Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:57 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Fly-In
Lagoon Valley, Ca, Sept 9

Greetings Friends!

Posting first notice of the end of the summer Fun Fly at Lagoon Valley RC. Plan on coming out to meet and fly with your fellow electric flyers on Sunday Sept 9. We are still finalizing our agenda but plan on starting around 9:00 for general flying. For those that have not been here, we have a 15' by 130' matt runway with a cross wind runway of the same size. Lagoon Valley is located in north central California on I-80 between Vacaville and Fairfield.

Please contact myself or check back here later for more information.

Happy Flying!

Jim
Air Boss
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Aug 16, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Ok...the event is called the "Valley of Jets, and other Electric Aircraft!"

See you there....Captain Carlton!!!
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Aug 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,535 Posts
That's the same date as the Tomcat's(SCCMAS, San Jose, Ca) electric fun fly too!

Brian. an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:53 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Yep...we don't normally draw too many people that are further than 1 hour away. We have a handful from Concord and Berkely, Sac...etc. Plus the local Sherrif cooks up Law Dogs.

We'll have 50 ot 60 pilots....plus lots of lookers.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,535 Posts
decision, decision, decision..... you guy made me think hard....

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 18, 2007, 08:43 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Can you fly float planes at the Lagoon?? If so will float planes be flying there on the day of the meet? I drive by the lagoon frequently, but have never stopped to check it out.
You're right Brian, decisions, decisions.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:12 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Yeah sure! The runways are not adjacent to the water but really close to the access road. Just stop by, check in, and grab a freq pin. We have a few folks that fly of the water - I've been eyeing that new Elecrifly SeaWind EP so this might be an "excuse" to pick one up.

Jim
Air Boss
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:06 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Thanks Jim! I'll make it a point to check it out. No problem with the freq. pin, every thing I fly these days is 2.4
I really like the looks of the SeaWind EP and most of the reviews I've seen are on the plus side.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Aug 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Yah...we're kicking the idea arround about an official "float event" later after we get some more rain.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Directions

For those folks coming from out of town, here is a link to our web site with directions.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Aug 20, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Contests!

- Balloon pop - Scramble start, object is pop a balloon on a 3 ft long stick in the ground. A slow steady plane works best here.

- "Thin-the-Herd" - It won't be a speed run like last time, I think it will entail loops around a streamer 8 - 10 feet off the ground in a set amount of time. Slow and agile works best here.

- Streamer combat - Scramble start, each plane has a streamer attached. 5 min combat and the object is to cut the other streamer and keep yours intact. Longest streamer wins - there could be a fly off. EXPECT incidental contact. The best plane we have seen for this is the Simple Stick from HobbyPeople.net. Best $30 ever spent on a combat plane. Modifications are welcome but they really don't affect the basic nature of the beast.

- Wing combat - Scramble start with full contact combat. 5 minutes or until the last "scourge" is in the ground. Things like Zaggies and Combat Wings work best.

Jim
Air Boss
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Additional Update:

We have an 11" Top Gun Air Combat Trophy...to hand to the pilot who WINS the main combat event.

Are you good enought....join the fun Sept 9th. Ground Pounders need not apply.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:45 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
"Thin-the-Herd" will have PVC pipe...like a half width soccer goal. Hit the pipe...its chunks city. But no one will be going 100 mpg this time.

It about loops and finesse.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,300 Posts
Hey now,
I made it to this last year; big black van, whole lotta planes....
I had a blast! it's even a decent field. I plan on making it again this year.
Will there be a swap meet or planetrade section? I have a couple three models I don't fly much these days...
Um, I'd thought the Tomcats thing was on the eighth? Oh well, can't do both if they're the same day and I've seen all the stuff at Tomcats, well mostly
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Glad you had a good time last year! We have made some improvements on the field. Unfortunately, the ground is dry and hard so if you are looking to belly land on grass, you had better find Tiger Wood's backyard. We don't have specific plans for a swap meet or trade table but nothing to prohibit you from peddling your wares.

Jim
Air Boss
Last edited by jamesdr; Aug 23, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Closed Thread