SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2009, 03:28 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Yup, it's still a warm 28ºC without the sun.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:02 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
mmm, I would take this over the T-Rex 500 or the protos anyday Im having flybarless withdrawls!! I miss my logo 10 Vbar that I sold a long while back.. Stupid mistake I made to sell it!!! haha!!
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:51 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
Yes i did.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's 2 vids of me & Gav flying this evening. My loops are very boggy as i'm still working on getting the correct collective management (430X 13T) 2 of them were good. This is my 1st video of me looping & proper inverted hovering.
Very nice! (belated) Congratulations...

Nice loops! I would have given you a small warning here if I didn't know what you had done (piros and piro circuits) - practice hovering/flying in all orientations. I had couple of mishaps in loops when loop didn't end up nice and straight and tail swang to the left and I've lost orientation...

. . .

Anyway - when you said you were hovering inverted - I was so cuirous to find out is it tail or nose in. I'm nose in inverted-hovering-first guy too . Since you're hovering inverted so nicely, but ending loops too low - here is something you can try: while inverted (hovering) - and when you have steadied it - give a bit more negative to gain altitude before bailing out. Repeat it. Now - when doing a loop - deliberately stop (for a brief second) loop at the top and give a bit more negative. After that - just go through the loop and at the top give more negative. That's all. Last, and the scariest thing is - try to hover inverted and just before bailing out - give negative and bail through the loop (instead pushing elevator forward, pull it to yourself as if you're doing a loop). Just flip back. It looks so cool - but I always have to concentrate what I am going to do - if not my fingers are just going to do what they are normally doing!

- - -

When are we going to make that FF? I am so eager to see all that flying in person! (and Logo, too, of course!)
clicky is online now Find More Posts by clicky
Old Jun 06, 2009, 02:38 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Yea that's the plan, I find it awquard trying to find when the neg pitch bites & end up not giving any neg & so it drops out the loop fast & low. I need to make a real effort to make a deliberatly exagerated neg input.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Jun 06, 2009, 03:23 PM
fly to win. win to fly.
clovis, NM
Joined Mar 2008
426 Posts
i hovered a pack today just to see if i could fly in 20+ mph winds, its possible just not very fun
dog chaser is offline Find More Posts by dog chaser
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:25 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog chaser
i hovered a pack today just to see if i could fly in 20+ mph winds, its possible just not very fun

Hmm?? You said earlier that thaty's normal there & you fly in it all the time??

I assume now you were refering to the 10mph quoted in the weather chart i posted & not the 22-27mph gusts. Thing is when it says 22-27mph gusts it means constant The gusts are relentless & so the 10mph is irelivent. Also ignore the 22 bit as it will allways be the max gust.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:29 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Just to ad, i did once try to fly in 35-55mph winds with the 450 & although it would probably fly in very capable hands i didn't try. I got it off the ground into a very bumpy hover. Most of that hover was actually trying to land without slamming it into the ground.

I'll refrase, it'll fly WITH the wind but not into the wind
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:43 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Speed of wind, as depicted in forecast, means... very little. Sometimes they measure it to 30-40mph (20mph with gusts) and it is perfectly flyable (you need to fight the wind one side and it just takes it while going on the other); while sometimes 15-20mph can be very unpleasant - with lots of turbulences making heli bobbing up and down and acting very erratically.

For example: with 'good' wind (to, lets say left side) - trying to land you will see heli with blades inclined towards wind and there won't be a problem touching the ground relatively easy. With 'bad' wind - it would jump up and down (and to side from time to time) and the moment you thought you got it - it would jump again in the the air and then suddenly drop back to the ground...
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:52 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
All wind is BAD wind IMO Apart from bum wind, that good wind because it's funny wind LOL
Old Jun 07, 2009, 03:31 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
funny wind
Nicely put Let's categorise winds:

no wind (hover and/or fly inverted lower-ish)
bad wind (puts you off flying)
good wind (pushes your heli a bit to side, but doesn't affect flying significantly)
funny wind (lets you doing huge loops/stall turns to the wind, makes funny rolls when coming from the side of heli)
freezing wind (makes your fingers froze so you lose feeling in them)
Old Jun 07, 2009, 05:56 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
clicky— there is probably a correlation between the types of wind you name and:

1) thinking about flying (no wind or little wind)
2) arriving at the flying field (little or no wind)
3) taking out a helicopter and setting it up (calm to light wind: 'it's not so bad...')
4) plugging in flight battery (increasing wind with gusts: 'okaaay.....')
5) spinning it up (moderate wind, increasing gusts: 'wouldn't you know it?')
6) lifting off (gale: 'sh•t!')
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jun 07, 2009, 06:26 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Breaking Wind: You run away!
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:58 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
@zen: Definitively! It's so accurate...

@Gino: Breaking wind: everyone else runs away!
Old Jun 07, 2009, 11:50 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Here's one of my 450 flights today. Totally gutted as no sound was recorded. With good collective management my 430X will do 2 loops in a row. Unfortunaley that was after the wife stopped recording. I also managed a side on loop which made me shake a little. I had the Logo with me but was having so much fun with the 450, i have a new found love for it LOL. The bright sky was getting a bit much & so i stopped before flying the Logo. I reckon i'm going to need some flying sun glasses. Once again sorry for the silent video.

More inverted (2 min 52 sec)
Old Jun 07, 2009, 01:31 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Own Trex noises, hahahaha! Nice flying mate as always! Some sweet inverted .

You need sunglasses mate, even cloudy skys can be the brightest, which we get quite a bit here hey! Lol...

I find side on loops easiest as you can see the circle perfect. Flips I don't find so easy side on as it's hard to see where the tail is IMO, can be a bit messy if it's not lined up.

I had two great flights this morning. Felt that the cyclic could be more powerful with my Dragonus, I installed a 220mm flybar from my Falcon 3D 20mm more than stock, should make it more stable and increase cyclic. Can't wait until I try it out, hopefully tomorrow if weather stays nice.

If that doesn't help next up is lighter paddles, dunno what I'm going to use yet though .
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough