HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
My ,my.

My ZYX with HS 65MGs on cyclic and HS 5084 MG works great as does the Copter X 1000 with HS 5062MGs cyclic and Align DS420 on tail;.

There are many threads comparing the different FBL units. All are liked by some msome are liked by a few and non are liked by all.

Fact is that a FBL controller that would have cost $300 3 years ago can be purchased for less than $80 today.

Six years ago I paid $20 plus for HS55 servos and saw them yesterday for $5.50 but started purchasing HTX 900 servos around 3 years ago for less than $4 each.

Hobbymate FBL unit is a clone / copy of the original Micro beatst x and is less than $80. It is set up using Trans. and pots on the unit. Tarot and Copter X do not have pots on them so need transmitter ,computer or programing box setup and tuning.

Computer sretup softwre that is great is free or you can make a donation. Programing box is around $35.

My first hand personal experience is that the Tail on my B400 is better than ever and the ZYX replaced a Sparton Gold gyro. I would stop flying helis if I had to go back to FB ones.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,741 Posts
The pots on the beast are for really fine tuning. Not used during set up. The beast actually makes all the calculations for you for set up. You just tell it what 6 degrees should look like and 11+ and - and that is about it. I have programmed the 3gx, tarot, copterx, beast, and HB800. Copterx with the program box was the most confusing I think, followed by the older computer tarot. The last tarot-s software was really nice.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,967 Posts
Goteck 9257 on 450 tail

Following the demise of my HK15158A on the tail of my HK450 Pro (belt) recently, I'm trying out the Goteck 9257.

Initial results are encouraging. On the servo tester, I'm seeing 0.06s @ 6v, and in contrast to the HK15158A, there's very little gear backlash. In the 15158A, the second gear seems to be a really loose fit on its spindle, causing most of the backlash.

I did three batts this morning with the Goteck, and I had to drop my TX tail gain from 40% to 35%. The tail felt pretty solid, and I'd say the Goteck is definitely a step up from the 15158A. I'm running it at 1520/333 and 6v, so time will tell how it stands up.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Following the demise of my HK15158A on the tail of my HK450 Pro (belt) recently, I'm trying out the Goteck 9257.

Initial results are encouraging. On the servo tester, I'm seeing 0.06s @ 6v, and in contrast to the HK15158A, there's very little gear backlash. In the 15158A, the second gear seems to be a really loose fit on its spindle, causing most of the backlash.

I did three batts this morning with the Goteck, and I had to drop my TX tail gain from 40% to 35%. The tail felt pretty solid, and I'd say the Goteck is definitely a step up from the 15158A. I'm running it at 1520/333 and 6v, so time will tell how it stands up.
NOoooooooooooooo! Don't do it. Seriously they're not a good servo. I have posted elsewhere here that I almost lost a model using one of these on the tail. It WILL let go with no notice at all. I found they don't tolerate 6v for extended periods and if you set the gyro for a digital servo it will die in pretty short order and cause a crash. Thinking back a few others commented how bad they were too.

Paul
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,967 Posts
Into the Valley of (tail servo) Death

Thanks for the warning Paul, but I'm going to fly it to the death, just to satisfy my curiosity! I've managed to save the 450 from several tail servo failures - the only killer one would be a stalled and shorted servo causing loss of radio. My HK450 Pro is almost a disposable heli, and I have another one waiting in the wings if the worst happens, and tons of spares.

I think that's what's holding me back from getting a 550 or 600. With the 450, I've been able to try out loads of blades, four different motors, several sorts of cyclic and tail servos, 3s and 4s setups, two sorts of FBL head, etc. It's just a great, affordable and fun research tool! Beenflying has made it worse recently by linking to the new Tarot thrust bearing 450 tail..... and of course there are DFC heads too. I think a future 550 would have to be for Sunday best.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Sounds like the zyx unit is pretty decent but not on par with the MB.

I still have a Trex250 and mini-Titan that are flybarred. Still thinking about selling one or the other though so not sure if I want to make the switch yet.

For indoors and front yard, my mCPX and 130X rock!

For the field, my Logo 500 and 600SE V-Bar rock.

Dave
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post

Dave
The ZYX is a brilliant little unit Dave. I've only flown one model with a Beast X and that was a Blade 300x I was setting up for a newby prospect member at our club. I have to say I as very impressed with it but in reality it's not "that" different to the ZYX to me. That said though I'm no stick banging 3D'er. It's probably a little like comparing apples to oranges regarding the price but for me the price difference doesn't justify the potential benefits of the MB.

Paul
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
949 Posts
I just put 2 packs threw my FBL Hausler 500 with the HB800(MB clone).
I am stell a n00b so I dont do much more then hover around But its good to
know that my heli well stay where I put it Hands free for upto 5 seconds before it starts to drift.

My 450 has the ZYX-S in it and it is just as stable and My 600 is supporting the CX3X1000.

I got a little adventures for my skill level today and was taking my Heli in full circles
around me while keeping it at about 25-35deg from tail in.
I know it's not a big deal to most you guys but it is to me because it lets me know I am advancing at my own pace
I'm glad to because even hovering at 100 feet up was getting kinda boring
I figure I can start to work on the circles because it well help me learn side in orientation won't it?
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Yes, put seven packs through my newly converted AS3X Sbach. Love that plane!!!!

Did one pack in 300x but noticed a bit of head wobble. I think the main shaft may have a slight bend. Gotta replace that.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I put quotes deliberately in wrong order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
The ZYX is a brilliant little unit Dave. I've only flown one model with a Beast X and that was a Blade 300x I was setting up for a newby prospect member at our club. I have to say I as very impressed with it but in reality it's not "that" different to the ZYX to me. That said though I'm no stick banging 3D'er. It's probably a little like comparing apples to oranges regarding the price but for me the price difference doesn't justify the potential benefits of the MB.

Paul
My experience with ZYX tells me that you can easily end up with hit or miss situation with ZYX. Unlike ÁBeast.

Not arguing about the price and value for money. Just simple fact that if you put ÁBeast on anything it will fly. Decently. To extend of hardware underneath it. ZYX requires many, ouside, parameters to be withing much smaller ranges to operate nicely. And even then there is much more limit what ZYX can do in comparison to more expensive counterparts. Tail dynamics is one - almost like comparing cheap $12 gyro to Spartan. Cheap one would fly nicely with good strong and fast tail servo set optimally. Never quite as good as Spartan, but for most mortal nicely. And Spartan will fly even bad, slower, sloppy tail good as well. I still remember hours spent trying to make my MT work with cheap gyro/tail servos. And how all of it has gone in one setup when I have put good tail gyro!

Quote:

I still have a Trex250 and mini-Titan that are flybarred. Still thinking about selling one or the other though so not sure if I want to make the switch yet.

For indoors and front yard, my mCPX and 130X rock!

For the field, my Logo 500 and 600SE V-Bar rock.

Dave
You are right about your statement. But even ZYX (on good setup) is far better than flybar! With smaller heli I would definitively go with ÁBeast. My 250 become completely different helicopter when I got ÁBeast on it. No matter of cheap/sloppy parts (head converted to be FBL and fiddly 250 tail) on my clone (HK250GT) - ÁBeast made a helicopter of it!

I've tried ZYX on MT with HXT900 and it worked. Worked fine for nice scale flying, a bit fuzzy on the edges and tail that was never quite right and did hold unless flown in wind (downwards backwards - and inverted ). Then I spent some time fiddling with ZYX setup and didn't get exactly to the same place I have on my 'main' MT with ÁBeast. And then - by some circumstances (failed 4g6 conversion to ÁBeast with AR7200BX) I moved that MT to ÁBeast and forgot about tinkering about heli. Exactly the same configuration got into the air rock stable on first go - no tuning. ZYX one would be stable, but still have very slight tendency of creeping to one side (trying to tip over if left unattended over period of time) which I never seen in any of my ÁBeast helis (2x Protos, 2xMT, 250). Also, cyclics stops were never crisp and I have already expressed what I see ZYX handling of helicopter tail. And ÁBeast price went down recently - you can get orginary ÁBeast for ú120 (brand new) and these days there are some on eBay as secondhand one. And these things do not wear out ...

BTW if you think to switch to one - go MT!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
I am flying a Tarot ZYX on a Blade 400 converted to FBL and a Copter x on a B 450 converted to FBL , my son has a ZYX on a B 450 FBL. All of these work great , John_NZ's computer softeware makes setup and tuning simple easy.

http://fbl.net.nz/
If one want a Minin Beast FBL controller clobe the the Hobbymate is a direct clone of the original V1 MB.

Blade is not the only game in town and some prefer these alternates over the Beast X.

Back on thread topic. Four more flights on mt B450 FBL with Copter X controller this morning.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,967 Posts
GoTeck 9257 - getting hot!

Just two batts this morning with the HK 450 Pro, and on the second one, had a bit of tail wag. This was just the fifth flight at 333Hz and 6v for the Goteck tail servo, and it was pretty warm, verging on hot when I landed. Could be on it's way out already, but I'll try reducing gain a bit more, and maybe running it at 4.8v.

When it dies, I'm hoping I can use the gears to make a slop-free HK15158A.

And Paul - I know you warned me!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Oct 19, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Bad math!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Well here's the thing... I still have an unused mini V-Bar but it's running fw 4.0 If I want to upgrade it to 5.3 (what I have on my Logos) then I have to pay to upgrade it. Since I already have it I guess I should use it instead of buying another system.

As far as which heli to put it on, I'm finally doing inverted forwards and almost ready to try inverted backwards on the little guys and I guess I'm a little worried about the weight of the MT. It's not quite as agile as the 250 so it will take a little more effort to recover from a wrong input.

I also need to buy a FBL head for either one.

-Dave

Quote:
And ÁBeast price went down recently - you can get orginary ÁBeast for ú120 (brand new) and these days there are some on eBay as secondhand one. And these things do not wear out ...

BTW if you think to switch to one - go MT!
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,967 Posts
Quote:
Well here's the thing... I still have an unused mini V-Bar but it's running fw 4.0 If I want to upgrade it to 5.3 (what I have on my Logos) then I have to pay to upgrade it.

-Dave
Wow, how much do they charge for the 5.3 fw upgrade? I hope the days of manufacturers being able to charge top dollar for their products and then charge for firmware updates are numbered! I think the cheap controllers might catch up in a couple or three generations.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
As we said - back to topic!

Got back from work just in time to have 4 batteries though my nano. Last battery's flips (pirouetting mostly) were hard as it got dark. Fortunately ground is wet and grass medium size - perfect for regular crashing. And at one point even tree eat my little heli. Fortunately managed to get it back by playing with throttle!

My 130X is grounded - last Sunday I broke servo and installed new yesterday. Just to find out that ESC on main board behaves strangely
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky