HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,262 Posts
Got some flying in today, but it was cold. My 500pro acted up again with the speed control cutting out about 150feet into a flip. Auto-ed OK didn't even break the landing gear.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:39 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
mhills51— that power failure must've given you a good shot of adrenaline!
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:55 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
I gingerly test-hovered my crashed & rebuilt (forgot how many times) EXI 450 Pro Carbon today. I've been three weeks waiting for parts since the last disaster - test flight with new Align FBL head and WK2702V rx, but let it get too far away and lost orientation. BANG!

The crash stripped the threads for the guide on the swash plate, and I don't trust the redesigned Align FBL linkage arms (not much thread for the ball link heads) - plus they are expensive. So I ordered a VCTRC FBL head and swash from China. It looks stout, felt stable while I hovered today. It has the old wire linkages with plenty of thread and uses the old FB main shaft. It went on easily and feels stable though I only hovered a few inches off the ground this afternoon.

Lesson learned - I installed my new Copter X tail box without pinning it to the boom because it came without a pin and I couldn't figure how to remove the pin from the broken EXI tail. The tail box spun 30 degrees on the boom during my test hover I found the solution in the forums - cut the (bent) tail boom off by the tail box, and push the pin out from the inside with a small screwdriver. Easy! My Copter X tail is now securely pinned.

So now I have a pretty scrambled heli = EXI frame and cyclic servos, Align motor and ESC, Walkera rx, Fusonic tail servo, Copter X tail, Super Skids and VCTRC rotor head. The test hover went OK. A few more adjustments and I can try flying. Or maybe just hover for a while. I'm getting gunshy of flying this one! I've mostly been flying the V120D02S and EasyStar II (plane). Fewer crashes, smaller penalties.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Last edited by mutski; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Here is my problem... The 6" connecting cable that goes from (each) of the 720 super duo balance ports has very stiff wire. There's a male connector on each end. One end that plugs into the charger is JST-XH. The other (that plugs into the balance board port) is smaller (with different pin spacing) and apparently some rare type of connector. The 8 wires/16 pins on the ends of the wire are crimped and very tiny so there's no way I'm going to just swap the wire. Due to the stiff wire (and possibly poor connectors) I want to find/make my own with really flexible silicone wire.

This connector is NOT JST or GP/KO or TP. It seems to be a secret though as no one has been able to tell me yet. I have about had it with Hyperion chargers and will never buy one again.

It's not just this one... I had the 0615 duo and after a year I started having a similar problem. It was replaced with this 720. They make good chargers but sub-par connectors/wires.

The issue here is that I get "Output connection errors" when 1 or more of the cells starts having intermittent contact. I have a brand new set of wires and am running the latest firmware (beta, about to be released to the public).

Dave

ps, nice shot of the Logo in the air.

pps, I flew my new 130x yesterday. Flies pretty good and flips on a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Charger don't use the same connectors. It's just the JST or KO have been winning the plug wars. The second most popular and may be what is on your pack is the Korean or TP/thunderpower. You just need to find a adapter. Here is a pic of both side by side. Use to need to get adapters all the time because you never knew what was going to come on the pack
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:56 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,262 Posts
Is this the cable your needing? http://compare.ebay.com/like/3604915...Types&var=sbar
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:39 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
That's the cable I need to REPLACE. I have 2 originals and 2 brand new ones. I still get the errors (due to their poor quality/stiff wire) so I'm trying to source the connector that plugs into the balance board. Then make my own with super flexible silicone wire. I have a few leads from others so I'm going to try there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:40 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Flew my Blade 130x once today kinda nasty day today hope tomorrow be nicer
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:31 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
didnt fly my heli today, was a plankin day i flew this instead. just a lil 30 cc size but man what a smooth flier!
Nute is offline Find More Posts by Nute
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:19 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
I've been flying the 130x lately, I love this bird that I can fly in front of my apartment but really disappointed the quality, crashed the first one last Friday from a failed elevator servo in mid air (70th flight), I bought a new one next day, did all the recommended mods from Helifreak sticky. The 2nd 130x crashed in the 10th flight, the C gear pop off in flight.

Crashed video:
130x crash (1 min 38 sec)
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Been thinking about getting one of these ... hmm!
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:43 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,262 Posts
I have a futaba radio and a Devo so I will be getting the 120 this winter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:15 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,262 Posts
Just put the CC from the 500 on the computer and somehow the current sensitivity got changed to very sensitive and the cut off to Hard I went ahead and updated it, cleared the log and changed those back. Also upon closer inspection I did manage to crack the front landing gear
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:12 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Been thinking about getting one of these ... hmm!
Advice? Stop thinking and get one!

Fly it over (higher?) grass and you won't have any issues crashing it constantly. Also, I got GensAce (2S 450mAh) batteries (less than 3 here, in comparison to 15 for original ones), made an adapter for micro deans and use them instead.

When you strip A gear, replace it with metal and... well I haven't done anything else with it - but beat the crap of out of it! Almost better than simulator!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
put 6 more flights on my FBl B450 today thats 76 flights now, since went FBl loving it.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,262 Posts
Got the 500 back up today. Seems to be working again. Also flew the 450 around trying to stay inverted all the time. Didn't crash, but had some close calls.
RCG Plus Member