Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:17 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
I haven't flown yet today but I've been working on my Dragonus. Noticed the flybar has unbalanced it's self and caused loosness in the middle, very strange.. This time I used proper loctite and tightened up the screws tight.

I also done a proper balance on the main blades, finding the COG and getting it spot on along with the balance.

(man that's a lot of tape!)

So should be real smooth when I fly her tomorrow, gotta let all the loctite dry .
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:29 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elminister
I ran a few packs through both my Blade and my Axe and realized that I don't have enough room in my front yard to go from port/starboard hovering into nose in practice. I just can't get the altitide to feel 'safe' with it. I call it the 'cone', as I bring it higher I also want more free ground space around under it, radially. Oddly, it is more easy for me to hold a hover sideways with my Axe CP than my Blade400.......?? I don't mean tail direction but stability but overall the Blade is a much smoother machine.

Nerves suck....
Did you get to fly in the open - with out constrictions of your garden? I found it quite liberating, although at first I was scared of all that space I suddenly got... LOL
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
I just flew out in the park, one battery, one wreck, !!! It was a bit windy and the helo got turned around on me and AGAIN I lost orientation; I thought it was facing one way, it was actually at some other attitude so I did my best to just flatten it out as it pancaked into the thankfully wet and soft ground. One main gear chewed up, broken strut holder, one set of blades and I need to check the rest of the helo out but I think believe it or not the flybar survived and everything else. We'll see but so far...

I just need to put the one I'm going to sell back together and sell it, concentrate on putting my Gaui 550 together once she arrives and hope that the 30%+ increase in size will help me to keep orientation more easily. That and time to call for an eye appointment. Frustrating as heck, the downside of having a lot of space is you want to use it but watch out, a T-Rex 450 doesn't get any bigger! Yeah I know, DUH!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
I just flew out in the park, one battery, one wreck, !!! It was a bit windy and the helo got turned around on me and AGAIN I lost orientation; I thought it was facing one way, it was actually at some other attitude so I did my best to just flatten it out as it pancaked into the thankfully wet and soft ground. One main gear chewed up, broken strut holder, one set of blades and I need to check the rest of the helo out but I think believe it or not the flybar survived and everything else. We'll see but so far...

I just need to put the one I'm going to sell back together and sell it, concentrate on putting my Gaui 550 together once she arrives and hope that the 30%+ increase in size will help me to keep orientation more easily. That and time to call for an eye appointment. Frustrating as heck, the downside of having a lot of space is you want to use it but watch out, a T-Rex 450 doesn't get any bigger! Yeah I know, DUH!

Yea, we don't all have the eyesight of Steve Austin
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
I flew last night & OMG!! my flying has got REALLY BAD. I was up high & felt like i was gonna lose control. I could not do a circle & basicly done a fair bit of tail in & side on hovering. I had ZERO confidence in myself & was shaking a little with nerves thinking i was gona crash with my beautiful canopy on. I also had very sweaty thumbs coz of the heat & that makes me very nervous thinking my thumbs will slip of the sticks. Maybe that month off has really affected my flying more than i thought.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816

That is my number one dislike about the 450 size. If it is 150 feet away and you dont know for sure where it is headed your pretty much screwed. Im leaving my canopy white for this reason (at least temporary) I can fly my R50 what seems like a mile away confidentally.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:37 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
@Drew816: LOL - you now started to feel downside of heli addiction... Welcome to the club! O: )

@p4ddy: Eh... I have days like that - see my other threads... My latest is that each time I crash I try to repair it as quickly as possible and have at least one or two more batteries afterwards! It kind of helps going over that 'psychological' bump...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
That is my number one dislike about the 450 size. If it is 150 feet away and you dont know for sure where it is headed your pretty much screwed. Im leaving my canopy white for this reason (at least temporary) I can fly my R50 what seems like a mile away confidentally.

I've just sprayed my "plain white" Trex canopy illuminous yellow/green because plain white gets lost against whispy & grey clouds & i couldn't determine orientation. It was fine other than the clouds.

hey Clicky, it's frustrating, weird & embarasing. I just went out to fly again after dropping the missus to work just a minute ago but there was dog walkers stood chating which imo is the worst time because they are paying very little attention to what their muts are doing. So i didn't even get out my chopper it just came with me for the ride.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:03 PM
LoS sUAS AP/V is not a crime.
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2008
378 Posts
NO. Turned my T-Rex 450SA into a lawn dart last weekend. I hope the parts get here before next weekend.
W,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is offline Find More Posts by W,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Ok, got my fellow 'lawn dart' back together after stealing some parts from my scale T-Rex and did four flights tonight; precision landing, general orientation and approaches, hover practice and all the stuff I can do in my backyard (and that's about the entire list!). I'm feeling a bit better now; it's amazing how much better I fly when I can actually SEE the helo, that Gaui 550 can't get here soon enough for me at this stage. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing 'wrong' with the T-Rex 450's, all these buggers in this class just amaze me; but for 'me personally' they're just too small.

Humm, maybe I'm keep the second T-Rex 450 and make it into another 'bigger' scale build project; maybe a CH-58 Darth build or a retract A109 or a....
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:00 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
hey Clicky, it's frustrating, weird & embarasing. I just went out to fly again after dropping the missus to work just a minute ago but there was dog walkers stood chating which imo is the worst time because they are paying very little attention to what their muts are doing. So i didn't even get out my chopper it just came with me for the ride.
I understand. Couple of times I got a bit further - found one small field between railway and fence of the company I worked for. Nice, isolated and not far at all. But... Field looked so unfriendly it was giving me nightmares just approaching it! I flew twice over there - first time I managed to force myself through 4 batteries, but at the end I just run back. Second time I didn't get to fly whole second - I just couldn't! Never tried to fly over there again.

Even now - field which is 4 houses away is such I cannot be completely relaxed unlike that which is 10minutes ride by bike...
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:12 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Man it's a stupidly windy day today, it's trouble to walk, I flew around one lipo upright it was okay but not doing anything other than a bit of ff....

Setup my Dragonus to complete 3D mode now on the plastic head in preparation for all the bling and the scorp 2221 -8 V2 that's going to go on her soon. It flew just fine, I would have liked to try some inverted with it though!

The new balanced blades are very nice, COG balancing makes a nice difference no vibes at all in flight/take off now.

Let's just hope the wind dies down tomorrow...
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:22 AM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
still havent flown went over my school field with my toucan yesterday tho, a bit too windy
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Keep your wind to yourself!

I've just returned 5 batteries and I still haven't forgotten my routines... But:

1. I need new shaft - the one I have installed is, it looks like so, bent and causing vibration and I cannot switch to Idle Up 2

2. Something is wrong with my tail setup (gyro?). Last battery, last loop it lost the control over tail for a brief moment and swung it around. I thought it was me but when it did one more time in just sharper turn I switched to normal and slowly landed...

BTW Technex - I've got new rucksack for Makro. It is much longer. Will post pics soon - only tail section is hanging out...
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky
BTW Technex - I've got new rucksack for Makro. It is much longer. Will post pics soon - only tail section is hanging out...

Why don't you take advantage of the MT's unique tail boom design & take it off so the whole thing fits.

I just flew on my way home from work. Man am i rubbish or what! It was windy but that does not worry me anymore, & i still flew totally pants. I'd better get better before the fun fly or i'm gona look a complete berk