HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:05 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Finally good day (cold but sunny) and got two flights through my 6S MT. More and more I am thinking that I made mistake not converting it sooner to 6S and flying it more often! Today it almost felt like Protos. I know those were only 350mm blades, but I managed slow and controlled side tic/tocs with it (with no head bogging as 6S just kept it there no matter how bad I was), a few piro flips, half piro flips, nice continuous flips and some quite low inverted pirouettes.

And, now days inevitable high alt autos. Most of the times heli stayed on skids after touching ground!

I'm definitively investing more into 6S cell combinations (at the moment it is just 2x 1000mAh 3S Gens Aces)...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:51 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
a break in the weather around here and while I was super busy, I managed a few paks over the last two days. The nCPx lives upto its reputation as indistructable, I managed some backward circuits with her today. Flew my 130x for the first time....OMG that heli ROCKS....I can see it being my favorite flier. I think if flies better than a 250. A few paks through the mCPx and EXI450Pro and I am feeling pretty good. The success of the nCPx and 130x makes me want to try a 300x just what I need....another heli

Hope everybody is getting some air
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,657 Posts
Guest flying....

Two flights with a 600N, a bit of a go on a Trex 700E V3, a Logo 400 and a Blade 400 at the Ribble Valley club today - cut short only when it started to snow.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Hey ewoodcox— you sharpie, you. I managed to hoist the Frankenrex 450 SE a few times and chucked it around. Crashed my foamie fixie too (I still think like a helicopter guy during landings).

But check out this YouTube video of a helicopter plucking an RC airplane out of a high tree top for a grateful aeromodeler that I just posted in the electric airplanes forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3944

P.S.: the O.P. on the thread I posted to gave me an unfriendly, offhand slap for posting this video, so I cancelled out of the thread. I would not expect a reaction like that on a helicopter forum....
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
very cool zen, guess I'd like to add a R22 to the fleet too
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Malaysian Flier
Selangor, Malaysia
Joined Jan 2008
237 Posts
nice helping hand there.
zhnme523 is offline Find More Posts by zhnme523
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:02 AM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Squeezed 2 packs in at the park on the way to work this morning. And 3 packs in the back yard tonight.

Only enough room to hover in the back yard, but managed some figure 8's and a tinny bit of nose in at the park.

Up to 30 flights no unforced errors.
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:05 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,482 Posts
Some touch and go flybys yesterday
L-59 Touch N go tries (1 min 57 sec)

January 11th flight with the 450 Airwolf
Morning flight Walkera V450 Airwolf (1 min 32 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,393 Posts
That L59 is lovely! I almost bought one but went for the Tiger Moth from CMP instead. The L59 will be a project for another month when funds permit.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Clear & relatively warm in the San Francisco Bay Area today, and I managed to grab a little air time to test a set of CF '3D' low-cost main blades that replaced the no-name narrow chord cheapies that are impossible to get to track on the 450.

The park I flew in is next to an elementary school so the fence was lined with small kids and one teacher as I flew. Naturally I did a demonstration of my usual simple aerobatic repertoire but this time got a standing ovation when I landed.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Clear & relatively warm in the San Francisco Bay Area today, and I managed to grab a little air time to test a set of CF '3D' low-cost main blades that replaced the no-name narrow chord cheapies that are impossible to get to track on the 450.

The park I flew in is next to an elementary school so the fence was lined with small kids and one teacher as I flew. Naturally I did a demonstration of my usual simple aerobatic repertoire but this time got a standing ovation when I landed.

Simple & well executed easily outweighs exotic & loose.

Congrats.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post

Well done! That must feel really good! Here where I fly people try to turn head to other side so they don't recognise that you've done something new or demanding
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
No flying... that's 2.5 months down....9.5 to go. On a plus side the bikes almost finished now so this summer i hope to get lots of riding done & zero flying. I 'might' order the bits i require at the end of the yearr?? I still have a flyable Airwolf, I just don't want to fly it right now. If i'd not stopped i would have had inverted piro circles nailed this year & possibly more consistantly stationary piro flips.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy View Post
No flying... that's 2.5 months down....9.5 to go. On a plus side the bikes almost finished now so this summer i hope to get lots of riding done & zero flying. I 'might' order the bits i require at the end of the yearr?? I still have a flyable Airwolf, I just don't want to fly it right now. If i'd not stopped i would have had inverted piro circles nailed this year & possibly more consistantly stationary piro flips.
I like your avatar, too cool
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:08 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Clicky— thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is always rewarding to share our hobby/sport with onlookers and especially children. Naturally there were two who wanted 'to try it' and one was a little girl! I told her that if she really wants a helicopter her parents will get her one.

Today the weather was perfect, so I tried out my nose-wheel repair on my Flyzone Cessna Corvallis. It survived the takeoff but not the landing. Flyzone has really dropped the ball on this model, because the rest of it is a sweet flyer, but the otherwise sturdy front LG strut is turned down to a measly 2 mm, which is further weakened by being threaded, to retain the wheel pant and wheel. Removing the front LG requires deep fuselage surgery.

The 450 SE flew as well as always and I made incremental progress on my nemesis: tail-in inverted. I must be the slowest learner here, but what the heck.

A couple of guys are coming by tomorrow to have their 450's examined and tuned. One can fly circuits, the other can't so I told him to use a Honey Bee FP to practice orientations. I put one in order to sell to him and have been flying it around my living room. I forgot how much fun this little critter is, but I sure learned a lot with it back in the day.