HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:17 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
no flying today but purchased a used flybared trex 550. Will fly as i but will upgrade to flybarless soon. This is my first decent heli so should be good
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:27 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Clicky,

Sorry to hear about your TX woes. If you're looking at the DX8, make sure you do some research. There have been new bugs/issues found with that radio and/or DSM2-DSM-X compatibility.

Hopefully all the problems will get ironed out soon.

Dave
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:59 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Thanks Dave. Good you mentioned. Fortunately they have updatable software so everything is going to be fixed. Eventually. Hopefully! And I don't have DSM-X receivers. Yet. Hm...

I've, kind of, started disliking Walkera's 2801Pro over my Spektrum (now I've used it more). It is the same thing and I, usually, am not biased by brands or anything, but sticks do not feel the same as my DX7s... Maybe I'm just imagining it...

And, good thing is, that I'll try to fix my DX7 and have spare TX - to give to my kids to play with mSR and maybe even mCP-X!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:56 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,386 Posts
I just bought a new "non-bugged" DX8 to replace the existing one I have. I am returning the affected one to HH and then selling it to a friend of mine to replace his DX7. I did have two of my helicopters spin down for no reason and that, along with the gimbal issue, made me just buy a new one and not wait. It may take more than a month to sort the TX out and I have no desire to return to my DX6i unless there is no alternative. The new one is solid as a rock and all gymbals return to "0" when released and do not wander as you move the sticks. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymarkus View Post
Ed -- just maybe you should have answered a PM message I sent you -- You would have meet several nice folks today and maybe gotten some help with things -- sorry man I'm done reaching out to you to come fly -- fulton is not that far -- we used to travel farther to fly together :0)

Markus
Wow, I finally saw your PM, I never would have thought it took so little to make you upset....were you having a bad day? hope things are going better for you. Did I miss your offer to come to my flying field or was all your reaching out having me drive 40 miles to your field...no big deal, I'll make it to Fulton, I've actually dropped by the field several times this year and never saw you there. Please try to give me more than a few hours notice, I'm almost too busy to fly these days and that short fuse just doesn't work, as I recall, we used to plan at least a week in advance, let's try that in the future

Anyway, been pretty busy and I haven't flow much at all lately. Returned from the tropics and got terribly sick and I ended up in the hospital, just got out today and leave for Australia next week. When I get back I'll drop by Fulton, although the Constantia field is far superior since there are no trees for a mile in each direction and yearly membership is only $20 and the field is mine alone in the afternoon and most evenings

Today was my first day to fly in weeks, got a pak in my 450 Pro and another in the HK450. A bit rusty but it felt good...except for the bugs I'm not impressed with the GY520, I think I will set up rate mode, the instructions never discuss setting up rate mode, just centering the slider and fly, my TREX250 had a catastrophic failure trying to improve my tail performance and the tail on the 450 Pro doesn't hold well at all in hard pitch pumps and I have upped the gain to 95%.

In spite of my busy schedule, getting worse since my prolonged sickness, I'm going to make sure to sneak out for a few hours this weekend. My goal is to get every bird in my stable in the air. I'll bore you all with the details when it happens
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:23 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
ewoodcox— very sorry that you became so sick and glad you are returning to good health.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
I've, kind of, started disliking Walkera's 2801Pro over my Spektrum (now I've used it more). It is the same thing and I, usually, am not biased by brands or anything, but sticks do not feel the same as my DX7s... Maybe I'm just imagining it...
Same thing happened when I got a DX8, the WK sticks feel really sloppy and cheap compared to the Spektrum ones, so its not just you.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:42 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Same thing happened when I got a DX8, the WK sticks feel really sloppy and cheap compared to the Spektrum ones, so its not just you.
Oh, thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one.

I could have had DX8 yesterday, but my wife missed delivery (not her fault) and now I have to wait until tomorrow. As the earliest. And even can't complain about it. Eh... Why I have been spoiled with next day delivery as a standard option Where are the times you would order things and way two weeks or so for them to arrive. I'll remind myself of them by ordering some from Hobby King soon, but, still...

Also, I'm suspecting the MT setup of microbeast now as I can't flip it properly any more. I was thinking it was me, but more I think about it more I'm inclined to believe that something is from with the way I've set microbeast. Flips are so... flimsy - imprecise... So, mCP-X alike. I was thinking that it was my flying mCP-X a lot that caused it, but now, after a few days since I've flown it, I think it might be something else...

I want my precise, well defined, powerful helicopter back!

crash that made it this way!
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:08 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Full setup T-Rex 700E FBL will be here tomorrow! Woot! Going to be different flying a 2400.00 machine Oh well it wont change any of the flying
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:12 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
ewoodcox— very sorry that you became so sick and glad you are returning to good health.
thanks dawg, I appreciate it

One pak in the HK450, then the winds kicked up and been howling all night, then the clouds came in so no seeing the Aurora tonight.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:51 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,607 Posts
Lipos and airports

No flying today but I have another HK450 Pro to build. I left my other one back in the UK, to supplement the Trex 600N I keep over there...

When I took the 450 to the UK, I was a bit apprehensive about getting the lipos past the TSA, but, although they took a look at them, they were fine with it. I had taken the precaution of printing out the FAA regulations on the "Transport of Lithium Batteries in Carry-on and Checked Luggage" when flying out, but had no need to show it to any of the TSA people.

For my return trip, I just brought 2 of the 4 packs back, since I could find no UK equivalent of the FAA document, and it seems like you're often at the mercy of varying interpretations of the regulations. As it happened, it was a non-event. They didn't even ask to look at the contents of my carry-on bag when it went thru screening, so either they didn't see the lipos or they weren't bothered. I then came in thru Houston, and it was the same again. Maybe that was because I had distracted them by opting out of going thru the full-body scanner, and having a full pat-down instead.

So overall, I think it's encouraging that you can take lipos with you when you travel.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:19 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I've been flying from and back to UK with LiPos (usually 2 to 3 2200mAh 3S). At the beginning I was carrying enough first class stamps + large envelope to post them back in case they refuse them to passenger cabin (through the security), but never had a problem. At the beginning they were asking a question whats that and taking them away (to another machine next to them), brush them with something and then checked them with that machine and returned them to be without any trouble. Nowdays nobody does anything.

Anyway, I always tape deans and balancing leads with electrical tape. Just in case.

BTW I'm curious can you bring your transmitter with you in a hand luggage? And your helicopter? (that would be pushing the luck! )

What's the amount and size of LiPos you were carrying?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:44 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,607 Posts
hey Clicky, glad to hear you've been able to take your stuff with you.

I had my 450, TX and charger in my hard-case checked bag, and 4 x 3S1P 2250 lipos in my carry-on, in Ziploc bags with insulating tape on the bullet connectors.

I don't think there's anything to stop you having the TX in your carry-on bag - mine is just too full of all my other crap so it was more convenient for me to put the TX in my checked bag.

I do quite a bit of work in the UAE too, so my next step might be to see if I can take the heli out to the desert.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
Ewoodcox, sorry to hear you had a bit of a rough time there! Glad you're doing better! You're a good dude, I wont forget you helping me out that one time sending me an esky tx for nothing but shipping.

I am in love with my raptor! Today I did my highest auto rotation, which was almost a crash. I kind of got carried away and didn't really realize I was still on the collective as I was coming towards the field and it kind of got away from me. I had no idea what it was doing. Fortunately give it full neg and it comes into plain sight very fast! Hit th and came down hot!
Beautiful auto to end a scarey moment lol Haven't flipped this thing inverted yet. I'm kind of scared, its a very weak heli compared to any of my electrics. And this nitro thing is still new to me, I'm kind of scared it may lean out what I flip or something. I have a header tank... but it is screwing with me a bit.

Did a little inverted hovering with my trex 500 the other weekend. But I want to sell that thing. I want another big nitro, but a 50 at least.
chronic is offline Find More Posts by chronic
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:08 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,162 Posts
I got up at 5:30AM and flew 3 packs on my CP2. It's now raining lighly and rain is predicted all weekend so I am glad I decided to get my silly, heli-crack addicted a$$ out of bed to fly:-) I have to rebuild my 450 due to a mechanical mishap, and since it's supposed to rain all weekend I guess that is my project...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan