HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Another 3GX bits the dust. Sorry had to go there. Not much to setting up the beast tho 0, 6, +11, -11, no binding
LOL. Definitively. The best part is that I did it earlier for that guy's younger brother. He came one Saturday late morning and we routed wires (the longest task), did set up of it on the bench (exactly as you explained) and he left around 1pm. Weather was quite bad and we hoped that we'll give it a go on Sunday. But Sunday was bad as well and by next weekend he maiden it himself and only thing he needed to do (after first minute of a flight) was to adjust tail gyro gain. Rest of it was set here on the bench - kind of 'blindly' (but with pitch gauge ) and that was all it was needed for him to happily fly ever after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
clicky— if you will tell us all about the 130X. I am tempted to get one to practise inverted orientations but understand there are some glitches to overcome.
Exactly as Paul said. Except I was 'lucky' - I took my out of box and flew. Didn't pay any attention to wobbles (yes I did add extra o rings from spare swash I bought couple of months later - a few really bad crashes or just a bad luck); nor I did anything with the tail.

There are people who do end with some issues but if it doesn't fly straight out of box - HH does accept returns without much fuss (actually hobby shops should do!).

Anyway - mCP-X taught me how to fly inverted. And how to be really gentle with collective (otherwise it would just do piro of death). 130X is slightly less robust (first nose in crash broke the canopy - but with bit of a sellotape I am still flying it! ), but also it is far more forgiving on botched moves (read lots of collective to pull you out of a mess). I think it would teach me some '3D' moves (i.e. half piro flips, piro flips and other moves that go with them). Unlike with mCP-X 130X can do continuous piro flips...

Learning inverted with it is going to be miles easier than with 'real' helicopter where first crash is going to set you back $20+ plus 2-3 hours of rebuild and dent in a confidence. The worse that can happen - happened four times to me with 130X - is stripped gear. I had two 'A' gear stripped (well one - other is on the way out - but I ordered metal gear) and two 'C' gears ('A' is from main shaft to TT, 'B' on TT there, 'C' on TT on tail and 'D' on tail shaft). All of it relatively cheap and all of it after quite a few crashes! Most of crashes (especially over taller grass) were - straight the blades and fly! Even really hard nose down on indoor session finished without visible issues. (Second one where I tried aileron tic/tocs of the ground ended up in blade holder break, but I really asked for it ).

Since you can get Gens Ace batteries (2S 450mAh) for price of mCP-X ones (1S 300mAh) (here around £2.40 - £3 per battery) - flying it is really cheap.

I was thinking that if I ever for any reason end up without any of my helicopters and need to get things from the scratch - I would firstly buy 130X again and then Protos.
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
I don't know if this works with all of them, but I had a club member tell me after you plug in your beast turn the gain up until the gyro lights G and a few clicks more. Sounds kinda crazy but I have done that on mine (500) and my two beast clones (450's). It so far has work perfect. Worth a try!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:14 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Yep managed to do a complete inverted piro circle with my Logo today. Practiced hard on the sim went up high & done it...happy days
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
wtg! I put the green geared 450 in the ground. I think the second HB800 may have a problem. First the tail went and right as I was leveling off to kill power the rest of the head went nuts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Green gear??? Pic!!
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
got 8 packs in on my hausler 500 trying to do some video capturing at the stunt lot with some friends.
Here is one of the video's
Had the camera (GoPro 2) mounted on the side and the mount they supplied was bad so video is shaky
I got a HDkeychain coming today so Next time should be better I hope
sky video at lot (5 min 14 sec)
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:41 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Shame about the little shakes, but it's great to see bike stunts without them being on "the dumbest stuff on wheels" and the like! It always amazes me what people can do, looks like there are some good riders there!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Nano (nCP-X)

I just had two batteries (actually 1 & 1/2) through nCP-X (Nano)...

I still cannot take smile from my face! It is like tiny simulator! Head speed is quite low and helicopter is paperweight (slightly breeze down my garden affects it like 20mph gusts affect MT)... But... It is so easy to fly! I managed a few piro flips (and a few half piro flips) within just one battery in my garden with my lousy 3D skills. Unlike mCP-X it allows full collective to 'fetch' half piro flips easily - on the spot with no tail blow outs. It flips forward and back in same, tight spot. It rolls in line. With bit of courage (and my wife out of house) I would be able to do all of it indoors - in my living room! (Let's make it next month's resolution - to tape flips, rolls, half piro flips and at least first half of a piro flip in my living room - if helicopter survives that long)

Only worry I have about that helicopter is that if sudden gust of wind gets it - I won't be able to find it ever again! LOL Also, due to size, it is a bit squirely - I can already see it teaching me discipline for keeping heli on the spot (or about)... Definitively worth £85!!! I'm interested to see how long batteries are going to survive!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Dumb crash!

On my second flight this morning with the 450, the ESC went into low voltage cutoff. Wish it could be set to just pulse the power like the ACE ESC on my old MT used to do! Didn't have enough time to get any energy into the blades to auto in, so ended up with a heavy landing and tip over in recently cut grass. Looks like I more or less got away with it - just one servo gear stripped (DS410 plastic gear)

I was concerned that the pack had failed, but when I put the tester on it, it was showing 3.54v per cell - so in fact I'd simply flown on a pack that had not been charged since my last session. Since I always fly 6 minutes timed, I now know that a 9:30 flight will extract 1750MAH out of my Gens ACE 4s 1800 MAH pack......
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
That's why I always put in a 30 second cushion to my timer so that don't happen. Also your not in a panic to get it on the ground or caught in the middle of a tricky maneuver.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
That's why I always put in a 30 second cushion to my timer so that don't happen. Also your not in a panic to get it on the ground or caught in the middle of a tricky maneuver.
Yes, but in effect, my 6 minutes is giving me a 3 minute buffer normally - it's just when I forget to charge the pack that it becomes a problem! I was actually quite relieved to find out it was a charging foul up, rather than failure of my favourite Gens Ace packs!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Might want to do as I do and make a voltage check of the pack part of your pre-flight ritual (every time). I check right before I connect the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Yes, but in effect, my 6 minutes is giving me a 3 minute buffer normally - it's just when I forget to charge the pack that it becomes a problem! I was actually quite relieved to find out it was a charging foul up, rather than failure of my favourite Gens Ace packs!
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:33 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
The 500 airwolf flew great today except for the great older align swash play. The heavy fuse seemed to amplify it.

500 Airwolf (3 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
Might want to do as I do and make a voltage check of the pack part of your pre-flight ritual (every time). I check right before I connect the pack.
That is what I do as well after I had my brand new align 500e the same bird that is now in the airwolf on it's third flight went down because I reused a pack. Didn't do any damage, but it was a eye opener
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:53 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,420 Posts
This is almost a record for me this season. I got four flights in with my AS350, five with my Jet Ranger, and three with my Logo 500. I got the tail to settle down a bit more on the Logo and may still need to drop it a point or two but it flew like a champ. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger