HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:25 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Work on backwards circles. A funnel is really just a very tight circle. Same with nose down funnels. If you can do forward circles, you can do nose down funnels in no time. Start with very slow circles. As you go faster, banks will come naturally. Same with funnels, start with a shallow angle. Build muscle memory.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 11:16 PM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
I flew my Compy FP BD today in the highest winds I've ever flown in yet... (it is a bit heavier than the HBFP)... pretty steady winds from 10-20MPH... wouldn't have dreamt of that even a few weeks ago... partially from my better skills and partly from the heavier heli. It was wild... I won't do that on a regular basis... landings were the heardest.. FF wasn't that bad actually! Anyone here know how the blade 400 handles winds?
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:10 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
317 Posts
I been having a great time with my Blade Rex 400. Here is the latest vid of my most recent park flying fun.

Still crawling up that learning curve.

Simple arobatics with some flips, loops, rolls, and occasional inverted hover.

Blade 400 3-D Aerobatic Special 2008 (8 min 5 sec)
Mecos is offline Find More Posts by Mecos
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:54 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecos
I been having a great time with my Blade Rex 400. Here is the latest vid of my most recent park flying fun.

Still crawling up that learning curve.

Simple arobatics with some flips, loops, rolls, and occasional inverted hover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlo22gJASg
Nice flying, Mecos!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:39 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Feb 2005
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com
On the other hand, yes, I am also used to more and faster range of rudder control. Some expo could make up the difference when pinching, maybe. I could ask myself what Kyle Stacy would do at a time like this, but I'm not him.
I'm not Kyle either but I do have some insight in to what he is doing
One of Kyle's favorite radios was the 7C. It fit his hands well and the sticks had nice pointed ends.
When he started using the 12FG, he noticed that they had smoother stick ends and his fingers were slipping. I got him another set of 7C ends for the 12FG and the problem was solved.
Rstacy is offline Find More Posts by Rstacy
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:48 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstacy
I'm not Kyle either but I do have some insight in to what he is doing
One of Kyle's favorite radios was the 7C. It fit his hands well and the sticks had nice pointed ends.
When he started using the 12FG, he noticed that they had smoother stick ends and his fingers were slipping. I got him another set of 7C ends for the 12FG and the problem was solved.
Does Kyle pinch the sticks or use his thumbs? (Can't pass up the chance to know!)

Thanksó
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Aug 04, 2008, 07:48 PM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
some good tight quarter practice today

Well I got in 5 wonderfull flights today and I am working on filling in the last of the missing jigsaw pieces of upright flight. I feel that since I have been flying the Raptor I have broken out of a box that I had put myself in with my Blade and mostly flying around in the neighbors front yard. I don't feel like it was a total waste though, as I have gotten really good at slow controlled movements in close quarters. I get spoiled at the flying field with my Raptor and my Blade and then I come home to my little hover spot. I am getting close to loosing my inverted virginity! I hope to give it up on Saturday and be a full fledged heli slut by Sunday evening!!
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:16 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Does Kyle pinch the sticks or use his thumbs? (Can't pass up the chance to know!)

Thanksó
This Kyle?

http://www.kylerocks.com/
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:33 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Looks like he pinchs to me, judging from the pics
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:28 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
If he pinches (which a lot of advanced pilots do) then narrow, pointy Tx sticks fit into the hands better than fat accessory stick add-ons. Thumb fliers, on the other hand, are more prone to like the stick accessories.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:52 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Yeah i agree, im trying to wean myself from using only thumbs. Its almost like learning to fly again. I still use my thumb for the collective which has bit me in the butt a few times. I think the pinch method is alot more precise than thumbs. With using only thumbs its more of a muscle memory thing to learn where the stick is.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Aug 05, 2008, 10:03 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Feb 2005
216 Posts
Quote:

Thanksó
Kyle has always pinched the sticks. He tends to pinch at the very end which is why the 7C pointy ends work better for him. When he was younger he always need the shortest stick possible so that he could hold the radio and still operate the sticks and switches. This is not much of an issue these days as he is almost 13.
He has flown radios with smooth stick ends and he found that his fingers were slipping during aggressive maneuvers.
The 12FG with 7C stick ends is his favorite combination.
Rstacy is offline Find More Posts by Rstacy
Old Aug 05, 2008, 12:41 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I fly thumbs. I've tried to pinch using phoenix but i cannot control the sticks as in my movement is very limited. I can fly 3D moves (on phoenix) with thumbs including chaos. I think my fingers are too long to pinch comfortably & thumbs just feel so natural for me. When i pinch i get way to much cyclic interaction & i have to move my hands & not just my fingers. There are some top 3D pilots who use thumbs (i need to search my threads to remember)
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:29 PM
Heli Steve
Ft. Pierce Florida
Joined Dec 2007
866 Posts
Started with thumbs and switched to fingers

Hi, about a month into flying helis I bought a transmitter tray and switched to fingers but had to practice alot because it was very uncomfortable at first but after a month I slowly got used to it, and now I don't even think about it.
Steve Klyce is offline Find More Posts by Steve Klyce
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:33 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Those transmitter trays look nice, keep thinking of getting one. Although I've set my neckstrap up to how I like it now. Only problem I have with pinch is my hand sometimes slips on the back of the TX, something I've been needing to sort out with a bit of grip tape, doesn't really effect my flying though.

Package coming tomorrow, bloody 27 quid for customs, almost as much as the parts! Should be able to have my Dragonus back in the air, with lovely carbon frames + extras .
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough