Engine is broken on my LSP-R truggy.

Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:47 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
nice & calm, waiting for the missus to get ready, then off to fly the wolf & only the wolf, then to my nans to paint the fence. Should have video up later if all goes well.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:54 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technex
Main frame bent on Dragonus 450 from last cocky landing onto flightbox, when it vibrated off on spool down. CF parts on there way.

Falcon 3D is waiting for it's gorilla gear which is on the way, and needs a bit of fine tuning.

Robins 22 is waiting for a alu flybar holder and a replacement main blade grip which is also on the way.

Engine is broken on my LSP-R truggy.

Am I missing something? TRex 450? You didn't have it or?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:57 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummeh
At least he went out doing some 3D.............

R.I.P. fishy.............

Mike

HA HA!!! They usualy do a few rolls before they manage sustained inverted

I had 8 LARGE goldfish (from 5'' to 10'' long) & i only have 1 left now.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:58 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky
Am I missing something? TRex 450? You didn't have it or?

He wishes
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:25 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
No, I don't have a Trex 450. The Dragonus flies better.

Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:01 AM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
Can't wait to fly my Rappy today, Blade is gonna have to wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osterizer
Glow helis can usually fly 15-20 minutes on a tank or more. I don't think I want to fly that long, though.
I can say one thing about the larger helis "whether nitro or electric", the ease of flying of a big heli is like the difference of driving a race car on Ice and driving a big pickup on dry asphalt. I would have NO trouble flying my Raptor for 20 min on a tank, it's just not stressfull after flying that #$% hard to fly Blade-400 for over 400 flights,(I guess that Blade-400 made me a much better pilot so I am not complaining, sort of like saving the icing on the cake for last ) it makes this big heli like childs play. Yes it's really intimidating at first with those huge blades spooling up and thinking about what would happen if one of them ever hit you but after the first tank, you forget about that, and land for a fill up so you can get right back up again!! Most of the guys I talk to don't mind the nitro issues once the engine is set up right. They tell me just change the glow plug every so often and wipe it down when you are done and check for loose bolts on your pretrip or posttrip inspection. I like seeing the exhaust smoke swirl though the blades while decending, it's a good lesson in physics . I can see the noise being a problem with the neigbors but I have an answer for that as I am in the middle of building my E-620 Raptor with a Kasama head and 10s-2p, A-123 cells, A-123 frame, Z50-800kv, carbon blades, and a Castle HV-85, it will be a while as setting up this Heli is costing some serious $$$
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Last edited by Steve Klyce; Jul 27, 2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:12 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
15-20 mins is a long time other than for sport flying.

You have the hassle of engine repairs, replacing bearings, needle settings, liners, piston, conrods it may seem like fun, and it is to a extent but when you want to get out there and fly these things set you back a while.

Personally I find it faster to pull off two strips of velcro and stick another lipo in then to go through the hassle of refilling with nitro.

I can't wait until I get a 500 or 600 heli, hovering a 600 is so easy, never hovered a 500 though, hear they're like the 600.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
Large nitro=cheaper and noisy, large electric=cleaner and quiet

I agree, electric is much cleaner and less maintenence, and if you can afford the batteries, then you are good to go. Problem is, with a helicopter that size in electric the battery cost is Super high, thats why I am goin with the A-123 batts, so I can charge them fast. So for $600 for 2 packs on my E-620 I should be able to fly as much as I want and not have to wait on packs to finish charging. I guess the large nitro helis are much more affordable to get into than a large electric. But I will have one of each so I will be good to go.
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:32 AM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com
A dream job, eh? Do they carry Align products? Is there anyone there who knows how to build and set them up?
well the manager is into helis, and i can build and setup my belt cp, theradio gear can't be that different
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:49 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster
Believe me you will think of a better way! I just used a piece of lego (melted one side for boom to sit it) and zip ties. Oh and gobs of hot glue... Only designed to last a week or two since my Compy FP belt drive kit is coming Monday or so
Thanks! And tail? What did you do for tail? Brushless motor controller by separate ESC (as me); brushless motor + tail pitch assembly + servo or brushed motor?

- - -

BTW I flew only three sets of packs but enjoyed it immensely: second was great - only tic-tocs + side tic-tocs with 500 side heli. fantastic! Give me another 11-12 months and I will have them stable and clean

- - -

BTW something happened that made me stop flying, pack and go home:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...04&postcount=1
Last edited by clicky; Jul 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:00 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Yes i did http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post10227088 post 415