Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:26 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
Cool I have not been outside sence 5 so I'm sure it calmed down. was still windy when I got home. Funny how we think about the wind.
Yeah, wind is the key for me. Ive flown in some wind but i prefer none. It always seems calm here around 8am and 8pm give or take a few hours here or there. It also seems that if its calm in the morning, and no storms blow in its calm in the evening
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:33 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,124 Posts
you forget I am only 30 min. from you.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:46 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I test flew my heli in the yard. To my relief my tail vibrations are gone after balancing my rotor assembly and blades as a single unit.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:02 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
I test flew my heli in the yard. To my relief my tail vibrations are gone after balancing my rotor assembly and blades as a single unit.
How did you do it that way?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:36 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I removed the main and tail gear. Then inserted main rotor back. Now it was free spinning. I held the heli on its side and allowed the main rotor to see saw. I placed tape on the lighter blade until it was balanced. Worked like a charm. After assembly I test hovered. Then I applied tape by trial and error to remove any small vibes. Very little actually. I guess that came from the gears.

Before this I replaced any shaft that could bend. Main shaft, spindle, gear/pulley assembly, tail shaft, and flybar.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:59 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
I removed the main and tail gear. Then inserted main rotor back. Now it was free spinning. I held the heli on its side and allowed the main rotor to see saw. I placed tape on the lighter blade until it was balanced.

Where did you placed the tape? Middle, closer to the root or tip?

There is much better method (as per Finless, I think):

Mark lighter blade. (using scale or your method! )

Take good main shaft and place rotors parallel to each other (and align screw holes) over the shaft. roll slowly the shaft until one wing tips over. If it is heavier blade, add some tape to the lighter blade's end until both tip at the same time. If it was lighter blade then add tape to that blade but opposite side so it doesn't tip that soon (and add that much until both tip at the same moment).

Now when both blades tip at the same moment - mark that spot on both blades. Measure them again (even using your method) and add type to the lighter (now lighter after adding tape to make CG at the same spot for both) until they balance out. They will be of same weight and have same CG now (even if that means, for really badly balanced blades, that both blades will have some type on).

HTH
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:55 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I know how to balance the main blades. They were balanced during the vibrations. The imbalance was somewhere in the whole rotor assembly which included the gears. A bent part, a chipped gear, I have no idea.

Since it was hard to get the rotor assembly to see saw by itself, I installed the main blades and decided to balance the whole rotor using them. I stripped out all the balancing tape. Then applied tape on the end of the lighter blade until I got it balanced. That did the trick and vibes were gone.

Now the blades aren't balanced by themselves. But as part of a single rotating unit, the whole rotor is balanced.

I will post later on if the result will be permanent as I fly the heli at the field. I hope this is the solution since dealing with vibration is a nightmare. With my heli anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:13 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
But the problem i see is how did you get the main blades centered in the head? When the head spins the blades move into position where they center themself. How are you doing this?

If they arnt perfectly center in the grips your balancing them off center?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:51 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
@Gino: I see... Makes sense, but... what about CoG? Maybe that doesn't matter? I have no idea... tell us how did it go in real flight!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:51 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I aligned it using a straight edge. The other blade should be parallel to the straight edge. No problems encountered at all. Tail fin is smooth now.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:53 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
I aligned it using a straight edge. The other blade should be parallel to the straight edge. No problems encountered at all. Tail fin is smooth now.

So it dont matter that they are centered in the grips as long as they are straight to each other?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:59 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Yup. No different than balancing just the blades. To do that you bolt the blades together then align with a straight edge. The blade with the gap should be parallel. You can check this with a caliper or a simple drafting divider.

But with the full rotor balancing, I didn't balance the main blades by themselves anymore. Since the addition of tape on full rotor balancing messes this up anyway. But the whole rotor will be balanced using this method. And that removes or minimizes vibration. The same can be done with the tail rotor.

@Clicky, test flights in the yard were good. Fin was very smooth. The rotor sounded good too. My tracking problem was gone.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:03 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Ha! It just came to me: maybe you SHOULD balance main blades and mark centre of gravity and then apply tape there to balance whole head! Good idea. I might do the same now with mine
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:04 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
You are right. I will do that after my field test. But remember that all shafts must be straight to begin with. This method is for balancing what those phantom culprits did.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:21 AM
He who is Elminister
Syracuse, NY
Joined Mar 2008
462 Posts
I ran a few packs through both my Blade and my Axe and realized that I don't have enough room in my front yard to go from port/starboard hovering into nose in practice. I just can't get the altitide to feel 'safe' with it. I call it the 'cone', as I bring it higher I also want more free ground space around under it, radially. Oddly, it is more easy for me to hold a hover sideways with my Axe CP than my Blade400.......?? I don't mean tail direction but stability but overall the Blade is a much smoother machine.

Nerves suck....
Elminister is offline Find More Posts by Elminister