HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
No one suggesting the Acromaster by Multiplex?
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakkityYak55
Hey the eflite yak is part plywood. it has a foam hull reinforced with a plywood plane. It is an extremly solis flier. It does tend to slip out of a hover pretty easily and will need some coupling for knife edge. But altogether it is one of my most reliable planes. Its just that it is discontinued and your gonna have to snatch one up before they're all gone.

All regards,

The name above Calvin
I had no clue they were discontinued, there is one in the LHS been there forever, they can't sell it. I didn't know it had any plywood in it.
Thanks for the tip on the KE as I love to KE my planes

Mr flash that looks really nice, I do not have the pascinse to build anything like that, a Arf is fine, but to build more then a flat plane foam I just don't enjoy building, that is super nice, wish someone had a plane that looked like that as a arf, i know there many but not as nice looking as that one.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Snake
What about the Tribute FX?

Mine is dead smack in the middle, flying like both a slow pattern plane, but then also does decent 3D.

I'd think a prop change could sway it either direction even moreso.
I was looking at that, I have the Orginal one, well the White depron tribute that was big a few years ago.
but some of those built up foam planes look so cheap.

I have a Typhoon and its the biggest waste of money ever. maybe with all new radio gear in it, it be okay but stock it sucks.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicker
A few years? None of my planes are older than a year Maybe it's the way I fly I'm happy if my plane makes the 1 year birthday, balsa OR foam. If you ain't beating the tar out of it you ain't learning anything. Maybe it's a ProBro thing, but I'm hard on my planes.

Here's me dipping the O2 into the corn at this year's Omaha ProBro. At one time we had 5 guys at a time out in the corn dipping them. Pete Rosas was even dipping his 40% Carden Edge into the corn.

Tear it up and have some fun and improve the skills!!!!

Q
yeah I had my first foamy for about a year and 1/2 then built a 2nd to replace it after I learned hovering,toque rolls,harriers,low slow KE, and other stuff. and I just finished flying it last week after about another year and a a half with it.They both each had over 300 flights on them. it still looked nice but the fuse keep cracking. i might just trace another and double up on the fuse. the wing is still in great shape
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
Olympia, WA
Joined May 2005
496 Posts
I would suggest you consider the Multiplex Acromaster. I am in the process of building one and have two other Multiplex Elapor planes. They are very durable and with the right motor fly very well. The Acromaster is well designed and is fully capable of 3D flight.

Danny
DannyR is offline Find More Posts by DannyR
Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR
I would suggest you consider the Multiplex Acromaster. I am in the process of building one and have two other Multiplex Elapor planes. They are very durable and with the right motor fly very well. The Acromaster is well designed and is fully capable of 3D flight.

Danny
Thanks. I checked it out, not sure I really like the looks of it, and that name muiltiplex, i have seen there planes in person they look like those cheap gliders from wal mart.

I guess there tuff. maybe i should go with a balsa profile type plane. i just want something I am not going to be worried about if it does hit the ground, guess i should just pratice low and keep it from the ground, i am the best 3d pilot out of one of my two clubs I belong to afterall.

just want to get where i can do low/slow rolling harrier circles really good.
and hovering right on the deck like I could my foamy
Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Multiplex Acromaster is a good choice too.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
Olympia, WA
Joined May 2005
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamiesrfun
Thanks. I checked it out, not sure I really like the looks of it, and that name muiltiplex, i have seen there planes in person they look like those cheap gliders from wal mart.

I guess there tuff. maybe i should go with a balsa profile type plane. i just want something I am not going to be worried about if it does hit the ground, guess i should just pratice low and keep it from the ground, i am the best 3d pilot out of one of my two clubs I belong to afterall.

just want to get where i can do low/slow rolling harrier circles really good.
and hovering right on the deck like I could my foamy
From your comments I would assume you have never actually flown a Multiplex model or perhaps even seen one flown. The looks of a model is very subjective and certainly is in the eyes of the beholder. However, performance is not so subjective. I suggest that if you were to fly one, you might have a different opinion. You could checkout the Acromaster thread and view some of the videos there to help you form a more informed opinion.

Good Luck with your quest.

Danny
DannyR is offline Find More Posts by DannyR
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
Jordan "Woody" King
Joined Jan 2006
526 Posts
I would look again at the airfoilz. It doesn't fly like a foamy and is a GREAT 3D flyer and also precision flyer. Its fuse is about 3/4 thick with 2 wooden spars that go through it.
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:38 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
EPP or stop and glue, your choice

The AcroMaster is excellent, but 3D? Maybe, but mine's more slow pattern. It has tail issues when it slows down too much, not like any decent 3D plane I have.

If you ain't crashing your 3D plane, you ain't flying hard enough!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king160woody
I would look again at the airfoilz. It doesn't fly like a foamy and is a GREAT 3D flyer and also precision flyer. Its fuse is about 3/4 thick with 2 wooden spars that go through it.

Not to mention the braceing that goes in between those 2 spares.

Kevin
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
Joined Jun 2007
120 Posts
a friend of mine has a hobby lobby super zoom 4d. I think thats what its called but its super durable and very thick. It comes with wheels and floats i believe. You can find it a www.hobbylobbyint.com
foamie crasher is offline Find More Posts by foamie crasher
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Airfoilz planes are hands down amazing. I shopped around for weeks for my first foamie and I stopped at Airfoilz. I put the kit together throughout most of the week last week and it went together very nicely, no stop-ups at all (besides my own inexperience, but even that didn't slow me down much since the kit went together so nicely).

I maidened it yesterday evening and the thing flies like it's on rails. All I could do was try to hover it (First ever hover) and I actually did it. Woo Woo. Was a piece of cake.

My reccomendation is the Airfoilz Edge 540 or their Yak..

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
thanks everyone, well "When your good your good " thats what a guy said to me the otherday after hearing about my flying ability.

check out my video from this afternoon. I was bored ,wanted to fly and figured it was time for a video of the tribute

Tribute rc plane flying 3D (6 min 47 sec)
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:59 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamiesrfun

Mr flash that looks really nice, I do not have the pascinse to build anything like that, a Arf is fine, but to build more then a flat plane foam I just don't enjoy building, that is super nice, wish someone had a plane that looked like that as a arf, i know there many but not as nice looking as that one.
Cheers Chris, Theres some superb kits out these days but sometimes half the fun for me is building something from scatch..usually about half way through I wish Id have bought an ARTF though

BTW nice vid, thats what I call hands off torquing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28
BTW, nice plane Mr. Flash, did you cut the cores yourself? I have a DAW Staudacher that is EPP covered in Ultracote. It is darn near invincible.
Soz Gregg missed yer post. The wings arnt cores as such . Theyre EPP foam "skins " over an EPP foam centre panel reinforecd with carbon strips and a few ribs added to help me get a a nice gradual taper (fat root -thin tip) . The wing tubes are Phenolic tubes from the tail of a big IMAC machine. Fairly lightweight but like you say darn near invincible
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash