HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2007, 06:26 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I've just been out with my trex & i've just had my BEST flight ever. No 3D just fig 8's but they were my best ever. It was a little windy but that didn't stop me as the wind gets you most when hovering. Well i just started of with my usual 8's taking it out each way with a small turn at the end (i suppose i've really been doing lazy 8's) but today i sped it up & done a nice banked turn untill it was nose in at an angle towards me (8 o'clock left..5 o'clock right) & just flew straight then another big banked turn at the other end. Aaah, it was bliss . The heli just felt sooo much smoother when flying like this & i didn't let the speed it was going faze me & kept it cool & that really helped me just go with the flow. I had an audience of 1 man & his baby too. If the weather stays good (may have rain) i hope to get some mobile phone video action of it later to post up in the video thread. ooooweeee i'm one happy p4ddy today

Just thinking the angle was probably more 4 & 7 o'clock
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:08 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Saturday ack emma at the local park. No one around. Put up the Blade CP Pro and almost bit the weenie with a swoop to the ground flying towards me. Somehow pulled it out to land with no damage.

Then back up and hovered nose-in. A couple of clockwise circles came out of that. Forward flight, fast and slow with banked turns and my version of a stall turn at the ends. Some eights. No wind, good light. Maximum altitude of maybe 70 feet. It looked really nice up there above the lower trees. I'll know that I really have it in hand when I can hover it above the 100 foot high redwood in the center of the park!
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:16 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
I've just been out with my trex & i've just had my BEST flight ever. No 3D just fig 8's but they were my best ever. It was a little windy but that didn't stop me as the wind gets you most when hovering. Well i just started of with my usual 8's taking it out each way with a small turn at the end (i suppose i've really been doing lazy 8's) but today i sped it up & done a nice banked turn untill it was nose in at an angle towards me (8 o'clock left..5 o'clock right) & just flew straight then another big banked turn at the other end. Aaah, it was bliss . The heli just felt sooo much smoother when flying like this & i didn't let the speed it was going faze me & kept it cool & that really helped me just go with the flow. I had an audience of 1 man & his baby too. If the weather stays good (may have rain) i hope to get some mobile phone video action of it later to post up in the video thread. ooooweeee i'm one happy p4ddy today

Just thinking the angle was probably more 4 & 7 o'clock
good to hear man!
moosemanty is offline Find More Posts by moosemanty
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:57 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
A little windy here today but this morning after sunup it was maybe 8 to 10? Anyway, 3 flights on the eco 8 and one on the hb fp, until the wind took it and it wouldnt come back, had to set it down about 200 yds away from me. That was actually pretty funny as the little thing just wouldn't come back in the wind. Anyway, a good day. Nothing fancy, just some ff and hovering. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Oct 06, 2007, 01:28 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
I've just been out with my trex & i've just had my BEST flight ever. No 3D just fig 8's but they were my best ever. I...
I think something is in the star alignment!

I made a quick decision this afternoon to go to the field (took family out for a walk - left them half way and stay behind with my 6 LiPos... I wasn't windy (wasn't completely still either but it as 'good' wind and very, very light).

Used up only 5 of batteries but that was more then enough: finally proper figures of 8! Even leveled. As p4ddy said - 4 and 7 o'clock. Smooth. Proper altitude. Practiced even nose-in ... getting into it from BOTH sides! (going to nose-in from right to left is so hard for my fried-up brain)... Phenomenal day - especially considering that these were my FIRST real figures of 8. Also, it took me a pack and a half to loosen up a bit - it all started with not being able to move nose for more then 10 o'clock left and 2 o'clock right!

I have no idea what happened but I finally connected all moves together and made it so smooth with properly banked at each turn... Also, I let it fly a bit faster and higher then I was comfortable before. Even managed full circle both directions!

Fantastic day!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 06, 2007, 01:53 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=662426&page=9

here it is... scroll to the bottom video not the 1st one
Old Oct 06, 2007, 03:46 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Very nice! ... and smooth! I did very similar, but slightly higher (3x the altitude) and maybe slightly wider... My kids did notice it: "Daddy you never flew that high before"... LOL.

There was something in the air today...
Old Oct 06, 2007, 04:03 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky
Very nice! ... and smooth! I did very similar, but slightly higher (3x the altitude) and maybe slightly wider... My kids did notice it: "Daddy you never flew that high before"... LOL.

There was something in the air today...

Yea, i hope it's still in the air tomorow morning to. I'm taking it out 1st thing & try & get slightly more visible video. I'll get it a bit higher & wider for you aswell
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:12 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined May 2004
728 Posts
Yes, sure did!

After a few months hiatus, I finally was able to fly this afternoon! Weather was fine, brought everybody out to the park including the latest addition to our family (barely 8 wks old) to do a little bit of fishin' & flyin'. Maaaan, it was great...
GoRgOyL is offline Find More Posts by GoRgOyL
Last edited by GoRgOyL; Oct 07, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 02:20 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Yea, i hope it's still in the air tomorow morning to. I'm taking it out 1st thing & try & get slightly more visible video. I'll get it a bit higher & wider for you aswell
I won't be able to get out until after lunch - So... I am expecting full report!
Old Oct 07, 2007, 02:22 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRgOyL
After a few months hiatus, I finally was able to fly this afternoon! Weather was fine, brought everybody out to the park including the latest addition to our family (barely 8 wks old) to do a little bit of fishin' & flying'. Maaaan, it was great...
That is one cool future helicopter pilot!
Old Oct 07, 2007, 07:54 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
I won't be able to get out until after lunch - So... I am expecting full report!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=9#post8312911

post 132

Here it is clicky, i went higher & wider for you My knees were actually knocking coz i was shaking so much with adrenelin. I flew in normal mode aswell as i've raised the throttle curve in normal below midstick. So it's allmost identical to idle 1 but with spool up ability. Gonna go out again later for some more

BTW that baby is giving me evil eyes
Old Oct 07, 2007, 02:25 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
...Here it is clicky, i went higher & wider for you
Fantastic! So, it is called "peer group presure". Right? LOL

There are couple of things I was thinking watching your video:

1. If in one of the rounds you slow down just a tiny bit, make turn slightly wider, do not move thumbs and just continue going - you will make a full circle.

2. You were flying nose-in! :P It was somewhere around 1:45 to the end of the movie - when going from left (wide left) back to right. Since it was too far away, you turned to the left and flew almost toward yourself!

3. I tend to fly "low and slow" - I feel more comfortable. Moving it further away and higher wasn't easy (it is all in our brains I would say). Well done!

Quote:
My knees were actually knocking coz i was shaking so much with adrenelin.
I went out today too. Just to see if "it" is still there - can I still fly like that. First battery I had to stop after each 2 minutes because of adrenalin. It good better by the end of that battery O: ) On the fifth it went too high (new battery) - too far away and at one point I thought "that's it - it won't finish with happy ending." It did but just! LOL

Quote:
I flew in normal mode aswell as i've raised the throttle curve in normal below midstick. So it's allmost identical to idle 1 but with spool up ability. Gonna go out again later for some more
It was so calm today I barely needed middle of throttle stick. I was flying in Idle Up 1 as well - but mostly because of one turn where I put nose slightly more downwards, it picked up speed (towards me) and I needed full stick back to level it back again. Didn't think on time to add some more throttle (at the point it was just around the middle (if not a bit below). In Idle Up 1 at least I do have good head speed. O: )

- - -

If I get "free" in November and weather permits I might decide to take family down there so we can fly together?
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:44 PM
Take it easy
Tampa, Florida USA
Joined May 2007
547 Posts
I flew this .... clear, bright and WINDY morning. 3 helis and 1 plank went to the field. All flights went well, pushed the envelope just a little more and I gained more confidence from the experience. Had the Dragonus on it's back several times but kept it up away from the ground for now. I must say, I really enjoy flying the Rappy nitro.

Yep... good flyin' day for me.

Rich
SlowRide is offline Find More Posts by SlowRide
Old Oct 07, 2007, 04:24 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Fantastic! So, it is called "peer group presure". Right? LOL

There are couple of things I was thinking watching your video:

1. If in one of the rounds you slow down just a tiny bit, make turn slightly wider, do not move thumbs and just continue going - you will make a full circle.

2. You were flying nose-in! :P It was somewhere around 1:45 to the end of the movie - when going from left (wide left) back to right. Since it was too far away, you turned to the left and flew almost toward yourself!

3. I tend to fly "low and slow" - I feel more comfortable. Moving it further away and higher wasn't easy (it is all in our brains I would say). Well done!

I went out today too. Just to see if "it" is still there - can I still fly like that. First battery I had to stop after each 2 minutes because of adrenalin. It good better by the end of that battery O: ) On the fifth it went too high (new battery) - too far away and at one point I thought "that's it - it won't finish with happy ending." It did but just! LOL

It was so calm today I barely needed middle of throttle stick. I was flying in Idle Up 1 as well - but mostly because of one turn where I put nose slightly more downwards, it picked up speed (towards me) and I needed full stick back to level it back again. Didn't think on time to add some more throttle (at the point it was just around the middle (if not a bit below). In Idle Up 1 at least I do have good head speed. O: )

- - -

If I get "free" in November and weather permits I might decide to take family down there so we can fly together?

yeah that would be great where are you from then?? Also if you go to my youtube page via my video you'll see my progression including full circles (low & slow). Strangely though you'll see my 1st flight with the trex in the new forrest & i went high & done banked turns yet after a crash i just went to slow & low instead. I'm fine with flying & hovering nose in, but i just couldn't get the nerve to fly like this