SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,868 Posts
Oh yes! I' e had a cast on my hand for two weeks now (tore tendon in my thumb). I was pretty sure i couldnt fly rc's till it was off - another four weeks
But i decided to try anyway. I figured id sacrifice my UMX beast 3D in the name of science and sanity. No problem !! I couldnt whack it around like a drunken pilot, but i could do basic stuff and have fun.
Now i am happy that the next four weeks i can at least have a little fun. Didnt want to try wih my 300x - figured id play it safe and stuck withthe mig 15 & B3D.

I also picked up a used flyzone FW190 from a local guy last night. Hoping to maiden that this weekend!!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I just can't go back to my SE's after flying the PRO's. I just feel a lack of control and I have three of them just sitting around. I just hope we have another RC flee market this year.
+1. I bought a pro and loved it so much I bought a second one so I could have a FB and an FBL version. The wife thinks I'm nuts.............................................. ...................She's probably right!
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I just can't go back to my SE's after flying the PRO's. I just feel a lack of control and I have three of them just sitting around. I just hope we have another RC flee market this year.
Do you feel like giving me a good deal on one of them?
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
+1. I bought a pro and loved it so much I bought a second one so I could have a FB and an FBL version. The wife thinks I'm nuts.............................................. ...................She's probably right!
I'm just waiting for my fbl controller to show up for my second one.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Do you feel like giving me a good deal on one of them?
Well that is just the problem, shipping would probably cost just as much. This one has only been flown 5 times. It has the copterx head and tail. It's also all HK electrics. It just needs a RX and it's ready to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Here is my T-rex 500 in the air at Cesar Chavez Park by the Berkeley Marina:

Zen's New T-rex 500 (3 min 37 sec)

mhills: thanks for showing your CopterX here. I am unfamiliar with 'CopterX electrics'. I don't suppose you have any 450's with Hitech 65mg servos on cyclic?

Here is estarter flying his brushless MCPX in a fair wind at the Berkeley Marina:

estarter flies his MCPX (Like he stole it!) (3 min 37 sec)
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Yes I do, but it has a Pro FB Head on it
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:59 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Thanks for mentioning it. Nothing wrong with a Pro head, I would think. I even have one. However I have started building another 450 SE out of the pile of parts in the basement workshop.

I started with a black CF EXI frame that I bought N.I.P. in some past deal. It was amusing to discover one bad main bearing and two bad screws. All screws are phillips, so I have changed about a third of them to hex as I work on it. Tonight I put in my remaining good Hitec 65mg's (from two crashed 450 SE's) and a Scorpion 1222-8. Next comes the main drive so I can put the swash on the main shaft and get the servo arms and swash level. It is nice to know that, starting absolutely from scratch, I will have a good-flying 450 by next week.

I did two flights with the 500; getting a bit more comfortable with it, including inverted hovering, rolls, backward loops.
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Sounds great!! I got some flights in, but my 500pro blades are starting to bother me. It looks like they are developing stress cracks around the root. These are G3 blades but they are a much older stock way before the 500pro's and 3000 head speed, but the $30 price tag pulled me in. Not much better luck with my 450. The wear of early crashing with the program your self zyx gyro's has paid it's price on the swash. I can move it from side to side a 1/8th of a inch. This is making my flips come out irregular.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
There were many more cars in the parking lot of my morning flying park than usual and a lot of people standing around on the high ground. (I even thought about not-flying!) Turned out they were waiting for the 747 carrying the Space Shuttle to fly by, which it did 20 minutes after I arrived! Very cool and two people said they would e-mail me some shots of it!

Two little kids got all fascinated by the T-500, so I flew some demonstration flights in near-perfect conditions. I think one of the photogs took some shots of the heli as well so if I'm lucky I'll post them here.
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Lucky you! I so wanted to maiden my other 450pro, but the winds were 15 to 25. Did that stop meNO. I got lucky and they slowed right after I powered up. All set up great, but did have some tail swing. I noticed that the spacers I had connecting the tail blade holders to the slider must be the wrong size and I was right. I have some of the new align ones that don't use the brass inserts in the mail. That should take care of that.

As soon as I walked back to the park bench the wind started back up lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
couple of paks felt great to fly....

My $120 EXI450 & DX6i came in today, the DX6i seems to work pretty well, the 450 was mildly rough but not to bad, definetly worth $30 it came mostly complete but I can see why this poor fellow had troubles, 3 different cyclic servos, a crappy tail servo....probably no way to make this thing fly properily set up like this. Anyhow, I have new digital servos, a GY401 gyro, a 3700 kV/RPM motor. She should fly nice, first, fix wifeys mCPx, then make this guy fly

Hope everyone is getting air!!!!
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Power of learning

Nice pics Zen! Just realised that I might be able to join you in a flight or two in two years time (when we decide to visit San Francisco area)...

BTW I am still fascinated with the way we are learning. Starting in September I decided to try to go to sim at least 4-5 times a week for at least 15 minutes doing only things I don't know/want to learn... And after three weeks I tried them out... On Wednesday and yesterday, for instance with my 130X (another word for sim ) for only a few batteries all the stuff I was trying out/practising worked out perfectly well! (not all - but new - not tried with 'real' helicopter before)

For instance - I was able to do some kind of piro flip only from tail in, start as back flip and then in inverted in nose-in (still started as a back flip). Now I am able to do inverted tail in back flip (to start piro flip from) and it looks even better as I deliberately prolong negative collective and let helicopter fly away from me until rotor disc gets to 90 to ground and then slowly slide back to upright letting it slide towards me (pirouetting all the time). Also, I tried to go into piro flip (as some tutorials said) with forward flip (for all you mode 2 flies - different position to start 'stirring' ) and it worked perfectly as well. Both from upright to inverted tail in, nose in or from inverted to upright nose or tail in.

All of it in CW pirouettes. Now I started CCW pirouetting piro flips as well - and, at least on sim, I am getting close to 50% of attempts without much crashes...

Also, 'ordinary' piro flips I learnt (upright tail in, back flip to inverted nose in, back flip to upright tail in) are coming up together, too. I was able to do them continuously (4+ times) with 130X (all over the place and quite high/far, but still). Most of the time they stay in reasonable place (and only rarely astray).

And... all of it, let me repeat, by just practising them every day (4-5 times a week) for 10 minutes for 2 1/2 weeks... I didn't believe I would be able to learn them!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
It was so windy and cold, I managed one flight with a brand new 250 I setup for a customer and one with my Logo 500. The wind in my eyes nearly caused me to crash the 250 as I was almost in tears, but I was able to pull it out. Once the wind dropped to about 15, I took the 500 up and it was a workout but enjoyable. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,491 Posts
Talk about pulling out. My 500 batteries are finally showing signs of not being high enough C rated. On the E or HK 25C are more than great, but the 500pro just puts to much strain on them. After about a minute in the air it sounds like a go into idle 1 from 2. They are not puffing just running into internal resistance I think.

Anyway I got three packs in my 450 dfc pro, One pack in the new tarot dfc pro (using cheap blades) and three packs in the 500pro.
RCG Plus Member