HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
nice looking fleet KCinNC

I swapped another GP750 on my EXI500 plastic, tail still has a tinny wag on occassion but the heli flies nice. I put 3 paks just flying around the yard...unfortunatly, the rest of the day is a work day so I will be grouned.

hope everyone is getting air this weekend
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:30 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
I can, now, officially say that I started learning piro flips! Why? Easily - the more I try to do them, worse then end up! Last were really horribly all over the place

But, slow (and faster), controlled inverted pirouettes are slowly coming together - I can, now, do them sustainably - even with Protos if high enough!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:14 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
Good stuff clicky! My friend started off learning half piro flips to inverted, and then slowely learned the last half. Now he's almost at the point where he can do two or three full piro flips smoothly and in one area. Its exciting to see and it sounds fricken cool!
chronic is offline Find More Posts by chronic
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
Piro flips are easier to learn if you start each flip at the same point each time. I start when it's tail in then start the 2nd half tail in aswell. This helps you get the cyclic timing correct aswell.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
I just flew 3 packs with my new Spartan Quark. first pack I worked on the tail setup and trim. then flew the best 2 packs of my career. the precision and predictability are outstanding.

after bad experiences with two previous gyros (GY240 and GP780), the Spartan finally feels right. I actually think I finally flew the real thing as well as I can fly on the simulator. much more smooth and coordinated, a totally different comfort level.

It was so good, I rushed home and fast-charged two of my packs, went back again just before dusk. Two remarks:

#1 the spartan made the BA what it should've been from the beginning. Best heli purchase I ever made!
#2 damn it's hard to see the heli attitude in the dusk light. At times, the heli looked just like a flat black shadow against the evening sky.

Because of the light thing, I kept the second flight more conservative, but boy it's so easy to roll and flip if the tail stays in place.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:31 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
2 paks in my TREX250 this morning
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:14 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Yesterday I rushed to a flying field at the end of the day, took out T-rex 450 SE #1, did the Scorpion motor lube thing and tri-flowed the mechanics. Wind dropped to nil while I did the pre-flight ... then I discovered I'd left the Tx switched on for a couple of days! Deep breaths, take a few minutes to appreciate the grass and light, then back home to charge the DX7 and hope I get some time to fly today.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:45 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
Zen, install a bright LED light to remind you the Tx is ON, I have fogotten to turn off the Tx,drained the battery couple time.

Took the mcpx on a business trip, had 3 flights this moring and lost the main gear, picked up the bird after crash, usually the main gear get push down, this time it is gone, is there any hobby store around Reno, NV area carry mCPX parts?
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:29 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I do a control check prior to take off and a TX off check at the end.

Hope you got some air Zen
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:21 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
I got one pack through my 450 and proved to myself that it is too small for me to fly at the club and also that the transmitter is not part of the trouble I am having with the 550. Man, that 450 gets far away much too fast, lol. However, I was able to do some troubleshooting on my 550EFL and may have found the reason for the crash last weekend and the two near crashes this afternoon. The ESC seems to be the part at fault and NOT the 3G system. I had disabled the internal BEC and went to an external BEC so I took it out of the system and put it back to the internal BEC. I had thought that it may have been the external BEC as I got a warning from my Skookum software about a brownout, bad ESC, or bad servos so I changed back to the internal BEC. When I spooled up, the initial hop in the air was great but suddenly the heli started to get a bit squirrely and I put it down with no crash. I had one other flight before (extremely short one) and it was also a heart stopper so I had to get to the bottom of it. I bought the full Skookum data viewer program so I can have a look at the two files for the flights to see what was happening at the receiver level. I now have a Phoenix HX 85 installed with the external BEC back in the system. There is a very small possibility of it being the remote Spektrum RX but there would be some indication of a signal loss that may have caused a system reset but the light has been on solid the entire time. I am getting a second remote RX to go along with this first one and that should eliminate any shadowing that may be happening at distance as the crash and these weird actions have all taken place with the heli no further away than 75 feet. At least I can fly my other helis with no worry about the TX being part of the mix. Hope tomorrow is a LOT better, lol. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:02 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Yesterday I rushed to a flying field at the end of the day, took out T-rex 450 SE #1, did the Scorpion motor lube thing and tri-flowed the mechanics. Wind dropped to nil while I did the pre-flight ... then I discovered I'd left the Tx switched on for a couple of days! Deep breaths, take a few minutes to appreciate the grass and light, then back home to charge the DX7 and hope I get some time to fly today.
I do sympathize with you. And you were much luckier than I was: mine DX7 packed up when I switched it on when got to the field. And, even worse was that time I didn't rush to fly the moment I got there, but just took time to enjoy it as day was fantastic and I was in the mood to fly. Just to pack up all the things back and go home And, from when I've seen so far - that DX7 is properly fried (it is not only a power supply/regulator as I really hoped)

BTW it looks like that you're not the first one to forget his TX switched on - software in DX8 starts yelling at you if you leave it alone for too long. All the beepers, vibrations and lights flash at you... I found it out only this Sunday when decided to move blade grips from 425mm Protos to 470mm one on the field (I stripped thread in blade grip for the link ball)
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Last edited by clicky; Aug 02, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:17 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Yeah, I hardly ever do this, which obviously is not synonymous with 'never'.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:59 AM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Put a pack through my Sr and went inverted for the first time.
Couple of clumsy flips and a lot of circuits, loving the idea of 3-d.
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:04 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Well no more flying until Ircha, Going to save the helis.

Will be leaving at 7am on thursday with Ben WOOT!
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:44 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
wish I could go to IRCHA, have lots of fun...

Been flying a pak or two everyday, great weather so I am missing allot of good flying. Flew a pak this morning in my TREX250....what a awsome flier

Hope folks are flying more than me