HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:23 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Discussion
any foamies out there that fly like a built up balsa plane?

I loved my foamies but they keep breaking, I wanted something more Durable? well okay something that wont get old and weak, the Depron loosses its stregh after a few years (i don't care what anyone says . it does)

I want a Foam plane but one that flys like a built up plane if there is such a thing. I want a thick fuse rather then a thin one like the foamies I have always flown.. one with landing gear maybe? doesn't have to have gear I guess..
I have been looking at/considering the

E flite Yak 54
Extra Stiffy by Copperhead aviation

Not sure how many driffrent ones like this are out there.
be nice to use what I have witch is HS-55's and a 25A Esc I have a 2015 geared 6:1 motors.

but if have to go larger motor that be fine also.

I been flying my Mini Edge and I really love it but I miss flying my fancyfoam edge 540 I could just do so much with it, I had MaX controls and all on it, and I didnt worry about hitting the ground ( we all do every now and then)

I would like something that flys more like my built up edge so that I don't get spolied flying it then be totally messed up flying my Mini edge, Not that I get totally confused but it would be nice to get better at hovering and all on the deck with a plane that flys like the ME and not worry about hitting the ground if I did.

hope that makes sense.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamiesrfun
I loved my foamies but they keep breaking, I wanted something more Durable? well okay something that wont get old and weak, the Depron loosses its stregh after a few years (i don't care what anyone says . it does)

I want a Foam plane but one that flys like a built up plane if there is such a thing. I want a thick fuse rather then a thin one like the foamies I have always flown.. one with landing gear maybe? doesn't have to have gear I guess..
I have been looking at/considering the

E flite Yak 54
Extra Stiffy by Copperhead aviation

Not sure how many driffrent ones like this are out there.
be nice to use what I have witch is HS-55's and a 25A Esc I have a 2015 geared 6:1 motors.

but if have to go larger motor that be fine also.

I been flying my Mini Edge and I really love it but I miss flying my fancyfoam edge 540 I could just do so much with it, I had MaX controls and all on it, and I didnt worry about hitting the ground ( we all do every now and then)

I would like something that flys more like my built up edge so that I don't get spolied flying it then be totally messed up flying my Mini edge, Not that I get totally confused but it would be nice to get better at hovering and all on the deck with a plane that flys like the ME and not worry about hitting the ground if I did.

hope that makes sense.

e-foamies extra edge and yak
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Last edited by 800mZero; Aug 10, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:17 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
The Copperhead Stiffy (I have version 1) definitly flys like a larger balsa plane, but is extremely durable. The Zoom/Sniper is a great airplane also, but is closer to a foamy than the Stiffy is.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
NO CABIN PRESSURE!!
Joined Jun 2007
262 Posts
Hey the eflite yak is part plywood. it has a foam hull reinforced with a plywood plane. It is an extremly solis flier. It does tend to slip out of a hover pretty easily and will need some coupling for knife edge. But altogether it is one of my most reliable planes. Its just that it is discontinued and your gonna have to snatch one up before they're all gone.

All regards,

The name above Calvin
YakkityYak55 is offline Find More Posts by YakkityYak55
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:37 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I would take a good look at the E-Foamies line of planes. You may need a smaller motor and esc, but these planes really fly and 3D great. EPP foam will take much more abuse then a depron plane will...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598526

Good luck
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Quote:

I want a Foam plane but one that flys like a built up plane if there is such a thing. I want a thick fuse rather then a thin one like the foamies I have always flown.. one with landing gear maybe?
If you fancy building your own this is something Ive been working on for a few months thats all EPP foam and covered in film, virtually indestructable even in my numpty hands. Ill try and get a vid up soon and hopefully plans to follow in a month or so. Just got a few flights in first before I add the bling !!

Hey Zero, found a piccy you can size it against. Just a tad bigger than the E-foamies squadron
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Last edited by MrFlash; Aug 10, 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:21 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
There are three planes that come up whenever this question is asked. I have only seen 2 so far, the Stiffy and the E-Foamies. Where is the other one?

BTW, nice plane Mr. Flash, did you cut the cores yourself? I have a DAW Staudacher that is EPP covered in Ultracote. It is darn near invincible.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
What about the Tribute FX?

Mine is dead smack in the middle, flying like both a slow pattern plane, but then also does decent 3D.

I'd think a prop change could sway it either direction even moreso.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Quote:
A few years? None of my planes are older than a year Maybe it's the way I fly I'm happy if my plane makes the 1 year birthday, balsa OR foam. If you ain't beating the tar out of it you ain't learning anything. Maybe it's a ProBro thing, but I'm hard on my planes.

Here's me dipping the O2 into the corn at this year's Omaha ProBro. At one time we had 5 guys at a time out in the corn dipping them. Pete Rosas was even dipping his 40% Carden Edge into the corn.

Tear it up and have some fun and improve the skills!!!!

Q
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:53 AM
NO CABIN PRESSURE!!
Joined Jun 2007
262 Posts
The typhoon is entire foam but is as solid as balsa too. It is extremely 3d capable.

All regards,

The name above Calvin
YakkityYak55 is offline Find More Posts by YakkityYak55
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
If you fancy building your own this is something Ive been working on for a few months thats all EPP foam and covered in film, virtually indestructable even in my numpty hands. Ill try and get a vid up soon and hopefully plans to follow in a month or so. Just got a few flights in first before I add the bling !!

Hey Zero, found a piccy you can size it against. Just a tad bigger than the E-foamies squadron

Thats sharp----- you shipping to the states?
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
Thats sharp----- you shipping to the states?
Soz dude..its just gonna be a freeby plan for all to download.

The prototype is EPP ribs and spars abut theres no reason why you couldnt use other materials but it might not be as indestructo though. Its a bit trickier than the usual ARTF, but on the plus side if you got the basic materials its free
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:20 AM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Go and check out the Airfoilz line of planes. I have the edge and it tumbles so violently it is amazing. I am still waiting for the plane to come apart in mid air.

Kevin
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:27 AM
Jordan "Woody" King
Joined Jan 2006
526 Posts
You need to check out the Airfoilz like kevin mentioned. Check out some of the video's on their site, www.airfoilz.com They are extremely stiff and don't lose strength! They are EXCELLENT flyers!

Jordan King "Woody"
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
There it is!

BTW, I am not knocking any of these.