HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I sometimes go flying then pack up after 1-2 or even half a pack because i just cannot be bothered & cannot get myself locked into the heli so we become one.

Quote:
watched his Align 250 go out of control and land hard when a screw came out of a washout arm.

Someone been forgetting the locktite & pre flight checks??
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:28 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
It happens to the best of us.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:38 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,564 Posts
my canopy blended in with the trees 60 yards out..i lost orientation....
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:28 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
The gods were frowning. No warning. Did you not make a sacrifice? Just a simple one will do:

-Send an un-needed part to someone in need for free or postage only
-Swap out an old but un-damaged or un-bent part for a new one
-Top off a fully-charged battery that's been sitting a few days (that you plan to fly with that day)
-Check all frame screws for firmness/loctite
-Re-check your perfect pitch range
-Reset your mesh whether it needs it or not
-Boot up your heli in TH at 50% pitch so your blade holder thingy will attach with no difficulty or servo moveage
-Spray the belt with slicone (the gods love this; silicone spray is Heli God holy water)
-Make sure your skid caps are symmetrical (3 won't do; take one off)
-Stuff your protruding wires into the canopy (very important)
-Range check (they don't really care about this one; just a CYA)

The Heli Gods are there. They WILL smite thee. A little penitence goes a long way.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:31 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack View Post
The gods were frowning. No warning. Did you not make a sacrifice? Just a simple one will do:

-Send an un-needed part to someone in need for free or postage only
-Swap out an old but un-damaged or un-bent part for a new one
-Top off a fully-charged battery that's been sitting a few days (that you plan to fly with that day)
-Check all frame screws for firmness/loctite
-Re-check your perfect pitch range
-Reset your mesh whether it needs it or not
-Boot up your heli in TH at 50% pitch so your blade holder thingy will attach with no difficulty or servo moveage
-Spray the belt with slicone (the gods love this; silicone spray is Heli God holy water)
-Make sure your skid caps are symmetrical (3 won't do; take one off)
-Stuff your protruding wires into the canopy (very important)
-Range check (they don't really care about this one; just a CYA)

The Heli Gods are there. They WILL smite thee. A little penitence goes a long way.
-Spray the belt with slicone (the gods love this; silicone spray is Heli God holy water) - how true!

Also, if it still gives you an unease - especially flying first, maiden flight or flying for the first time on particular field you can do one of the following (depending how radical or fundamental are you):

a) take your long abandoned, not-flying-anymore, stripped-for-parts, old heli, put it ceremoniously to the middle of the field and stomp on it
b) instead of whole heli - do it with canopy
c) instead of new canopy - do it with already crashed with canopy
d) break survived blade from the pair involved in crash (as extension to Make sure your skid caps are symmetrical (3 won't do; take one off)) - you can chant while doing so and you can take blade up to the sky - but that's not necessary
e) you can bury broken or bent part as a token to gods

And, as shizack said - use silicone oil!

PS Silicone oil is not needed for one heli, as much as I know - MT's tail belt. Never had any problems or heard anyone had problems with it. Still silicone oil on the tail slider always pleases gods, especially lesser gods of 'Tail Holding', 'Gyro Power' and 'Protector of Fast (Tail) Servos'

PPS I didn't do any of these of my recent maiden flight of HK250GT. I crashed it. It crashed on its own. Actually gods taught me a lesson - I've lost tail control and I had to crash it myself by flicking on throttle hold switch
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:49 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
a) take your long abandoned, not-flying-anymore, stripped-for-parts, old heli, put it ceremoniously to the middle of the field and stomp on it(
Ahhh, a version of the "Viking Funeral". If the heli is in ANY way flyable, you should fly it like you stole it and then deliberately plant it while thinking about the Heli Gods. This alone will buy you at least two uneventful flights with your next or other heli.

Stomping on it will earn you either:
-1 (one) uneventful flight with a new maneuver learned
-Something you need desperately coming up CHEAP in the classifieds

OR, and this I experienced first hand - a deliberate destruction of a heli dedicated to the Gods may earn you a second chance with the experience known as HELI. Ask if you want details. This is a very Zen-like tale which led from dismissal to enlightenment.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack View Post
...If the heli is in ANY way flyable, you should fly it like you stole it and then deliberately plant it while thinking about the Heli Gods...
I stopped at the first part. A month or so ago I 'accidentally' dropped my MT (while flying, of course). As it was flyable decided to stick with: 'It's already crashed so whatever happens next I don't care' and did several good backward circuits! (which, until that time, I refrained doing due to fear of crash - LOL)

Heli Gods were pleased!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:03 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Flew 2 batteries on my Axe CPv3 before work today. Staring at the clock waiting to get out and fly some more. Maybe later i'll stop being a little girl and try some forward flight.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:39 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
... Maybe later i'll stop being a little girl and try some forward flight.
Suggestion: do it in a planned, controlled manner. Go slowly for short distances and bring it back into a tail-in hover. Have you been hovering side-in? If not that would be your next phase.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
No flying for me today.gales and heavy rain forecast for a few days to come

henry
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:00 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123 View Post
No flying for me today.gales and heavy rain forecast for a few days to come

henry
There was a very brief moment this sarvo & i seized the moment & grabbed the bull by the horns.
After practicly 2 weeks of no flying i got the chance today. I was on my way home around 3:20 ish armed with my 450 in the van & i noticed a sudden calm in the extreme wind. I'm fortunate to have spotted a wind gauge at both routes i use to drive to the field & right by it, so seeing that the flags were just rippling i went flying. I only managed about 2/3-3/4 of a pack before the strong gusts came back but it was such a nice 3.5-4 minutes of general flying & tic tocs.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:46 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
904 Posts
No flying for me today. The parts I needed were both screwed up. My thrust bearings for the blade grips showed they were delivered but were not so the place is sending a new set and my main bearings ..... never order from Banana. I had to cause they were the only place that had the Shark 450 main bearing mounts, my package shows up and there are no main bearings only a set of the last versions boom mounts. Bastages!
So after just over an hour on hold they finnaly said send a picture of the wrong part.....??? So I did. Bastages.

At least its pretty much all fixed after the last horendous crash that broke over $80 in parts. LOL!
LaserSVT is offline Find More Posts by LaserSVT
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Yes i flew my 450. I started doing backwards inverted aswell, & i'm hoping to soon be doing inverted piroetting circles.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Replaced my dead elevator servo in CopterX450SE V2...from my close call but heli saved last weekend. Next good weather is Sunday.

Boy I hate working on these TRex type 450 frames. After owning an MT, why would anyone want to work on TRex'es. Anyone in Houston area wanna buy my CopterX so I can buy a second MT?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:26 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
"did you fly today?"
I did, its been beautiful in north florida the past few days and ive been getting out almost every eve .. finally nailed down (i think) my last little nemesis in upright flight .. i had a problem with certain situations like sweeping the nose past me in either direction but i can spin at around a 45 angle nose or tail down no problem at any height or distance or angle and it was really pissing me off because i would just freak and get clammy hands on the sticks with certain sweeps and i couldnt figure out why ... well it was the speed i was doing it at and trying to be slow and steady .. hit it up in the sim for a week at the ultra slow speed and i realized i just hadnt practiced it enough .. bedtime activities are sure to be great tonight
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze