HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2011, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
Flew V450D01 (Army Camo Fuselage) this morning 6 packs in a 5 to 10 MPH wind; I figured I needed the practice of preparing to keep the nose down when turning a circle into the wind. I finally put in the 3200 mAH 3S battery figuring I could bypass the timer over the set 5.5 minute mark but I was wrong; the heli began to die about 2.5 minutes in flight. I almost crashed trying to land, but though the heli was a good distance away I could see it landed hard lopsided but no blade strike. There was no damage but I learned an important lesson; ALWAYS meter test all batteries before a flight no matter how sure you are that you charged them. Now I carry my little meter into the field with me.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 11:35 AM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
I probably should ewoodcox, but one problem is the lady friend and I dont have a very large place and once I get that raptor in there, my hobby shelf IE the top of the fish aquarium is going to be pretty packed.

The 450 is an easy one to resolve too, 450's are every where, so if I regret it, wont be a big deal to buy another down the road

I was up until 3am last night programming my servos, reseting my head and setting up my gyro on the 500. Hopefully today I can actually fly this guy. Wind or rain, bring it on!!
chronic is offline Find More Posts by chronic
Old May 01, 2011, 10:43 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
Wow crappy day, potentiometer in my tail servo decided to forget how to center my servo and suddenly my 500 lost tail authority and spun out on me. Luckily I wasn't too high and saved it.

Then a friend and I were trying to figure a way to balance charge this battery off my charger, and we accidently discovered it wasn't going to work once it sparked and killed my charger.

Boo
Old May 01, 2011, 11:31 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
IMHO, I would not trust a $13 gyro on a 500 size heli. That size is starting to get into lethal territory. You'll also end up spending a LOT more in repair costs due to a cheap gyro. I'd spend a bit more and get a better unit.

A REAL GY401 can be had for $70 or less used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
I had 4 flights with the 500 this arvo, should've only had 3 . I haven't flow it in 6 months due to the gyro (hk-401b) being a PITA and not working right (either wags like crazy or drifts like mad) so today I decided I was going to fix it come hell or high water . CLIP
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old May 02, 2011, 02:13 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
IMHO, I would not trust a $13 gyro on a 500 size heli. That size is starting to get into lethal territory. You'll also end up spending a LOT more in repair costs due to a cheap gyro. I'd spend a bit more and get a better unit.

Yeah I know, I was just getting back into helis and wanted to make sure it was actually for me without dumping lots of $$ into it. After about 3 flights I immediately ordered a 600 class machine and have been having a blast with that ever since
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old May 02, 2011, 02:57 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post

I think you overstate the risks involved. There are no moving parts in the GA250, and it's a very small, lightweight unit. I would contrast it with the sort of heavy mechanical gyros we used to use on (at the time very expensive) nitro helis in the old days. Those gyros had lots of moving parts with far more opportunities for failure. The only risk in using the cheap GA250 is that your tail performance may not be as precise as what you might get from a big name big money gyro.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old May 02, 2011, 05:17 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I flew today. Into a tree. I need a new plane. All that's left: rx/esc/motor and 1 servo.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 02, 2011, 02:47 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I think you overstate the risks ... The only risk in using the cheap GA250 is that your tail performance may not be as precise as what you might get from a big name big money gyro.
That is the risk, and why take it, since used GY401's are available quite reasonably?
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 02, 2011, 02:54 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
That is the risk, and why take it, since used GY401's are available quite reasonably?
But how do you know the used GY401 hasnt been crashed and abused to a state that could be far worse than the assan which is probably fine anyway.
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old May 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
DT (Dart Tin) 550E, mCPX BL
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
THe last couple of days have been awesome... Saturday I maidened my T-Rex clone (Gootch Helios 450SE V2) and heard the sound of a real heli once again at least a year after my Inno EXP crashed. Yesterday I showed her off to most of my neighbors in our circle. Life is good with a mini cp heli!
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
Old May 02, 2011, 07:41 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
But how do you know the used GY401 hasnt been crashed and abused to a state that could be far worse than the assan which is probably fine anyway.
This kid hasn't flown a helicopter with a decent gyro.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 02, 2011, 10:26 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
For me, any heli that can hurt someone gets a GY401 at a minimum. That's just me.

I got my new EXI swash installed on my beat to heck 450 clone and I'm back in the pink. Now for a few numbers since I keep track. I got around 470 flights on that swash give or take. At 5 minutes per that's like 40 hours of flying.. Next to the frame and belt it was the longest wearing part on that 450. It was a Flasher swash btw. The cheap exi mg cyclics are only giving me about 80-100 flights before they get shaky, not bad I figure for $7 and my crash rate. anyone have any ideas for some much longer living cyclics I'm about ready since I'm back to a dozen fights a day from now tilll July.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old May 02, 2011, 10:34 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
I had my 500 lose it infront of me today while diagnosing tail issues and rotor till the ground... can tell you that scared the hell out of me!!

These things deserve respect and some better parts than the worlds cheapest gyro.
Old May 02, 2011, 10:37 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Over the past couple of days, I put near 25 flights on my mCPX and today, I put one on my SR, one on my scale 250SE and 5 on my stock 250SE. I also did one each on my two planks, but that was during cooling off of the motors on my heli's, lol. I can't believe how much I am flying the mCPX and how it is improving my flying on all other heli's. Tonight, I was flying in the underground and lost sight of it for a split second as it came toward a concrete pillar and couldn't pull it out in time. I hit at near full speed with the only damage being a lost link and a spun gear. It took longer to dig out the spare link than it did to fix the heli. What a home run they have made with this heli. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old May 02, 2011, 11:02 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
Yeah that thing is almost better than a simulator!