HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
6 Tanks through the Raptor. Finally stopped raining around here but it was HOT! When it's hot or pouring rain it sure makes me glad I havent sold the msr.
beevous80002 is offline Find More Posts by beevous80002
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Finally, nice, warm, sunny day and I have time to fly my helicopters! Took all (good ones) with charged batteries(*) and made a little event out of it. Decided just to enjoy the time out and flying them.

And it was worth: attempted and succeeded my first piro flips(**). Proper ones - all through them. They were high and I gained quite a lot of height (with stretched Protos) and they were, kind of "all over the place" but I didn't do two halves of a piro flip - I did it through from upright to inverted to upright! And they weren't 'half' piro flips either! Later on I tried and did them with Mini Titan, too! WOW!

(*) - Took too many batteries - I had only 3 flights with MT, 3 with Protos(es), 2 with mCP-X and one with 250 - but rest of batteries pulled my shoulder down! With all the batteries I could have 6-7 more Protos flights, another 6-8 Mini Titan, 6 more 250 and 6 more mCP-X ones... That would be almost whole day just flying!

(**) I thought that half of a piro flip is a 'half piro flip' and it wasn't. I don't know how to do half piro flips - just half of a piro flip!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:35 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Good stuff Clicky . I can sense your self-satisfaction from here. Sure wish I could wrap my brain around one but it ain’t gonna’ happen (not in this lifetime) and not likely the next…
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Wind, wind, and more wind here in the S.F. Bay Area. But I flew a few batteries just to do it at the end of the day. Crashed a foamie high-wing fixie too. Those things have to be set up and I'm not geared that way yet.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:57 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Thanks! You're right and the reason is that I started quite from the same place you're saying you're in. It took me four years to get here and I never, ever, thought I would be able to do it!

Three years ago (or so) when I learned how to hover (and fly) nose-in I said to my self "That's it! I'm happy, now. Everything else is going to be a bonus" (as even that was quite hard for me). Only two years ago I started really 'learning' how to fly - took time to get nice and slow pirouettes and only recently, when I got a grip on them, things started opening up for me. Even then, I didn't even thing of piro flips - they looked too complex and quite unreachable for me. I don't know exactly why I decided to give them a try (on a sim, at 40% of speed) and it wasn't a full year ago.

In the mean time I decided to (re)learn to fly inverted and have been practicing for almost a year now and this time trying to do some inverted piros + got mCP-X - a real life simulator which I almost don't know how to fly upright... and when I put these two together...

BTW I'm a bit older to learn things as quickly as kids can do and was never good in learning physical skills (some people called me 'clumsy' even though I never understood why! ), so, all of this ended up as a quite a warm feeling bonus after that nose-in hovering!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:49 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
I flew 3 times today, got fed up after every flight my ESC kept falling off my 700. I was alone at the field and had no zip ties.

Going to try again later lol
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
I had 3 test flights in the converted FBL HDX500 with Align 500 head and 3g v2.1, some how the tail is wagging slowly back and forth, I have used the gyro gain from 25% to 80% (DX8 gyro menu) and can not get rid of the wagging, I have tried the gyro vibration attenuation kit and also reduced the rudder lock gain to 50% from 70% in the USB link menu. Besides the annoying tail wagging, the heli flys great, flips and rolls are 2~3 times faster than the flybar one.

Some one please help or post a link how to get rid of the tail wagging. The heli has no vibration, logged 50+ flights with the same Futaba gy401 and s9257 servo, no tail slop and was rock solid with flybar.
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I had, recently, problem with tail wagging on my 425mm Protos - and it turn out that tail slider wasn't moving smoothly on the tail assembly. The moment I sprayed some silicone grease over it - it become smooth and wagging stopped. You can easily try it by taking the tail rod of servo or tail arm and try it by hand...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I dreamt that clicky was on telly last night lol. He was sat on a setee with another guy & was being interviewed.

Clicky, that's brilliant mate BTW it will be about 4yrs ago around sept/oct ish that you were starting to do boggy loops & inverted hovering with your MT. I know this as i still have the video you sent me.

I began piro flips with just half (upright to inverted) but they were not looking great as the timing wasn't good enough. Only after i got more consistency & a lot lower doing full piro flips that my half piro flips became neater & i can do them much more confidently now. At the moment i'm learning piro tic tocs on the sim, they take the pish & i'm kindoff getting a better uinderstanding of the stick timing required. I actually tried one for real the other week but it wasn't to pretty looking LOL.

My Logo is grounded at the minute & i'm lucky i stripped it for a service as the elevator servo wire has gone bad & you can move the wire & the servo stops. It could have been disastrous had i not noticed. I hope JR will repair it.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I have experienced tail wagging with T-rex 450 SE #2 and have been through the tail mechanics several times. Today I realized that it is occurring when the Scorpion motor RPM's drop and increase periodically. I love the power from that motor but if it can't maintain steady revolutions it will have to go.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
I have experienced tail wagging with T-rex 450 SE #2 and have been through the tail mechanics several times. Today I realized that it is occurring when the Scorpion motor RPM's drop and increase periodically. I love the power from that motor but if it can't maintain steady revolutions it will have to go.
Surely its the ESC causing a change in RPM's?
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:47 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I guess so, though there are threads in various forums about Scorpions not running right with Innov8tive ESC's set to exact timing specs. This one used to run evenly. I have a 40 amp ESC to try with it that I will install when I get a chance.

BTW: does anyone know which timing of the Align 35 amp ESC corresponds to the recommendation by Innov8tive Designs? I have mine set to mid-timing but it occurs to me that low timing might be closer. I'll give it a try if no one has any experience.
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Jul 25, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy View Post
Clicky, that's brilliant mate BTW it will be about 4yrs ago around sept/oct ish that you were starting to do boggy loops & inverted hovering with your MT. I know this as i still have the video you sent me.
4 years ago I started hovering inverted? WOW ... and I still can't do it properly! I have to dig that video out from somewhere... And put it next to yours - if you remember which one I'm talking about

Quote:
I began piro flips with just half (upright to inverted) but they were not looking great as the timing wasn't good enough. Only after i got more consistency & a lot lower doing full piro flips that my half piro flips became neater & i can do them much more confidently now. At the moment i'm learning piro tic tocs on the sim, they take the pish & i'm kindoff getting a better uinderstanding of the stick timing required. I actually tried one for real the other week but it wasn't to pretty looking LOL.
Still - you have attempted it! That counts! I'm years away from even getting courage to try on the sim...

Quote:
My Logo is grounded at the minute & i'm lucky i stripped it for a service as the elevator servo wire has gone bad & you can move the wire & the servo stops. It could have been disastrous had i not noticed. I hope JR will repair it.
That's lucky! Good you didn't push to fly it without checking everything. Can't you just fix the bad wire?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
I had, recently, problem with tail wagging on my 425mm Protos - and it turn out that tail slider wasn't moving smoothly on the tail assembly. The moment I sprayed some silicone grease over it - it become smooth and wagging stopped. You can easily try it by taking the tail rod of servo or tail arm and try it by hand...
I talked to my buddy this morning on the phone and said the same thing. I'll try to spray it with grease as soon as I get home. Once I fix that problem, I pull the gyro and head and start the FBL upgrade.

Got a pak in my TREX500 this morning before work. Looks like I will be working all night Oh well, it pays for the addiction then it keeps me away from it
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky
Thanks! You're right and the reason is that I started quite from the same place you're saying you're in. It took me four years to get here and I never, ever, thought I would be able to do it!

Three years ago (or so) when I learned how to hover (and fly) nose-in I said to my self "That's it! I'm happy, now. Everything else is going to be a bonus" (as even that was quite hard for me). Only two years ago I started really 'learning' how to fly - took time to get nice and slow pirouettes and only recently, when I got a grip on them, things started opening up for me. Even then, I didn't even thing of piro flips - they looked too complex and quite unreachable for me. I don't know exactly why I decided to give them a try (on a sim, at 40% of speed) and it wasn't a full year ago.

In the mean time I decided to (re)learn to fly inverted and have been practicing for almost a year now and this time trying to do some inverted piros + got mCP-X - a real life simulator which I almost don't know how to fly upright... and when I put these two together...

BTW I'm a bit older to learn things as quickly as kids can do and was never good in learning physical skills (some people called me 'clumsy' even though I never understood why! ), so, all of this ended up as a quite a warm feeling bonus after that nose-in hovering!
Thanks for sharing. Nothing beats a good honest recollection of ones progress . One thing for certain, there are no shortcuts.
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up