SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:57 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy View Post
Yes, had a brilliant day flying with Laurence. Here's one of my Logo flights
Fantastic! I really enjoyed watching you flying it! That inverted backward is something I really would like to try with a real heli, but I'm still miles from it... Well done P4ddy!

BTW - next are CW piros and CW backward flying right? (same as CCW for me! LOL)
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:30 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
296 Posts
I flew 3 packs on my CX450 today at the local park. I call this my bad luck heli as I cant seem to go past 30 flights without a crash. My other heli is an EXI 450 pro that I have flown over 100-200 times without mishap. In anycase I was on my last pack today and I was out about 100 feet and about 6 feet off the deck when suddenly my heli just locked out and dropped. Supprisingly it landed on the skids and all appeared well. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and fired her up. The heli seemed to spin-up fine and at take-off seemed like it would flip over as the pitch servo was dead. It didnt even make a grinding sound. Its a cheap hxt900 so I will just put a new one in. Hopefully none of the shafts got bent. I never really had a hard landing and didnt understand why anyone would, but now I know.

I am going to set up the failsafe pretty much setting the pitch to 100% so that I can get the comfiest crash. By the way I am using a PCM setup not 2.4ghz. I never had this issue before and no one was flying nearby so am unsure why this would have happened.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:24 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck986 View Post
I am going to set up the failsafe pretty much setting the pitch to 100% so that I can get the comfiest crash. By the way I am using a PCM setup not 2.4ghz. I never had this issue before and no one was flying nearby so am unsure why this would have happened.
Why would that give a comfier crash though? Firstly, you don't know the orientation when you crash, what if the bird is inverted? Secondly the rpm drops really fast with full pitch. Actually, if youre level you are likely to do something that I often do when trying to autorotate: the heli shoots up, up, up and suddenly no RPM, drop like a stone. That makes it a worse crash
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:24 PM
fly to win. win to fly.
clovis, NM
Joined Mar 2008
426 Posts
yes i did! hey guys, on youtube i will be documenting my flight skills and progress over the next few years i hope... and will be posting at least every week, i did 2 videos today and are currently uploading. i invite you to join in on my progress as i make my way into 3D. oh my youtube username is ben14kansas if you care to watch.
dog chaser is offline Find More Posts by dog chaser
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:18 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Mar 2005
281 Posts
Hey Zen where do you fly in Berkeley? I am looking for somewhere to fly indoor and outdoor helis.

Rich
FlyHeli? is offline Find More Posts by FlyHeli?
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:51 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Hi Rich—

I fly in parks, ranging from the Berkeley Marina to Bushrod park in Oakland to five or six other places, depending on whether there are people, dogs, or kids or not. My place is kind of big (12 foot ceiling) so I flew here when I flew a co-axial and FP micro heli's indoors.

Give me a PM with your contact info if you want to do some flying with me, maybe estarter and one or two other RC heli addicts.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:50 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,464 Posts
Three packs this morning through my (now repaired) Gaui 200. I have now replaced the MKS GY290 gyro with a Spartan DS760, Ino Lab D201HB combo. It's my first Spartan having been a long time fan of the Futaba GY401 and I'm astounded by how well it holds (and ease of set up), even on such a tiny heli, it makes the GY401 on my T-Rex 250 look like an ancient GWS PG01.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:08 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
had several really good flights this week, something in side seems to have clicked, been struggling with nose in hovering and inverted tail in hovering for ages, but now i can do it, been doing side on rolls and flips as well, start side in roll to inverted then forward flip back to upright ending up sideways on facing the other way,about 10 - 15 feet up, really enjoying the flying at the minute.i seem to be getting better, not as good as the last few videos in this thread, but getting there.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:14 PM
fly to win. win to fly.
clovis, NM
Joined Mar 2008
426 Posts
hey guys, i just found a 15 tooth pinion laying around and was thinking about putting it on my 450. i was wondering if any of you run a 15t and what kind of headspeed you get and if that is safe. i am using an align 430l 3550kv motor.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:28 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
A 15 tooth pinion is too many teeth for that motor. Better is a 12-tooth with the mid-stick throttle in idle up anywhere from 85% - 100% for a head speed at zero pitch at or slightly above 3,000 rpm. A lot of guys run a flat 100% curve in idle up.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:54 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,071 Posts
I had a good flight today two Batts my 400 is in a UH-1 Fus
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:40 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
short video of a little of my flying from the other day, when i started trying these flips/rolls. sorry for quality took on phone.

IMG 0144 (1 min 56 sec)
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:35 PM
fly to win. win to fly.
clovis, NM
Joined Mar 2008
426 Posts
ok guys, i have a story to tell you. so i was out flying my 450, just puttin around because of the wind. and a bee landed on my left hand... so i freak out because im afraid of bees so i fling my hand away to get it off and end up doing a full collective punchout, then dropped it down to 0. i also hit left roll really hard and was sideways about 100ft up and the motor stopping because i wasnt in idle up. i was able to get the blades spinning enough before i hit the ground and managed to land semi good in a hurry. i am super proud of myself for not only saving it, that was the closest thing to being inverted i have ever done! haha
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:43 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
... i started trying these flips/rolls.
Nice work.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:52 PM
USA, PA
Joined Jan 2008
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog chaser View Post
ok guys, i have a story to tell you. so i was out flying my 450, just puttin around because of the wind. and a bee landed on my left hand... so i freak out because im afraid of bees so i fling my hand away to get it off and end up doing a full collective punchout, then dropped it down to 0. i also hit left roll really hard and was sideways about 100ft up and the motor stopping because i wasnt in idle up. i was able to get the blades spinning enough before i hit the ground and managed to land semi good in a hurry. i am super proud of myself for not only saving it, that was the closest thing to being inverted i have ever done! haha
My last crash was caused by a bee.
It landed on my glasses right in front of my eye.
Then proceeded to crawl up the lense and wiggle towards the inside between my eye brow and glasses.

I got the heli within about 20 feet of me before the panic set in and planted it into the ground in idle up. The ordeal only took like 2 seconds to happen........
jstcriusen is offline Find More Posts by jstcriusen