HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:13 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider-man View Post
After having my second crash in a week due to loss of orientation, I've started wondering how not to crash!

How do you fly around without falling out the sky
Slow, low circles with the rotor disc level until you do it automatically without thinking. Fly at walking speed instead of relying on fixed wing-like stability during fast forward flight.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:44 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,248 Posts
Quote:
After having my second crash in a week due to loss of orientation, I've started wondering how not to crash!

How do you fly around without falling out the sky when you were planning on a peaceful bank?? I don't seem to have too much trouble just zooming up and down in front of me, but when I start doing circles the trouble starts.

Am I just getting too high for a 450? bad colour on canopy - blue+black? Due for a check up?

Cheers...
A bright canopy does help. dont go to high/far away in the beginning.
Orange sticker on the tailfin is good to see at medium/long distance. The lights dont help much, I just put them on for the cool looks.
From far away you just have to remember where the nose is and try to keep orientation with the heli's silhouette and direction.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3059860
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
Trying to fly on the cheap!
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Quote:

How do you fly around without falling out the sky when you were planning on a peaceful bank?? I don't seem to have too much trouble just zooming up and down in front of me, but when I start doing circles the trouble starts.

Am I just getting too high for a 450? bad colour on canopy - blue+black? Due for a check up?

Cheers...
And don't forget the simulator! (Free crashes! )
mosca.br is offline Find More Posts by mosca.br
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Hover in all orientations. Try very slow piros on the spot. I found them help a lot!
clicky is online now Find More Posts by clicky
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
A bright canopy does help. dont go to high/far away in the beginning.
Orange sticker on the tailfin is good to see at medium/long distance. The lights dont help much, I just put them on for the cool looks.
From far away you just have to remember where the nose is and try to keep orientation with the heli's silhouette and direction.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3059860
Very cool, do you run the LEDs off of the RX or directly from the lipo? I might do that with my 500 and put the lights on channel 7
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Very cool, do you run the LEDs off of the RX or directly from the lipo? I might do that with my 500 and put the lights on channel 7
I took a plug from an old 3.5" floppy-drive and used that to connect to the lipo charge plug. The green LEDs are driven by the gyro itself.

Btw, I did fly today. it was so nice just some more figure 8's.
I noticed i still add cyclic when taking corners, but if i bank it and only use rudder and pitch i go around the bend much quicker and not gain altitude.

Also tried to flip dualrates off but im not ready for the full potential of the heli yet. Lots to learn
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
I flew a lot today, and i repaired a lot today. I love flying helis but the setup and maintenance is getting me down big time. It seems about a 1:1 ratio as of late.

What am I to expect after this learning curve crash fest is over as far as the number of typical 3D flights till an overhaul of major parts like servos, belt, and bearings is needed?

I ask because I'm looking at my five year old Depron foamy here that has hundreds of hours on it and I've only changed props and fixed hanger rash. I have a feeling those days are not a safe option in this mid budget 450 class.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
I went an entire year without a real crash, now I've had two in one week! Just had two people quit on helis in my area, due to the frustration...

Thanks for the advice for my orientation problems.

Now just a general question... what is the name/part No. of the bearing in the blade grips of the T-rex 450 V2, my Flasher's are starting to rumble?
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:05 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
To all on RCGroups, You never know what you mean to me, And how important you've come to be. We share good stories of flying and crashing each and everyday. Our lives entwine and live around RC Helis. Thats why I send each and everyone this valentine.

HAHAHAHA, This ones for Steve C
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
I went an entire year without a real crash, now I've had two in one week! Just had two people quit on helis in my area, due to the frustration...

Thanks for the advice for my orientation problems.

Now just a general question... what is the name/part No. of the bearing in the blade grips of the T-rex 450 V2, my Flasher's are starting to rumble?
Here is the TREX450 V2 manual
http://www.heliguy.com/i/Trex450SE-V2Manual_ebook.pdf

you need 4x 3x8x4mm AGNH1154
AND 2x 3x6x2.5mm AGNH1155

best check the partnumbers...
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:50 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D View Post
To all on RCGroups, You never know what you mean to me, And how important you've come to be. We share good stories of flying and crashing each and everyday. Our lives entwine and live around RC Helis. Thats why I send each and everyone this valentine.

HAHAHAHA, This ones for Steve C
I have noooooo idea what your talking about
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:45 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
I finally found the problem I've been chasing for a week on one of my two 450's. It seemed the pitch would just change without reason. Up or down didn't matter but obviously down was not the best and resulted in two rebuilds. Yea, ten pack of canopies.

I was starting to suspect the rx because it seemed like all three cyclics were on the move together. The bird was mushy also. I'd land and move the cyclic, it moved no problem but was now not level on the return like it was a minute before. I had just zeroed and leveled it and was not going to do that again and again.

Another issue was random blade tracking.

So I had to sip a cold brew and ponder this one,(in the warm 80F sunshine). On the fourth cold one and third solar dog it hit me. I moved the servos by hand powered off, the gears moved, I plugged in the battery and tried again. Two were solid but the pitch servo I could move with force. I had stripped the plastic control horn splines on the metal output shaft. wow, a first for me in 30 years.

One new arm later and it's a solid flier again. Hopefully the work bench can gather some dust for a while. I was really getting bummed on the rebuild sessions and why one heli flew great and the other didn't. Now I know.

Now, if I could figure out why my scorpion esc (45A) is randomly cutting to 50% power. I can tie it down and watt meter it at 270w till LVC which is way above my sport fly style, but actually fly it and it may quit in ten seconds, two minutes, or never.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
66tbird, that is a strange pt to strip on a servo for real.

That sucks Zen, getting attacked in yr own yard ! how long do they say for FULL recovery ?

batusaix, very nice flying dude, your skills are growing fasst. I see your also practicing lots of aileron moves, & l loved the move @ 3.30 .

FlyBarLess
Man there just a ship load of FBL units out or coming out soon, been reading up a them for the past few weeks. Still never flown one as yet but hoping to one day.
Steve_C, hows ur FBL going ? how does it feel from the old FB set up ? and what FBL unit do you use ?
Do u still have a FB heli ?
Any other "did u fly 2day" posse used FBL ? apart from speedy & tex.

Man i want to try one but just can't afford it. The Total-G sounds really good, Gov built in, Futaba & Speki satellite compatible. And that micro beast coming out is so cheap COMPARED to most but i hope its a good unit. Align 3G hmm, seems to have potential but needs work.

Yeah i flew the 450 today, 1st flights in nine days .

Peace
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut View Post
... That sucks Zen, getting attacked in yr own yard ! how long do they say for FULL recovery ? ...
Thanks. Full recovery may mean reasonable ranges of motion and relatively pain free. I'm hoping to have better pronation and supination than I do now (palms down and up) to be able to hold a Tx comfortably....
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut View Post
Steve_C, hows ur FBL going ? how does it feel from the old FB set up ? and what FBL unit do you use ?
Do u still have a FB heli ?
Any other "did u fly 2day" posse used FBL ? apart from speedy & tex.
Peace
I now just have one heli, the 450 Sport. I find having more than one of any one size is not really needed for me and just go big on the one I build. Pricing a T500 next and it will also be FBL

The FBL (mini V-Bar) flies REALLY nice! to me much more locked in and tracks great in FF and backwards circuits (I'm a sport flyer not 3D) What's funny is, after a PC software update and me asking questions on the forums, MrMel on the V-Bar thread said my setup is wrong and I'm an idiot (not really) Seems I made a setup error and double corrected for sensor directions. Will make the fix and see how much of a difference it makes. Expecting a big improvement.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C