HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Up View Post
Good Trusting Friend ! Iím the only one in this small community that flies Heliís so itís me or nothing. Actually Iíve never seen anyone fly live. Good thing for the Interent.
Nothing wrong with cheap if built with care and flown in a responsible mannerÖ
He currently owes me for two crashes on my UK 450!

I've always been a bit of a lone hand type flyer, rather than a club flyer, and most of the people I work with seem to think it's a bit odd getting excited about flying toy helis. It is good to fly alongside someone else at times, though, just to guard against developing strange habits if nothing else. You might not be aware that you're favouring one direction of turn over the other, for example. It's also always good to see other folks' setups, and fly their helis too.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I flew today: 450 SE and 500 ESP. Crashed the 450 in a horrible deja vu manner. The last time I flew where I was today one of the plastic link ends of the turnbuckle long adjusting links let go. (I had re-installed it after it had pulled out, so it was my fault the threads in the link end were sub-par.)

Well, I put a decent link end on the turnbuckle and flew the heck out of the heli fifteen or twenty times. Then today, flying at the same spot, as I was rolling back upright from inverted, the plastic link end on the port servo arm let go of the threaded metal link and in it went. At least it wasn't from dumb thumbs.

Tonight I finished the repairs: main bearings, main gear, main shaft, and 35.00 Edge main blades! FortunateIy had a set of CY's in the heli room, which I actually prefer, but there will be a parts order from aero-micro tomorrow.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:04 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Superbrain 45A ESC

Sorry to hear of your crash, Zen. Some of those turnbuckle links have very fine threads.

First flights with my new Superbrain 45A ESC in my HK 450 Pro. Governor mode keeps the HS really constant, within a couple of hundred rpm according to the flight data logs. The logging function is my main reason for buying the Superbrain, and the 45A can run up to 6s packs and has a 4A SBEC. Previously, I'd used the 3s capable 40A Superbrain and had to add a UBEC .

I was able to get a good comparison between my sole surviving Gens Ace 4s 1800 25c pack, which has about 110 cycles on it, and my new 4s 1800 Nano Tech 25-45c packs. In flight, they feel much the same but the battery voltage looks to hold up better on the Nanos. Whilst the Gens Ace pack is quite tall, and a tight fit under the 450 canopy, the Nano techs are just about the same size as a regular 3s 2200 pack, and fit with room to spare.

Using a 13t pinion with my 2500kv motor, my maximum governed HS is only 2750, so I'll be upping the gearing soon. With my previous 3s setup, I was seeing maximum power around 250w.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
I flew today: 450 SE and 500 ESP. Crashed the 450 in a horrible deja vu manner. The last time I flew where I was today one of the plastic link ends of the turnbuckle long adjusting links let go. (I had re-installed it after it had pulled out, so it was my fault the threads in the link end were sub-par.)

Well, I put a decent link end on the turnbuckle and flew the heck out of the heli fifteen or twenty times. Then today, flying at the same spot, as I was rolling back upright from inverted, the plastic link end on the port servo arm let go of the threaded metal link and in it went. At least it wasn't from dumb thumbs.

Tonight I finished the repairs: main bearings, main gear, main shaft, and 35.00 Edge main blades! FortunateIy had a set of CY's in the heli room, which I actually prefer, but there will be a parts order from aero-micro tomorrow.
Sorry about the crash. I think I am like you and have new or better parts, but don't want to jinks myself by putting something new on. I think they make the rods to small on the 450. My elevator always feels like it's only holding on by a thread or two.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
I managed to have a fly today with my 250. I only have one out of three that is in operation. The other 2 have some servo slop. Time for an upgrade on the servos. At least the weather was nice.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Superbrain 45A ESC
Cool logging features! Now a back to back accompanying vid to more or less correspond with the squiggly lines would be the catís meow. Any chance of that next time out?
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Up View Post
Cool logging features! Now a back to back accompanying vid to more or less correspond with the squiggly lines would be the catís meow. Any chance of that next time out?
Not at the moment unfortunately! I only have a keychain cam which I sometimes fly on the 450. Since I don't have a Youtube account, I'm limited to a 1.95MB max video upload to RCG! For the keychain cam output, that would be just a few seconds of video.

In the past, I've tried using a helmet cam, but I have a habit of holding my head at an angle, and I couldn't keep the heli in shot, even when using an aiming device made from a wire coat hanger.... A friend of mine also reckons I have some heli to TX mixing going on, since I tend to move the TX during heli moves, and probably pull a few faces too.

The squiggly lines only result from fairly basic moves like loops, flips, rolls and stall turns. I used about 100mah more per pack this morning, and it turns out my pinion is a bit mangled. The heli has been getting a bit noisier of late, so I should have spotted it without any "electrical" evidence. Actually looking again at my logs, the governor is holding HS to within about 50rpm, since the magenta line in the logs is motor, rather than rotor rpm.

The pinion damage makes me wonder, though - how can a soft nylon maingear cause damage to a relatively hard brass pinion? I don't see any bits of anything hard lodged in the maingear teeth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
NPÖ I just thought it would be a cool concept for you guys that like messing with thingsÖ
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
I flew two packs today on my Pantera P6 taking the new MSH Brain for a spin right before the rains started pouring again. Looks like it's gonna be raining for a while too...

I'm liking the cyclic feel and behavior of the Brain. Inputs are pure, response is precise, feel is smooth and connected, and there are no weird interactions or drifts. I played for almost half pack today doing continuous FF rolls all along the flight line. I could get in a good 4-5 complete (360į) rolls and it required absolutely no elevator correction all along the way - hold full right (or left) cyclic, alternate collective, and watch it fly by tracking perfectly down the line.

But the major milestone today was that I just pushed past 36 hours of stick time in my RC helicopter career, counting only flight time on the 450, 500 and 600. That's 401 flights, or over 11.9 kWh of energy beating the air into submission.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Cyclic Shakes

finally got around to getting my #2 HK450 Pro airborne this morning. Whilst the #1 uses a Tarot FBL head and DS410's on cyclic, the #2 has the HK RJX head, Henge 922's on aileron and a Corona 929MG on elevator. Both use a CX fbl controller, and I set all my servo directions to normal in my TX, and all the reversing is done in the CX. That means I can fly both 450's using the same model memory.

I had to drop the cyclic gains on the #2 though from 40 down to 30. In the hover, it was shaking like a wet dog. It's great to have two similar helis to compare components, though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Mix-n-match cyclics is generally not suggested is it?

~psguardian
psguardian is online now Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Nasty weather last two days with more on the way. Both heli's are in good mechanical condition so I guess I'll see what's up with my as yet-untried Align flybar-less T-rex Pro.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Mix-n-match cyclics is generally not suggested is it?

~psguardian
No, not generally - but since my #2 450 is a bit of a beater, using what bits I have available, I replaced a broken 922 with the 929. Steve (Kauaiguy) had assured me the controller could compensate for servos with different speeds, and it certainly seems to be the case. There's no difference in flight, at least that I can tell, compared with how it flew with 3 x 922's. To be honest, I fitted it to satisfy my own curiosity, and at some point I'm going to put better cyclics on the heli - TY 306's even.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
No, not generally - but since my #2 450 is a bit of a beater, using what bits I have available, I replaced a broken 922 with the 929. Steve (Kauaiguy) had assured me the controller could compensate for servos with different speeds, and it certainly seems to be the case. There's no difference in flight, at least that I can tell, compared with how it flew with 3 x 922's. To be honest, I fitted it to satisfy my own curiosity, and at some point I'm going to put better cyclics on the heli - TY 306's even.
Well done! I like when people experiment. That's how we learn. It is similar to story about 500 size helis and satellite: one or two (full size receiver + satellite or just satellite). Of course I am talking about Spektrum technology. There were people saying that only one satellite is insufficient and we'll suffer for signal loss, and yet nobody so far confirmed that it even happened. (BTW I am not saying which one people should go with and myself I would rather put 'two just in case'. And we know that satellite's wires can develop problems and if you have only one that's not the best thing to happen to your heli spinning 425 or 470mm blades at 2800RPM close to you and then lose signal due to dodgy wires )

Anyway - good thing I always said to people about FBL is that it tries really hard to iron out all the inconsistencies in setup - slop in servos, and head, external factors, etc... Now we can say even unmatched servos!

I bet that even with three completely different servos with (good?) FBL controller heli could still be flyable to a degree. Much more than without FBL controller!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Clicky beat me to it lol. It is a cool result to the experiment, I just needed a sanity check to my 'conventional' thinking. :-) 306s on a beater, man that should be a screamin' test bed.

~psguardian
psguardian is online now Find More Posts by psguardian