Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
I only put in one flight with my MD500E 250 but it was abruptly halted when I pulled a very tight turn and it settled under power. I only bent the flybar and broke both tail blades so the mechanical stuff was very light but the tail took its third breakage, sigh. Oh, two in one day, as my coat pocket caught the horizontal tail and ripped it off before I had even a chance to fly it. It also fell in my work truck and put the pitot tube back through the windsheild and the tip of one of the cable cutters broke off. Not a stellar day for my little bird.....sigh.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
lol I was thinking about getting a small heli, but it seems like they are prone to problems(due to pilot error, mostly)
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 21, 2011, 05:13 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,582 Posts
2 flights yesterday after work on the 450 and I had my first component "failure", well not really a failure but I noticed the heli making a funny noise so landed and discovered that the tail drive gear has moved downwards on it's shaft and is now fouling the bearings. Rotating the head by hand I can feel it bind and make a funny scraping sort of noise so I'll change it before it lets go completely.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old May 21, 2011, 09:40 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yep, it is cold in Washington. And usually windy too. I have passed the 100 mark today on outdoor flights in the last 3 weeks. Most of them on my 6s upgrade on the 450. Flew 9 batts today alone since the weather was nice. All of them over 7 to 8 minutes. Lots of earlier flights were in terrible windy and rainy conditions. I am dodging trees and bushes also but have gotten it up a couple hundred feet and flown about the neighborhood the last two days. Looks like it is time to find a good flying park and stay safe.
What model 450 and which motor/ESC?
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old May 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
yesterday.. i fly..

Because i used to my heli that need some trick to get it forward faster ( go reverse a bit than straight forward.. make it like pendulum swing)

i did that on my friend's coax
and blade hitting each other
and the heli fall down..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old May 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
No.
I finished installing my INO Lab digital metal gear cyclic servos, Hobby Wing Platinum 40amp esc, and the gorgeous Hyperion HS2221 motor just in time for the tornadoes to roll in.

micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old May 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
micronut— nice heli. Is that an RC Tek?
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
Thanks Glen. Yep.
It's the RC Tek Diablo 450 all carbon fiber and CNC heli in my avatar. Wires are still a mess in that photo, but they are nicely tucked away now.

BTW, I did finally find a Scorpion 2221-8, but I really like the quality of the Hyperion, so I'm going to give it a shot first and do a little side by side review of the two.
The Hyperion HS motors are developed in cooperation with their partner, Scorpion, so they should be very similar in performance.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Last edited by micronut; May 22, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:18 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I like the fact that the motor is 'upside down' relative to the T-rex 450's, putting the center of mass closer to the rotor disk.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I only put in one flight with my MD500E 250 but it was abruptly halted when I pulled a very tight turn and it settled under power. I only bent the flybar and broke both tail blades so the mechanical stuff was very light but the tail took its third breakage, sigh. Oh, two in one day, as my coat pocket caught the horizontal tail and ripped it off before I had even a chance to fly it. It also fell in my work truck and put the pitot tube back through the windsheild and the tip of one of the cable cutters broke off. Not a stellar day for my little bird.....sigh.

Don
I flew my little 4F200 in the Airwolf 250 body this morning, keeping an eye out for any stalls. Whenever I notice it slowing down I nose it downward. No problems and nice flight. I used the 3S 11.1 volt 3200 mAH battery in the V450D01 for a nice long 8 minute flight; yesterday I flew 10 minutes but I don't want to continue to stress out the battery because of the added weight of the full fuselage. Perfect windless mornings here in South Florida as long as you make it out to the field around 7:15 AM...after 8:AM the strong breeze takes over.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old May 22, 2011, 08:04 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
My stall was not recoverable as I was too close to the ground. The damage was very minor and it was a really nice flight prior to that but it was out in front of the LHS which was the real shame of it all. I put it all back together and flew it yesterday and one of the harmonic resonations that occurs during spin-up is now gone. A niggle that I have not figured out a solution to is the vibration of the "T" tail but I guess aside from wires, there is not much I can do to eliminate them except to speed through the spool-up. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old May 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
I didn't know hyperion got their motors from scorpion now? wow..
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old May 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
What model 450 and which motor/ESC?
It pretty much is a custom. It is now based on the CNC carbonfibre bodied B400 since I like the inverted motor on top to move weight towards the center axis over my Trex Cf 450.
It has a custom handwound Gobrushless Scorp 2221-2010 motor using a higher grade of copper wire. Voltz 6s 1300ma 35c batts. CC Ice50 Esc. Microheli gear. Handfabbed Cf boom using T500 cf supports. Sonix tail w/Cf 500 blades. Cf fins. Mks Ds95i tail servo. Kds 900 gyro. Hs65mg cyclics. Flymentor 3D. 335mm Cf main blades.Trex 450 head using the 4mm feathering shaft and Cf flybar paddles. I am also now using Trex600 skids to do a few things more effectively. They allow the flymentor to initialize on the grass using a bubble level to level more effectively. They also keep the tail rotor off the grass and are almost bulletproof tough in a wreck. This is kind of my version of a perfect trainer.
I just started my 700e project yesterday also and am hoping to have it up this summer sometime. The white powder all over the frame came from stripping gears doing pumps. I had not cleaned it off yet.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; May 23, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
Flew my EXI 450 pro for a bit today. Went through some marginal packs in normal mode to get warmed up. Put in a high discharge pack and flipped to idle up about 6 feet off the ground.

Lost power almost instantly much to my surprise but was able to auto down softly.

Lesson of the day: don't be lazy and torque the motor mount bolts with a ball end driver while the front servos are in place! The motor slid on me when the power went up. I was very lucky it didn't strip a gear or cause a nasty crash.

I'll be taking the servos out and torquing the motor better with a regular driver today
fizzer82 is offline Find More Posts by fizzer82
Old May 26, 2011, 11:19 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,208 Posts
Darnit! I am fairly sure I totalled my heli today. I lost sight of it going around a tree and tried to throttle it up but the last I saw of it was it going down in an unalterable nose dive it would not pull out of. So today I searched through 3 acres of properties, tomorrow I will give it another shot. But for now it is MIA. Man I am mad at myself! Crummy weather for days on end and I had a small window to fly in. I was on pain meds and did just about everything wrong.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis