Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
what a great day, getting allot of work done but I snuck out for 2 450 paks, 2 250 paks, 2 mCPx paks....my thumbs feel like they are ready to keep going

Anyway, pretty much done with Christmas, in addition to the nano CPx and 130x I got a few lipos and some parts to fix my 450Pro. Looking forward to time off this Thanksgiving to finish up working my FBL 500 and cleaning out my shed so I can put my non-flying helis and airplanes up for winter It will be nice to be able to walk around my study again

Hope everyone is getting air!!!!
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:39 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,254 Posts
Awesome, got out today and got my 7.5 minute flight in, seems that my battery is draining quicker with these colder temps though. Brought her down and she had 3.80 per cell. A little low for my liking.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
3.8 resting right after a flight is great and they should last a very long time. True cooler weather really drops their performance and flying them cold is hard on them also. I do not fly if it is much below 50F and even then I prewarm my Lipolys to 80 to 85F using one of those 12V cooler / warmers.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: edited 33.8 to 3.8.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Funny you should mention this Charles. I was JUST reading about the improved performance of Lipos after heating them in a heating pad.

What type/brand 12v cooler/warmer do you use?

I'd like to find something really small that's easily transportable. I only need to heat 4 small 1s 200 and 2s 400mAh packs.

I was going to buy a small 10" round "Cozy Spot" hand warmer from Walgreens. It's like a mini heating pad with just an ON/OFF switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
33.8 resting right after a flight is great and they should last a very long time. True cooler weather reaaly drops their performance and flying them cold is hard on them also. I do not fly if it is much below 50F and even then I prewarm my Lipolys to 80 to 85F using one of those 12V cooler / warmers.

Charles
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
Approx. 7 " X 14" X 11" heigh hold 12 beverage cans pull about 1-1/2 A . it has a sholder strap. I had thought about makeing a rice bag to heat in the micro wave as many do but this cooler / warmer was just setting around. I picked it up at Fred's years ago for $30. All solid state except for the fan, came with an AC to 12V DC power supply and a car adapter.

Used it again this morning , had 6 3S 2200 in it and it was mostly empty. Lipoys warmed at home in it to 85 F and after about two hours( not powered) when last LiPoly was removed was still at 75F with ambient in the mid. fourties.

Did a quick Goggle and this one looks the same.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Roadpr...FQUFnQod8BMAuQ

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Ok thanks. That looks a little big to lug around.

FWIW, I used the heating pad to warm my small 1s and 2s packs today. To be honest, I didn't feel any improvement in power. In fact, if anything they felt less powerful. That said, it's still about 70 degrees in the gym where I fly. If I was in the golf dome where it's often 50-60 degees, I'm sure I would have seen a positive difference.
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Interesting you're talking about it - last year I experimented with HK's tire warmer. Also, I have added 3S Lipo alarm and used old, not good for helicopters 3S batteries to provide 12V for it. One (old) 3S battery would be able to work for about 10-15 minutes and it would take up to 20-30 minutes for another 2 3S or 1 6S battery to be heated up (all at freezing temperature). I used LiPo sack to keep everything in - that might not be the best insulator and next time I would probably find something to wrap the batteries up as well...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
What's the optimum temperature for Lipos? If it's around the 70f to 80f mark, maybe the simplest option is to put the packs in the airing cupboard or other suitable warm space overnight, then use a coolbox to keep them warm whilst transporting them to the flying site.

I drive to my site most mornings, so I wonder if there would be a more effective way of using the engine heat of the car to help maintain heat other than driving with the heater all the way up.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
Quote:
What's the optimum temperature for Lipos?
125 to 140F but anything over 70F is OK. Below 60F is hard on them and 50F will do real damage most especialy if charged above 4.1 per cell or if pushed hard as most heli flyers tend to do. LiPolys tend to have some of the same trait as Pb batteries and many know how often cold temperature kill their car battery.

Simpliest way to warm them and keep them warm is use a rice bag which is merely a quanity of uncooked rice in a zip lock or cloth bag. Throw the rice bag in the micro wave for a minute or so on hi place in whatever carrier you prefer. A small insulated cooler would work great. I have the 12V heater / cooler so why not use it? True is I mainly purchased it to keep LiPolys cool during week end fun flys as temperatures in vehicle gets way to warm for them.

Back on subject of flying. Four more flights on my Blade 400 converted to ZYX FBL this morning. Total 450 class FBL flights since early Oct. when I converted the B400.

Blade 400 89
Blade 450 23
Trex 450 7

Total 119

Charles
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
125 to 140F but anything over 70F is OK. Below 60F is hard on them and 50F will do real damage most especialy if charged above 4.1 per cell or if pushed hard as most heli flyers tend to do. LiPolys tend to have some of the same trait as Pb batteries and many know how often cold temperature kill their car battery.
Wow, that high? These last few days, my packs have been about 85f after light aero on the 4s 450, in ambient of around 50 - 60f.

Quote:
Simpliest way to warm them and keep them warm is use a rice bag which is merely a quanity of uncooked rice in a zip lock or cloth bag. Throw the rice bag in the micro wave for a minute or so on hi place in whatever carrier you prefer. A small insulated cooler would work great. I have the 12V heater / cooler so why not use it? True is I mainly purchased it to keep LiPolys cool during week end fun flys as temperatures in vehicle gets way to warm for them.
Now that sounds pretty simple, so I will try warmed and cool batteries in my 450 if my Superbrain data-logging ESC ever shows up, see if I can see any difference in the flight data logs.

Quote:
Back on subject of flying. Four more flights on my Blade 400 converted to ZYX FBL this morning. Total 450 class FBL flights since early Oct. when I converted the B400.

Blade 400 89
Blade 450 23
Trex 450 7

Total 119

Charles
How does the Blade compare to the Trex? To me, the Blade looks a little fragile, and the controls a bit less direct than, say, a 450 pro, but I believe it's a lighter heli, which should help it. Blade also use a forked tail control arm, which I prefer to the single-sided types.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
All three weigh 22-1/2 oz. give or take half an ounce.. All all different motors,FBL heads ESCs and BECs but same Align 3G baldes and Align 500 landing gears.

To me the Blade 450 feels the best overall however I am more comfortable flying the
B400 due to having it for 4 years and I have many spars for it. Last two times I stuffed it I had all required parts on hand and spares box is still full.

I really have not flown the Trex enough to give it a fair easement , having the tail drive gear (front vertical one) strip right after a front flip during my sixth flight with it did not make me real happy. I still do not really like that gear mesh. It has a touch of play (backlash) where as my Blades have none and fact is I have never stripped any Blade tail drive gear period even with around 20 crashes over the years.

Charles
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:49 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Yesterday I went to fly my new trex 450 pro, while dark outside. On take off the heli rolled over completely left. My ailerons got physically switched (and one reversed too, I don't know how) in my build. So my right correction on take off became left and it all went downhill. It sucked. But last night I repaired it, so I went to fly it at noon today, my dang tx battery needed charging (a spektrum so it wouldn't shut up)...

I'm just frustrated and needed to vent. In 15 min my tx will be done and I can fly my mcpx. I need to get a LIPO tx battery!
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
After flying today I decided to find out what the clicking was on my 450 when it slowed down. Come to find both bearings that fit the vertical gear for the tt were shot. I have only flown it about 100 times sense it started making the click click sound lol!

It must be a sign when all of your stuff starts wearing out instead of crashing and breaking.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:20 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2004
109 Posts
I went out today, did 4 batts in my hk450pro, managed some inverted hover (I'm learning). I was windy, and the tail servo got hot, had to let it cool before the 4th batt. I got a hk450TT FBL coming - cant wait, when its going will have a backup at least. I feel a massive crash coming. (havn't crashed in a year!). My hk450 is on the origional everything, a year old!. Even the mems 250 gyro is still going.(just).
2StrokeMatty is offline Find More Posts by 2StrokeMatty
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2004
109 Posts
My sticker on my motor peeled - I thought I'd done a main gear till I checked it out, peeled it off, back up again. It's amazing how much noise a tiny sticker can make!.
2StrokeMatty is offline Find More Posts by 2StrokeMatty