HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:02 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Last flights of the day: indoors. Flew the Lama co-ax for the first time in forever. Decided to try pinching the sticks like all the real hot heli pilots do. Easy with that bird. Then tried pinching to fly the Blade CP Pro w/brushless power. Whoa! Kind of harder and less certain results. Set up will matter a lot more if I persist in this experiment.
zen@lanset.com is online now Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
Maryland, USA
Joined Jan 2007
8,577 Posts
LOL I'm another thumbs holdout, but I've been thinking about it since I find that my left thumb sometimes rolls on the stick when I'm doing a lot of tail movements. I never had that problem with fixed-wing, and I really like the range of movement you get with just thumbs, but that movement makes for a hiccup going from left to right when it happens. It's annoying.
osterizer is offline Find More Posts by osterizer
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:53 AM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I put on a pair of those wider aluminum caps for the sticks from MicroHeli with depressions on top. They make the sticks a lot more comfortable and help keep my thumbs centered on them. I have a feeling that I'll keep flying by thumb, but maybe I'll do it both ways.

On the other hand, yes, I am also used to more and faster range of rudder control. Some expo could make up the difference when pinching, maybe. I could ask myself what Kyle Stacy would do at a time like this, but I'm not him.

P.S.: recently I made my first fixed wing flights. Heli skills transfer nicely, including using ailerons. Only thing that really gets me is landing. Can't hover until I feel it is time to touch down!
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:00 AM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
Maryland, USA
Joined Jan 2007
8,577 Posts
That's a good idea, thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, problem with planks is they're like sharks- they have to keep moving forward or they die . I like switching off and flying both, though.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:19 AM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Someone at the Tuesday afternoon soaring spot (where I fly the Blade CP Pro in 15+ mph wind) was giving a buddy box lesson last week and I asked him for a few minutes of stick time. Only a couple of weeks after learning to take off and land a high wing trainer. Slope soaring is cool when the glider steps onto the elevator and goes up. I'm with you for flying rotary and fixed wings. The reason I got into helicopters in the first place was going on line to look for a wood fixed wing kit to build. Picked up a V3 Lama when I had zero RC experience. Never envisioned learning to fly single rotor birds and being surrounded by heli's and parts.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 03:18 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Those wider cap sticks for thumb users actually cause problems, because the surface area is larger and shallow your thumbs can slide off easier.
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:30 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
I want some stick shrooms lol i sometomes think my thumbs will slip when getting sweaty. Everywhere i've seen them though there bloody expensive for what they are.

Looks like my fingers are slipping as i type aswell lol (sometomes )
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:58 AM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technex
Those wider cap sticks for thumb users actually cause problems, because the surface area is larger and shallow your thumbs can slide off easier.
Not in my experience. The depression in the top secures my thumbs without inducing the pain of pressing down as hard as I tended to do before I got them. The difference is really amazing; far more comfortable and I am more relaxed when I fly. Maybe the shallow concentric rings inside the MicroHeli version plays a role in this.

p4ddyŚ yes, twelve bucks U.S. is not free, but for me it has been well worth it.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:17 PM
allways hyper
Arcata, California
Joined Sep 2006
593 Posts
Dont you guys want to get rc scars on your thumbs from the spikes???

Kind of like scars from knifes or scars from tigers you know?
sqito is offline Find More Posts by sqito
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:01 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
I had a set of the large cap sticks on my old 9c and really liked them. Alot of it is about finger size.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Aug 01, 2008, 03:58 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
I don't press hard on my sticks, actualy i only just have my thumbs on them. I've tried pinching on the sim & i find it as hard to do as playing a guitar (no i do not play but i had a go once, i'm a house junky ).
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:04 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Paddy, I thought you used the pinch method :O. I should pay more attention to your TX, lol. I always watch your heli .
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:20 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,987 Posts
Yep, thumbs.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:57 PM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
Maryland, USA
Joined Jan 2007
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqito
Dont you guys want to get rc scars on your thumbs from the spikes???

Kind of like scars from knifes or scars from tigers you know?
Or on your fingertips from guitars and pianos?

I actually do have a bit of a callus on my thumbs from the transmitter, same as on my fingers from the strings/keys.
Old Aug 03, 2008, 04:15 AM
"How old are you?"
Brum, U.K.
Joined Feb 2006
544 Posts
I've just got in from 5 packs but it wasn't too fun as the wind was quite gusty.... After yesterday i just had to give it a try...

I need more time on backwards, it's pants at the moment...

Mike
Brummeh is offline Find More Posts by Brummeh