HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:06 PM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2004
109 Posts
I did 2 batts today, in my HK450FBLTT, I had the laptop with me and tried upping the cyclic on the zyx-s to 45, man I love this setup. I can go up to 60, it just gets quicker!. And yet still can cruise around on this setting. Inverted with FBL is so much easier. The heli's getting nearer to the sim experience every day.
Also - it was 41deg heat today and the batts didnt get more than warm.
2StrokeMatty is offline Find More Posts by 2StrokeMatty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:41 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
I been charging mcpx batteries and flying it for days now.. Soon for the bigger ones, setting them up with new parts and need to order this or that lol
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:15 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I flew today ... a plank, of all things. I've had a Flyzone Cessna Corvallis in a box downstairs for the longest and last night I suddenly built it. (Thing is practically pre-built so it just sort of snaps together.) But it has ailerons and even flaps and is a low-wing design. Not overpowered by any means but enough oomph to pull itself into the air, where it looks pretty darned scale. I had a ball taking off and setting up landing approaches and even got it to loop and do wing-overs.

I think the T-rex 450 SE sitting in the car got jealous.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:49 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Clicky...I'm really looking at getting a micro next month. Has it helped your flying more than the sim? Or is it more to keep things fresh in your mind on the days you can't fly at the field?
I have told that story before, but here it is again: I was at stage when I decided to properly learn(*) to fly inverted (was able to hover nose in only) and started doing it with my MT. Slow and painstaking process - doing tiny CCW inverted circuits trying to build up to slow pirouettes. Had two crashes of which one was quite serious (even though didn't seem at the moment of crash) and then I got mCP-X.

mCP-X taught me to fly inverted. Really. The moment I picked it up I continued with stationary inverted pirouettes training - both sides, then funnels, backward (inverted) and generally managed to get to point where I didn't really had a proper crash with 'real' helis (non mCP-X - things that can break ) since. After getting mCP-X, a few months later - got it in April and around mid summer or slightly later I was able to do half piro flip with my Protos and go into steep and then fast hurricane (inverted backward of course).

I started learning piro flips with mCP-X but it wasn't really right thing for it. And then I got 130X and immediately after that nano. With these two I learned piro flips and started learning them in all orientations and direction - but winter came and I slowed down in flying. To get hang of piro flips and get them started I needed sim - but I contribute 'properly' learning them to these two small helis!

If I am to start from scratch I would first get nano, then 130X and then, depending on circumstances Protos (bigger, open field) or Mini Titan - FBL for sure. Ah and sim for sure! But I am to choose between sim and nano/130X combination I would, at this stage, probably go with real (small) helis!

Unlike mCP-X, nano is not that much 'wind friendly' but 130X is far better and that was the reason I would go with both. Nano is fantastic for my garden (which has around 10m across and slightly more length wise flying space). 130X can fly there as well but I feel a bit 'restricted'.

I still take Protos or Mini Titan (or both) to the flying field along with nano or 130X or both and use small helis as kind of 'warm up' and to first try things I am not 100% sure of. They can be crashed with little or no consequence unlike big helis!

(*) properly as in being able to master any orientation and direction - learning slow pirouettes first.
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:41 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Protos?

Clicky, what do you think of your Protos? I love the idea of the single belt drive - does it result in quiet running? (any videos?) I hate the gear mesh sound on helis, and the belt drive on my Caliber 5 nitro made it sound better than my 600N. Do you have the carbon or plastic edition, and is it really that much lighter than a Trex 500? Are there any DFC FBL options, or would you have to shorten your own mainshafts to run a DFC head?

My only reservation about the Protos is that cancerous lump of a boom-mounted tail servo - I much prefer them hidden by frame mounting.

(P.S. sorry for going off topic!)
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:09 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
@ridge_racer, +1 to everything clicky said. I have all 3 micros he mentioned and without a doubt I'd say get a nano first. It's little squirrely compared to the mCPx but I have yet to loosen or break a part in 20+ crashes.

The mCPx crashes ALWAYS required pushing the main gear back up the shaft and usually lost a main grip link in a crash. Still quite often even after capturing them with the "thread mod".

@2Doggs, my buddy has 2 Protos's (1 is stretched) and I've flown them. They are the most quiet heli you'll ever fly. The only real noise is the sound of the blades. They are really light weight and fly SO SMOOTH too. If you were going to get one, I'd go for the stretch version right of the bat. I think the stretch is a still a CF version only (needs to be more rigid than the non-stretched version). Nothing wrong with either but I'm 99% sure you'd prefer the stretch if you tried both.

I'll let Clicky add his comments now
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
I have told that story before, but here it is again: I was at stage when I decided to properly learn(*) to fly inverted (was able to hover nose in only) and started doing it with my MT. Slow and painstaking process - doing tiny CCW inverted circuits trying to build up to slow pirouettes. Had two crashes of which one was quite serious (even though didn't seem at the moment of crash) and then I got mCP-X.

mCP-X taught me to fly inverted. Really. The moment I picked it up I continued with stationary inverted pirouettes training - both sides, then funnels, backward (inverted) and generally managed to get to point where I didn't really had a proper crash with 'real' helis (non mCP-X - things that can break ) since. After getting mCP-X, a few months later - got it in April and around mid summer or slightly later I was able to do half piro flip with my Protos and go into steep and then fast hurricane (inverted backward of course).

I started learning piro flips with mCP-X but it wasn't really right thing for it. And then I got 130X and immediately after that nano. With these two I learned piro flips and started learning them in all orientations and direction - but winter came and I slowed down in flying. To get hang of piro flips and get them started I needed sim - but I contribute 'properly' learning them to these two small helis!

If I am to start from scratch I would first get nano, then 130X and then, depending on circumstances Protos (bigger, open field) or Mini Titan - FBL for sure. Ah and sim for sure! But I am to choose between sim and nano/130X combination I would, at this stage, probably go with real (small) helis!

Unlike mCP-X, nano is not that much 'wind friendly' but 130X is far better and that was the reason I would go with both. Nano is fantastic for my garden (which has around 10m across and slightly more length wise flying space). 130X can fly there as well but I feel a bit 'restricted'.

I still take Protos or Mini Titan (or both) to the flying field along with nano or 130X or both and use small helis as kind of 'warm up' and to first try things I am not 100% sure of. They can be crashed with little or no consequence unlike big helis!

(*) properly as in being able to master any orientation and direction - learning slow pirouettes first.
Clicky...thx for the informative post. I have progressed to inverted hover with just a SIM and my 450s. It seems like I could benefit too from a micro to clean up on learning things from the SIM in the comfort of my home on cold days without an expensive crash. Thx again.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
@ridge_racer, +1 to everything clicky said. I have all 3 micros he mentioned and without a doubt I'd say get a nano first. It's little squirrely compared to the mCPx but I have yet to loosen or break a part in 20+ crashes.

The mCPx crashes ALWAYS required pushing the main gear back up the shaft and usually lost a main grip link in a crash. Still quite often even after capturing them with the "thread mod".

@2Doggs, my buddy has 2 Protos's (1 is stretched) and I've flown them. They are the most quiet heli you'll ever fly. The only real noise is the sound of the blades. They are really light weight and fly SO SMOOTH too. If you were going to get one, I'd go for the stretch version right of the bat. I think the stretch is a still a CF version only (needs to be more rigid than the non-stretched version). Nothing wrong with either though.

I'll let Clicky add his comments now
How is the collective response on the nano?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:19 PM
What's Nitro?
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Better than the mCPx but not as good the 130x. I think it's actually the perfect live trainer. Using that and a SIM you can advance quite well.

That said, I bought my micros to learn and practice backwards upright and inverted forward & backward flight. The softer collective is actually a good thing as it teaches you collective management.

I don't practice unfamiliar stuff with my 600 sized Logos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
How is the collective response on the nano?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:46 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Clicky, what do you think of your Protos? I love the idea of the single belt drive - does it result in quiet running? (any videos?) I hate the gear mesh sound on helis, and the belt drive on my Caliber 5 nitro made it sound better than my 600N. Do you have the carbon or plastic edition, and is it really that much lighter than a Trex 500? Are there any DFC FBL options, or would you have to shorten your own mainshafts to run a DFC head?

My only reservation about the Protos is that cancerous lump of a boom-mounted tail servo - I much prefer them hidden by frame mounting.

(P.S. sorry for going off topic!)
Wrong person to ask! Sorry! O : ) I'm quite in love with Protos and thus very subjective!

Yes, I have both - plastic and carbon (425mm and 470mm stretched) and love both! It is quieter (by opinion of many people) and definitively lighter (described as a 'brick' by Protos pilots). You should have read what people who had TRexes said when they tried Protos - and many just sold their TRexes and never looked back. On both I have just 'standard' MSH FBL head (and not another MSH lower FBL) and I just see no reason to worry about it. It flies perfectly (for my skills).

Videos are at http://www.youtube.com/justclicky and I can fly far better (at each video for skills of that period) and have no fear of camera. And, yet, every time someone is videoing me I mess up even the simplest things! Last couple of videos I was so ashamed that I didn't even post them there
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:49 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
Better than the mCPx but not as good the 130x. I think it's actually the perfect live trainer. Using that and a SIM you can advance quite well.

That said, I bought my micros to learn and practice backwards upright and inverted forward & backward flight. The softer collective is actually a good thing as it teaches you collective management.

I don't practice unfamiliar stuff with my 600 sized Logos.
+1 - Completely agree with you!

Although I still cannot make my mind about beginners - is mCP-X better choice to nano or not. If one is experienced and can fly comfortably - I would say nano+130X combo is good option for sure. But if not - I am still not 100% sure if maybe just simple mCP-X would be slightly better choice... Hm...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:14 PM
What's Nitro?
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
The reason I pick the Nano over the mCPx is it's crash resistance. It's not fun when you have to repair a heli (as minor as they are) after every crash.

It's also a pain when you're losing links (sometimes even with the thread mod).

If it wasn't for those reasons, I'd recommend the mCPx without a doubt.

The Nano is a little more unstable than the mCPx but with some extra expo, it is tamed quite nicely. IMHO, the upgrade/improvement ladder is:

1) Nano & SIM
2) 130X
3) mini-Titan
4) Logo 500 (or 600)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Well, lacking a sub-micro and having spent far too much on 450's, 450 parts, the 500, and parts for that, I am learning inverted orientations with a 450. For some reason tail-in while inverted is my psychological nemesis. I can do it on the sim all day long, but get a real helicopter in the air and it seems like a foreign language. However today I made a point of hovering that way about ten times and piro'd back to nose-in from each side.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:35 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
There's definitely a psychological element to it - as indeed you should know with your screen name. I started to look at micro helis, thinking I need something to push my skills along and get off that comfortable plateau of just flying around. How does the Solo Pro 100 or the Turnigy FBL100 compare with the Nano? Or should I eat the humble pie and ask these questions in the beginner area?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up buying a Wasp 100 micro to try out. Worst case if it doesn't fly as well as advertised, I will just get a Nano. I also recently got Phoenix about a month ago. It has helped a lot because I can now use the same 9x radio for this sim that I use to fly.