SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:10 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I did fly today! :D

... three sets of batteries (2x 3S = 6S) through my stretched Mini Titan (and entirely enjoyed it) and three through stretched Protos 500 (hm... stretched theme today? )... And all ended in controlled crash - botched auto from 2m with Protos breaking one blade holder. Luckily on that one! And that all happened after I've lost control over tail quite high up (fortunately upright) but it didn't go to uncontrolled pirouette - only tail didn't react on rudder stick input. It happened just after I left a piro flip...

I am entirely impressed how cool I remained and brought it back slowly and in control and only because I was worried that it will go into a fast pirouette I decided to auto it and as orientation was a bit strange (wasn't 100% sure exactly where it pointed as it was already slowly becoming dusk) it flipped over when went down with some forward speed into grass. As I said - fortunately only the weakest part broke and nothing else.

After inspection I found out that tail slider got disengaged from control arm. Maybe material fatigue (after all that slider is over 2 - maybe 3 years old).
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:05 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,835 Posts
Yes got out and flew the 500pro for two packs nice and sweet! not so with the 450. I think the swash getting stuck didn't damage the servo, I think it damaged the gyro.

Is it possible for the resolution to get damaged? When the swash moves up and down it starts to get jumpy right were the swash had gotten stuck. I thought the servos got burned there so I replaced all three, but it is still doing it. Not too bad in flight, but trying to land is a pain. I ended up just hitting throttle hold.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:33 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,017 Posts
I can't imagine how the controller could malfunction for only part of the servo range - so I reckon there must still be some sort of binding around centre.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,835 Posts
New shaft and swash! And that was the problem. I took it apart there at the field and it took two of us to get the swash unstuck from the main shaft. Right now I look just like my minions
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,835 Posts
Just forgot I took the swash out of the equation last time before I put in new align servos. That is what made me know it was the servos and the reason I changed them Of course I didn't check it again after installing the new ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:09 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,017 Posts
Happy Endings...

All's well that ends well!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,835 Posts
Well off to shop for a new gyro!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,393 Posts
my flying has been limited and not too successful I finished my new EXI450Pro with a CopterX TT and FBL head and a 3X1000 FBL controller.
I was getting things finshed up for a test flight when i decided to see if my motor wires were correct. I couldn't get the motor to go at all, when I finally did it was at full throttle....I caught it quick but not before I pranged my tail and bent the drive shaft

A evening of fixing and careful checking i got everything fixed up, the went out on Saturday to fly this new heli and .....somehow my tail was reversed....I tipped and scuffed my new blades, my brand new build is starting to look like its been around the patch a few times. Anyway, flew the pak and another in my FBL SE V2 which flew smoooooooooooth

Spent some time fixing the tail issues last night and today I went out for the next try and my swash was initializing at a visable tilt.....that is new I decided to give her a test hop and......she tipped after being essentially uncontrollable scuffing the main and tail blades even more!!!! Anyway, once again flew the charged paks in another heli.

So I am flying, but the latest build is being a PITA, the cloudy days/crappy light make the helicopter disapprear into the treeline, and these short days completely sU&k!! Otherwise, I can't complain too much

Hope everyone is getting some air and having happy holidays!
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,393 Posts
well, today I went over my setup in my 3X1000 to see what happened in yesterdays terrible test flight. It looks like the settings had all be set back to default, except the servo trim. I went through the setup.....very carefully and it looks pretty good. Supposed to rain and snow until ~3PM tomorrow so I am hoping to get a test flight in tomorrow afternoon

Everybody quit flying?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,835 Posts
Yes it's cold out!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Yes. I usually quit flying outdoors in Nov. and fly inside a School gym and occasionally a golf dome until spring.

I could fly outside in the winter but it's just not fun. Hands cold to the point you lose that precision feel. Wind blowing in your face making your eyes water.

The Blade nano CPx mCPx and 130X are perfect for the gym that has flying "classes" all winter long.
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,308 Posts
I brought my EXI 450 to work and flew a couple of packs at lunch at a nearby park. I haven't been doing much flying these days; short days, long nights and crappy weather, so it felt real good to let her rip...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,308 Posts
Everybody quit flying?
-Heck no; in addition to noontime flying I flew before work today! :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,393 Posts
man it's cold out there, at least there is no snow...I guess if folks can fly in Vermont we can fly here in Central NY

Success today, my EXI450Pro with copterX FBL head and copterX TT flew....seemed to be going great when the motor started cutting out....I made it back to the driveway and hovered with the motor spitting for a minute. She flew soooooooo nice for ~4 minutes. When I got her in the house I found the ESC lead was too tight and coming out of the RX I tie-strapped it in and went out for another pak, still some glitches gains coming in....but she is flying At this rate it will take some time to work out the kinks only doing 1-2 paks every few days This thing has tons of power with the 3700 kV motor Once I get her tweaked I predict she will be one of my favorite fliers

Anyway, it was 28 degF when I flew so you have to want it
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
957 Posts
Eastern Shore Of MaryLand here it's 52degF with N winds at 8mph I put 2 packs threw My 500 and she is still my favorite flier!
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart