HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2007, 11:14 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Contest
South Jersey Silent Flyers (SJSF) HLG Sept 15th & 16th

I'm happy to announce that the South Jersey Silent Flyers (SJSF) HLG contest will take place on September 15th & 16th. To paraphrase Mark Twain "The reports of the SJSF-DLG death are greatly exaggerated". Thanks to Phil Barnes and Doug "Sparky" Harnish for getting the ball rolling to save this great contest. And thanks to John Jenks for CDing this contest.

So please come out and support the South Jersey Silent Flyers (SJSF) HLG. The contest will be held at the Evans Mill Pond Field in Marlton NJ. For directions please see the SJSF web site. Eight and ten minutes rounds, no round starts after 3:00 on Saturday or 2:00 on Sunday.

This year we will fly tasks from the new F3K rules. Pre-registration is required, please register for the contest on the ESL site. You can pay at the field.

This contest is now on! I hope you can set aside the weekend for some fun, great competition and to meet a great bunch of guys!

Additional details to follow as those details are worked out and firmed up. I have offered to help John with some of the many details that need to be taken care of in putting on a contest. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you and I hope to see you at the field!

Sincerely,

Doug Logg
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Last edited by Vulture; Aug 08, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:08 AM
Doug Harnish
Hagerstown, Md.
Joined Aug 2007
163 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, everyone please talk this contest up.
Encourage everyone you can to sign up and come to the contest.

I know we have 4 from Hagerstown. How about the southern guys?
We “double dog dare” you to show up ;-)

See you all there..........

Doug. "Sparky" Harnish.
Dlhimself is offline Find More Posts by Dlhimself
Old Aug 09, 2007, 07:26 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Lunch at the contest will be hoagies (or...subs or grinders, depending upon where your from. ) Lunch will be about $5.00, just let us know what kind of hoagie you want when you sign in at the field.

Thanks,
Doug
Last edited by Vulture; Aug 09, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:08 PM
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Joined May 2004
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture
Lunch at the contest will be hoagies (or...subs or grinders, depending upon where your from. )
Being an ex-patriate South Jerseyian myself, I can tell you that subs are not the same as hoagies. For one thing, people ask you if want mayo on a sub, and I'd put mayo on breakfast cereal before I'd put it on a hoagie.

Bob
redietz is offline Find More Posts by redietz
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:39 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Guys, you asked for it. Now you got it, http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=30 registration is up and running. I was able to register this morning. Now we need everyone to register, and get your friends to register. Let's support this contest in a way that lets SJSF know that we are all interested. And at worst case they break even when putting on this contest. (gotta pay for that porta-potty ) As I'm sure you’re all aware the better we support a contest the better chance that it is held next year and the year after…etc. Due to low attendance last year it was thought that there wasn't enough interest to bother hosting a DLG contest this year. Let's not let that happen again. Use it or lose it. So tell your friends and family. Let's keep this an annual event on the ESL calendar.

If you’re using MapQuest to find the field, plug in 225 Tomlinson Mill Rd, Evesham, NJ. The grass flying field is located in Evesham, NJ at the intersection of Tomlinson Mill Road and Kettle Run, near the Marlton Parkway. The entrance to the field is at the sharp bend in the road. Be careful - this is easy to miss!

This is very convenient to the NJ Turnpike, I295 and Route #73 located in South Jersey just east of Philadelphia. This field is very easy to get to from anywhere in NJ and the surrounding New York and Philadelphia metropolitan area. So please come on out and support the contest.

I would encourage anyone that is interested in DLG to come on out and learn more in a day than you would learn in a year or two by yourself. Yes it's a contest, but it's not cut throat. It's a very friendly competition. If you don't have a plane come on out and watch, ask questions, time, spectate or lend a hand and learn. Maybe you'll be a contestant next year. Everyone that attends adds something to a contest. So come on out and be part of a great time in whatever capacity suits you. All are welcome. Do your part to keep this contest on the ESL calendar for years to come.

Thanks again to Doug "Sparky" Harnish and Phil Barnes for getting the ball rolling here on saving this contest. And a big thanks to John Jenks for CDing and being the point man at SJSF. Now it's time for you to do your part and register!!

Thank you for your support, I hope to see you at the SJSF DLG contest,
Doug Logg
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:43 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redietz
Being an ex-patriate South Jerseyian myself, I can tell you that subs are not the same as hoagies. For one thing, people ask you if want mayo on a sub, and I'd put mayo on breakfast cereal before I'd put it on a hoagie.

Bob
I stand corrected. Bob I take it you'll be haveing a hoagie for lunch.
Doug
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:11 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
LIST OF HOTELS NEAR SJSF FIELD

All are on or just off Rt. #73 at Exit #4 on the NJTPK, & Exit #36 on Rt. 295

Super 8 - Fellowship Road, Mt. Laurel - 856-802-2800
Econo Lodge - Fellowship Road, Mt. Laurel - 856-722-1919
Motel 6 - Rt. #73, Mt. Laurel - 856-235-3550
Red Roof Inn - Fellowship Road, Mt. Laurel - 856-234-5589
Howard Johnson Express - Rt. #73, Mt. Laurel - 856-778-3500
Comfort Inn - Mt. Laurel - 856-727-0010
Days Inn - Rt. #73, Maple Shade - 856-235-3200
Fairfield Inn - Century Parkway., Mt. Laurel - 856-642-0600
Candlewood Suites - 4000 Crawford Place, Mt. Laurel - 856-642-7567
Ramada Inn - Rt. #73, Mt. Laurel - 856-273-1900
Radisson Hotel - RT. #73, Mt. Laurel - 856-234-7300

All Hotels within one mile of each other and all about four miles from field.
Generally they are listed in order of increasing price.
Prices range from $60-$80 per night/weekend.

SJSF Field is one hour and twenty minutes from DBSF Field and
one hour and five minutes from SKSS Field driving on a Saturday morning.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 04:32 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,129 Posts
I'm in.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:08 AM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
I'm in.
Ken,

I look forward to seeing you again. Of course that just means I'm gonna get my butt kicked again. You did some great flying at LISF, my hats off to you. Hard to believe that was only your second contest. I hope you're bringing Nick with you. He's a nice kid I enjoyed meeting him. And this time you can let him time. Gotta keep his interest up.

Please spread the word amongst your flying buddies so that they know this contest is back on.

How about some of you other New England flyers? Ed, Killer, Felix, Jim... Mark? Come on down.

Doug
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,129 Posts
Thanks Doug.
It just goes to show how much one can learn at these contests.

I was lucky enough to have Phil Barnes break me in at my first contest, and at my second contest, Shane and Sparky had my back. Hard to go wrong with that kind of help....Thanks guys.

I have to say that Nick had a wonderful time....especially the second day when he learned to time. Ed Anderson encouraged Nick, while on the sidelines, to keep time with him. At the end of the round, the two times Nick kept were right on....he missed timing the third task...but, oh well.
So, like you say, we'll keep his interest up and hopefully he'll accompany me to all the contests. Soon, you may have another Sharp to contend with!

Looking forward to flying with you again.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
...Soon, you may have another Sharp to contend with! ...
For crying out loud... that's all I need!! Your scaring the heck out of me. I better get out and practice some more.

I'll see you in September.

Good Lift,
Doug
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:32 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
I would like to make a suggestion for Pizza dinner on Saturday. We had pizza at the field at the LISF-DGL contest and that seemed to work well. I asked John about possibly doing the same thing. He told me that there are a number of near by pizza joints that could deliver to the field. Is there interest in having pizza at the field for dinner on Saturday?

Doug
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:33 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlhimself
...I know we have 4 from Hagerstown. How about the southern guys?
We “double dog dare” you to show up ;-)

See you all there..........

Doug. "Sparky" Harnish.
Well I just checked registration and there is plenty of room left. And still none of the "Southern Guys" have taken you up on your "double dog dare". Come on guys it is SOUTH Jersey after all. Come on up and join the fun.

Doug
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,044 Posts
Guys at SJSF,

I am looking to make a return trip to So. Jersey this year. Last year I came down on Sat. and just before the first round I was test flying my plane and was getting hit. I brought it down and did a range test and got very limited range.

Are there any frequencies that give you problems there?

Has anyone had problems with ch 55?

I now have all new recievers compared to last year but I would like to be prepared and jump to another channel prior to coming if I needed to.

Either way I had a great time volunteering that day. Hope to get to compete this time around!!

Thanks

Frank N.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Frank,

Glad to see that you registered for Saturday. I have also forwarded your question on to the CD, don't know if he visits here or not.

Now how about the rest of the LISF DLG pilots? Need you to do a little persuading. Our buddy Peter hasn't registered. And I know there are a few others. And it's the last contest that is close by Long Island. Who about it guys, come on over to Jersey for some more fun and games.

We'll even do the a Poker round just for you guys since you like it so much. Gonna get my a** kicked again. What the heck it's all fun and games.

Thanks for your support,
Doug