HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeMatty View Post
My sticker on my motor peeled - I thought I'd done a main gear till I checked it out, peeled it off, back up again. It's amazing how much noise a tiny sticker can make!.
That reminded me of the first eflite 400's. They had kinda recall because the stickers on the motors were coming off and causing crashes.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:48 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
That reminded me of the first eflite 400's. They had kinda recall because the stickers on the motors were coming off and causing crashes.
I used to balance my tail blades with a skinny piece of tape on one, well one day it started pealing, then came off but at the time the sound freaked me out. It's crazy how weird sounds get when things are spinning fast.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
3 Rules of RC Helicopters

#1 After a new build or rebuild, always check control (and throttle) directions on the bench.

#2 Always make sure you have more than enough TX battery reserve for the planned number of flights.

#3 Always check main flight pack voltage before flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Yesterday I went to fly my new trex 450 pro, while dark outside. On take off the heli rolled over completely left. My ailerons got physically switched (and one reversed too, I don't know how) in my build. So my right correction on take off became left and it all went downhill. It sucked. But last night I repaired it, so I went to fly it at noon today, my dang tx battery needed charging (a spektrum so it wouldn't shut up)...

I'm just frustrated and needed to vent. In 15 min my tx will be done and I can fly my mcpx. I need to get a LIPO tx battery!
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
#1 After a new build or rebuild, always check control (and throttle) directions on the bench.

#2 Always make sure you have more than enough TX battery reserve for the planned number of flights.

#3 Always check main flight pack voltage before flight.
I'm was good on 1 out of 3 of those .

Number 2 kills me though, because that's how it happened to me but in the proccess of checking it I found out it was dead
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
a perfect day, light wind, temps in the 50s.....a day to be thankful

I got in quite a few paks in the yard while cooking our Thanksgiving meal, got my EXI450 Pro fixed up, she is flying pretty nicely 6 months after her tragic crash. Made 3 flights, tweaking the swash level, got the tail almost set up, tomorrow a couple of paks and she should be dailed in Weather is supposed to get crappy so I hope I get enough to finish setting up the tail.

Next, I pulled out my EXI500, I am putting a copterX 3G1000 FBL controller on her. Once she it flying good on FBL I am going to install this into a air wolfe fuse, this was last years Christmas present and I am hoping to have this flying by this Christmas

Hope folks are having a great Thanksgiving and getting some air
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:36 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Three flights this morning in great, cool, still air and blue skies with a bit of cloud, in a deserted park. Forced myself to do a few backwards circuits on each battery. It's all too easy to lapse into just flying the moves you're comfortable with.

Going to the gymn tomorrow to try to work off the turkey dinner. Hope everyone had a great day!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
well, a mixed day.... my 450 Pro is flying pretty nice but it has a bobble, front to back...that means something tight in the head, or needs new dampers, or low headspeed. My headspeed is pretty fast so I might just take the head apart, lube it up again, and put it back together, so a few hours of work

My EXI500 with the new FBL head and CopterX 3X1000 controller flew AWSOME Maiden flight and the tail was solid, heli very controllable, a few circuits just gentle back and forth, getting toward 4 minutes and about 7 feet off the ground when POP!!!! and she did the lawn dart. I hit TH at the moment of the sound and honeslty, looks like limited damage. Looks like the culpret was one of the swash links, the rear sheared right off....apparently you need all three to fly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I haven't been flying a lot lately, just enough to maintain some familiarity with the controls, but this morning conditions at the Berkeley Marina were unusually calm and clear so I got eight batteries through the 450 SE and 500 ESP. Then the dog-ridden hordes became too many so I left with a couple of unused 6s batteries.

ewoodcox— very sorry to hear of your misfortune with the 500. Dare I suggest using Align link ends instead of brand X?
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
I haven't been flying a lot lately, just enough to maintain some familiarity with the controls, but this morning conditions at the Berkeley Marina were unusually calm and clear so I got eight batteries through the 450 SE and 500 ESP. Then the dog-ridden hordes became too many so I left with a couple of unused 6s batteries.
Wow, never realised folks ride dogs in CA!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Wow, never realised folks ride dogs in CA!
They don't; they clothe them, talk to them, buy every kind of toy and device for them, and inflict them upon grassy areas at parks, which the claws tear up and cost tens of thousands of dollars to restore, only be torn up again <end of rant>.

P.S.: The flybarred 450 seemed twitchy and hard to hover upside down in one place this morning, so I took off the blades and rotor head, re-leveled the swash, and put the see-saw arms as close to level as I could, then zeroed the pitch at mid-stick with the turnbuckle pitch links and pitch gauge. When I flew it a second time (couldn't resist going back out this afternoon to my Oakland flying spot) the tracking was dead on and it flew on rails, so the set-up had been far enough off to matter.

In the afternoon the sun was quite low and the geography positioned me so that the helicopter was in its own shadow most of the time. It was uniquely difficult to maintain orientation; I had to use sense the orientation from the position of the sticks. An interesting and somewhat nervous-making exercise.

BTW this is my first set of Edge blades. They seem a bit thicker than Align or Curtis Youngblood. I will try them for at least 20 batteries but so far I think I like CY better.
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Glad you all are getting some flying in. My 500 is grounded until Align main links for the DFC come in. The ALZrc ones developed a crack around one of the bearings after 20+ flights. My 450 is flying great. One of the guys trying to get me to tick tocs tighter almost had me put it in the ground, but when it tick and toced from 50 feet to a foot off the ground and I bailed out at the very last minute he said never mind your going to crash and blame me! I told him it didn't matter because if I crash I'm still going to blame you! lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
well, the weather has changed for the worse, we have an inch of snow and the wind is howling and it's time to get back to work. I have a paper to finish for work on Monday....but I would rather be working on helis

So far, I got the EXI450Pro flying half way decent, got the EXI500 ready for the next flight using a brand new swash I had in my parts bin, and upgraded my 450 V2 to a CopterX 3X1000 FBL controller. She is ready to test fly.

Anyway, I have lots of helis ready to test fly, a couple that fly great, a few more projects that are ready to get started. The short days of winter are paying off for getting work done on my helis next project, a four blade head on my 450 I plan on using for a scale fuse....going with a BO-105 with 4 blade head and raised tail.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,444 Posts
I got some flying in last night at the first night for the Mississauga In-door Location Fun-fly. M.I.L.F. for short. I didn't do a count but there had to be more than 20 flyers with everything from 3D planes to the Blade 130. I had about 7 or eight flights in on my mSR, 120SR, mCPX, and T-28. It was the first time I successfully flipped my mCPX as I have never been able to do so but give me a 450 and bigger, no problem. Flying the T-28 took a bit of getting used to, both for the size of area (the area split in two for planes and helis) and the height of the gym. I nose planted it a couple of times and had a few forced landings but after that, I was up and soaring with the eagles. The second flight with it was a blast, dodging 3D planes that seem to come out of nowhere. I had one collision with a single with 3D and I lost. No damage but was it ever funny to see mine knocked out of the air and the 3D was not even fazed. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
ewoodcox— I think we'll want to see pictures of the BO-105 as it takes shape.

Keyrigger + ewoodcox— Take a trip to California one of these Winters for some off-season flying!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
They don't; they clothe them, talk to them, buy every kind of toy and device for them, and inflict them upon grassy areas at parks, which the claws tear up and cost tens of thousands of dollars to restore, only be torn up again <end of rant>.

P.S.: The flybarred 450 seemed twitchy and hard to hover upside down in one place this morning, so I took off the blades and rotor head, re-leveled the swash, and put the see-saw arms as close to level as I could, then zeroed the pitch at mid-stick with the turnbuckle pitch links and pitch gauge. When I flew it a second time (couldn't resist going back out this afternoon to my Oakland flying spot) the tracking was dead on and it flew on rails, so the set-up had been far enough off to matter.

In the afternoon the sun was quite low and the geography positioned me so that the helicopter was in its own shadow most of the time. It was uniquely difficult to maintain orientation; I had to use sense the orientation from the position of the sticks. An interesting and somewhat nervous-making exercise.

BTW this is my first set of Edge blades. They seem a bit thicker than Align or Curtis Youngblood. I will try them for at least 20 batteries but so far I think I like CY better.
More than just Californians talk to their pets & dress them (I don't dress her). In fact you'd be surprised how much my pitbull understands. I think humans have evolved dogs way beyond what nature ever would have done mentally. In fact I've seen research that shows dogs show more human ability/traits than say a 2-3 year old child, or even a full grown chimp. If fact they might be more intelligent than say dolphins, based upon what we label intelligence as. I feel if we keep up with dogs as close human companions, one day they will develop even more human characteristics, and maybe develop human speech. Probably no time soon, and we'd probably accomplish this with medical science before evolution had a chance to anyway. I agree people are ridiculous with their dogs sometimes but they are far from just animals.

But you're right, a lot of hippy beach type Californians think it's ok not have their dogs leashed. It's like people here act like they're the only ones on the planet, then when something happens to or with the dog they wonder how....

I hear where you're coming from though.
Last edited by finguz; Nov 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM.